• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes balistic data card question??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I have a question i was hoping someone here could help me with. I was looking at my sierra ballistic data program and some of the input questions i dont understand. When it ask you to put the information about scope height in the calculation i dont know were to measure from? i know you need to go from the center line of the bore, but i dont know if i should measure center line of the scope. or top or bottom of the scope. So my questions is- do i measure from center line of the bore to the center line of the scope reticule, or center line of the bore to the bottom of the scope or top of the scopes ocular bell? Please advise. this input request makes a huge difference in the outcome. thanks Lee

Re: balistic data card question??

Centerline of bore, to centerline of scope, at the end of the ocular bell above your bore.

Bob

Centerline of bore to centerline of scope. I usually just use my calipers to measure from the vent hole on an R700 receiver to the middle of the scope tube. A few thousandths won't change stuff too much, but a 1/4" or more difference will make a difference in your output.

The answer is the same as the above, centerline to centerline. The technique of finding it is different. I put a cleaning rod down the muzzle and into/through the action. Use my calipers to measure from the bottom of the cleaning rod to the top of the scope tube. Subtract half the diameter of the scope tube. Subtract half the diameter of the cleaning rod. This has worked for me for ARs, all variety of bolt guns, pumps, and lever actions.

Way too complicated.

It's easy to measure with a ruler to a tenth of an inch. Try changing the scope height input in a ballistic program by that much to see what effect it has down range. The answer is "not much".