• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Baiting Hogs.

Blackgloves

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2020
I have a place that is a tad far away to get to more than once quarter. So I keep a feeder tossing a little corn just to keep the hogs coming around. My brother stopped by yesterday to check a few things and found the feeder was down in a flood and all the corn ruined. It could not be fixed.

So next time I go, i'd like some ideas on how to bait hogs late on a Friday night so I have a better chance of seeing them on Saturday morning.

Any suggestions?

Hogs will tear up some soured/ruined corn, so unless it was all but completely ate by insects I'd say you could still use it.

Souring your own corn works well in most places. Fill up a 5 gallon bucket and add a half can of Koolaid powder to it, before filling up the bucket with water and letting sit in the sun for at least 4-5 days.

While a pretty good method, you can't assume that you can throw it out one day and hogs will be coming out of the woodwork and waiting for you to appear again the next. It may take a few days for them to range over close enough to find it. Or they may cross your scent by the bait and be wary (more common that many people think). Or they've been baited and trapped somewhere before, in which case the hogs previously exposed to it are probably never going to come in close to a pile again.

Regardless, throwing out bait once and hoping for success the next morning is not a high probability for success method. I hope you get lucky though. Good luck.

Any of my dogs can easily find me after I lay down a 2 hour old track. It doesn't matter if I'm wearing leather boots, sneakers, or rubber boots or even some kind of scent hider. If I hide from them and I am upwind at 300 yds, they come right to me following the wind. Our dogs can even find scent buried in the ground and in a bucket of water (we train for this). Extrapolate this to deer and hogs who smell just as good and it's easy to see why any game animal will scent you no matter what you are wearing within 300/400 yrds IF the wind carries the slightest hint of human to their noses. How they respond to smelling you is based on their fear of man. Some deer will disregard it if it is faint, but smart animals quickly head for the next county. Thus, I put zero confidence in cover scents and always hunt into the wind.

In regard to hogs, you need to get a feeder that sprays food on a routine basis for consistent visits. We had 5 feeders set up on 900 ac. set to spray everyday about 1 hour apart with game cameras on each feeder. Once the feeders were established and IF there were hogs present, we would see the hogs going from one feeder to the next based on when they sprayed usually showing up 1 hour after the spray. Often the hogs would leave the area for a month or two and then return. I don't know if it was hunting pressure or something else.

Reactions: diggler1833
PVC Hog roller works well. Small amount of diesel mixed into the sour corn is even better. Make sure to use good bolts/hardware with whatever you attach it to.

Reactions: Nicholas Borne
^ This is a crime to cheap beer.

Plain old water will get it stinking enough for hogs to smell from a long way off.

There is way too much thinking going into this. 1. Leave scent (corn). 2. Try not to leave your scent. 3. Practice noise and movement discipline if necessary. 4. Always remember to take a shit before heading out.

Reactions: Aescobar17
Use post hole diggers to dig as deep as you can, fill with corn, but leave 10-12" of room to backfill with dirt and tamp it down. As it sours it will drive them nuts and they'll spend weeks root'n to get to it all, probably want to do several...
Won't attract deer though, and no "feeder" to worry about. ;)

Like everyone above sour corn (there are all kinds of ”recipes” on the web). I would definitely set up a camera on the feeder and immediately check it when you get out there. Hogs in a sounder will get on a “schedule” at feeders. you’ll be able to pin them down. Big boars will roam from sounder to sounder and are more random in their feeder appearances. In my area, Northern LA, there is not much at all left to eat in the woods in Jan/February so they come to the feeders more. They are more weary from hunting season so its mostly evening/night.

Use post hole diggers to dig as deep as you can, fill with corn, but leave 10-12" of room to backfill with dirt and tamp it down. As it sours it will drive them nuts and they'll spend weeks root'n to get to it all, probably want to do several...
Won't attract deer though, and no "feeder" to worry about. ;)

If one can afford to have a bomb crater on their property, this is a pretty good idea to keep them in one spot for a bit. Highly recommended a few wheelbarrows of dirt on standby to fix what gets left behind.

Reactions: smcfarland
I have a similar issue to where I can’t get to my place quickly. I’ve tried several things to get them in same day or from the night before but haven’t had much luck.

It really depends on where they are in the area. I’ve had some really nasty corn I thought would draw them in and nothing. Another time I put out regular corn, went to the other side of my property for 2 hours and they’d cleared it out before I got back.

I’ve found no rhyme or reason to their movement on our place.

Pigs are predatory nomads, & don't stay put in any one area for very long. I'd venture to say that there's little chance of truly "scheduling" a meeting and it's more of a game of chance. If I see one, I will shoot it to take it out of the food chain (they eat anything; wild fowl & eggs, baby deer, and destroy crops and habitat) I leave them laying. I can't eat them, that's my kryptonite to trigger gout.

Hog rollers was my suggestion too. More bomb proof than a mechanical feeder, and the sound of it being disturbed on the ground is easy to mimick once you are set up in a blind or a stand.

Reactions: diggler1833
I have had some stick to a roller for an hour or so at a time. I've also had just as many instances of them not touching a roller.

Another option, my best friend got this one...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1611531005747.jpg
    FB_IMG_1611531005747.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 52
Any tips for the barrel / roller? I put one out in a known place with hogs and they wouldn’t touch it
Don’t stink it up with human scent. There are plenty of recipes on the internet, corn and beer etc. Some guys I knew put bells on their rollers and had the same bells in their blind. Just had to ring the dinner bell and wait.

Any tips for the barrel / roller? I put one out in a known place with hogs and they wouldn’t touch it

Not all hogs go to rollers. As was previously mentioned, keep your scent off of it. I try to pour a little soured corn juice over the roller...but it hasn't worked just as much as it has. I also leave a healthy amount of soured corn under the roller to try to get them started.

Reactions: Rerun7
We put a couple of packs of any red jello in our soured corn seems to help attract a little better also tried diesel fuel to keep deer out but everything ate it about the same or better

Do you guys find any difference in hog activity when it’s really cold? I may get out Saturday but the high is in the 20’s. I’ve typically only hunted them in the warmer months

Do you guys find any difference in hog activity when it’s really cold? I may get out Saturday but the high is in the 20’s. I’ve typically only hunted them in the warmer months

I've found that hogs are like deer in that they move more when a cold front hits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rerun7