• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ball VS. Stick

Re: Ball VS. Stick

Neither.

Steak.

Every dog I've seen trains faster with steak than with a ball OR a stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither.

Steak.

Every dog I've seen trains faster with steak than with a ball OR a stick. </div></div>

Very Funny !

Seriously though, what specific round?
And Varget has a VERY good reputation overall. Followed by RL15,then (for me at least..)H4895 or IMR 4895, and H322 is fantastic in my 45/70.

As a generalization, stick powders usually burn cleaner. But not always. Ball powder's burn rate is controlled by adding graphite to the coating on it. But some ball powders like the REloader series do VERY well.

I have used a lot of the IMR stick powders. I like it a lot. But if it's clean or not will depend a lot on the pressures that occur when it's fired. There has to be enough pressure to cause the powder to all / or at least mostly burn or you'll get a mess to clean up.

Good luck with your choices.

But seriously, folks!

I looked deeply into this question about four years ago and came out with these points:

1. Spherical powders *can* be made to have lower flame temp = longer bore life, in general, compared to stick powders.

2. Stick powders in general tend to be far less temperature sensitive, for velocity, than spherical powders.

3. Spherical powders IME seemed to give larger extreme spreads in velocity, as a function of charge weight variation, than stick powders. Thrown but not weighed charges for sticks could to 80 fps, while sphericals would also go anywhere from 40-80 fps ES. See charge weight observations below

4. Charge weight variations seemed less critical for velocity ES with stick powders. Thrown charges were 90% within +/- .3 grain (spread = .6 grain) with stick, while thrown charges with spherical were +/- .1 grain EVERY TIME. As noted above, though, the ES for thrown charges was usually very close to being the same between the two powders. When I weigh stick powders to +/- .1 grain, however, the ES goes down to 30 or fewer FPS.

5. Accuracy could be outstanding with EITHER type of powder. No trends found there.

These observations held in both .308 and .223 loading, 30 caliber bullet weights from 147 to 190 grains, and mousegun loads with 52- to 80-grain bullets.

Which is better? Depends on what you want your loads to do, and whether long barrel life is very important to you. Some people want to load ammo fast, don't mind chasing zeros according to temperature, and want to get more life out of their barrels. Sphericals loaded on a progressive are best for that. For shooting out to 600, less temperature/velocity variation, volume production, and no real cares about barrel life, stick powders on a progressive will also do.

For shooting beyond 600 yards, I'd recommend either stick powders, or any spherical powder that is giving an ES of 40 fps or less, preferably 30 fps or less, if you can find one.

For shooting a lot if unknown distance targets beyond 500, I'd stick with weighed charges of stick, 'cause they stick to your zero better when it's hot and sticky out there. For many people, the increased wear in their stick's barrel is worth using stick.