• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

primer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2008
S/W Montana
Had a odd thing happen the other day..took my bolt gun out which I havent shot in awhile, running 175 Sierra with 42.0 grns of IMR 4064..anyway I was shooting off the bench and had some sandbags under the forend and butt. Kept getting an odd flyer here and there, and was getting alittle frustrated. For my last 4 shots, I moved the bags off the table and used the bipod. with only 1 bag under the butt, I fired 4 shots into a ragged hole..seems weird the best group of the day was off the bipod and not on the bags..dumb luck?

Re: Bags vs. bipod

The bipod puts the upward load on the stock in a different place than do bags.
If the gun is light ( a sporter), holding on to the fore end while shooting off bags will usually give better results.
If the barrel is not free floated (really free floated), the upward pressure may vary enough to cause the difference. Try it out.

I shoot better off my bipod than I do my expensive windage adjustable front rest....go figure. I guess mt bench technique sucks, oh well!

Bags or bipod, it's all about maintaining aim until recoil has subsided. The best results will come with whatever support that manupulates recoil to an appointed limit and pattern.