• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ballistic FTE & 115 DTACs?

rtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
Just downloaded Ballistic FTE and can't find 115 DTACs in the projectiles. So am I missing it? Or if it isn't there can I put in my own projectile? If so how?

Re: Ballistic FTE & 115 DTACs?

Thanks what BC and which drag model have folks had success with for this bullet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little Q on the sideline here..
How does one change to metric in Ballistic FTE, I only see yards and inches, but need meters... </div></div>

Go to your "General" settings in the iPhone menu (not in Ballistic) and you can change it there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks what BC and which drag model have folks had success with for this bullet? </div></div>

G7 .276 is what I would try.
wink.gif
(according to Bryan Litz)

The DTACs I have and have used were bought about a year ago, they have a hollow point, they are boron nitride coated.

Using the BCs provided here along with good chrono, elevation and temperature data I still don't get very good data from ballistic. I have good data from shooting the gun, velocity of 2958fps at 5200ft. temp 50 20% humidity. From shooting it I get

100 yards 0 MOA
200 0.75 MOA
300 2.0 MOA
400 4.0 MOA
425 4.25 MOA

So can anyone suggest what to adjust in ballistic to get better data? The one variable I don't have great data is the height of the scope over bore, if I measure from the middle of the elevation knob to eyeballing the middle of the chamber I get approx 2", is there a better way to measure this? It's a rem 700 action, NF 40moa base, NF rings (not sure what height) with a 3.5-15x56 NXS.

I had the same deal with the Berger 108s. They aren't on it either.

Just have to manually put in the stats. For the 108s you have to even put in the weight because there are no 108gr projectiles in the system.

Does anyone know how often they update it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The DTACs I have and have used were bought about a year ago, they have a hollow point, they are boron nitride coated.

Using the BCs provided here along with good chrono, elevation and temperature data I still don't get very good data from ballistic. I have good data from shooting the gun, velocity of 2958fps at 5200ft. temp 50 20% humidity. From shooting it I get

100 yards 0 MOA
200 0.75 MOA
300 2.0 MOA
400 4.0 MOA
425 4.25 MOA

So can anyone suggest what to adjust in ballistic to get better data? The one variable I don't have great data is the height of the scope over bore, if I measure from the middle of the elevation knob to eyeballing the middle of the chamber I get approx 2", is there a better way to measure this? It's a rem 700 action, NF 40moa base, NF rings (not sure what height) with a 3.5-15x56 NXS. </div></div>
rtr, I had a similar problem initially - obviously bad elevation calculations even though I carefully checked each of the inputs a couple times. I suspect that it's possible to enter inputs that seem OKay, but are not - perhaps by hitting a non-numerical "key" or other character by mistake. To fix the problem, I did a reset inside Ballistic FTE, then started over and was very careful not to hit any weird "keys." After that, I got reasonable numbers from the program and it's been OKay ever since I did the reset.

I am very happy with this piece of software. You can set up basic calculations for all of your rifles, check them against JBM, store them as Favorites, then recall them while you're at the range, touch up the environmental inputs, and you're GTG.

To address your problem, you might cross check against JBM. Some settings in Ballistic FTE need explanation, and it's possible that your inputs aren't what you think they are. I would start by resetting the program to the defaul values and getting numbers at sea level. Once you get good numbers at sea level, then input the numbers for your local environment and see whether they come out OKay. Good luck.

By reset you mean resetting the defaults or something else?

I reset the defaults and deleted my load from favorites and reentered the data but still get bad data.

Yes, I meant do the reset in Ballistic FTE, which deletes everything you have added. Then start with one of the default loads, say 308Win, from the library. Change the caliber, bullet weight and BC, and the muzzle velocity. Run the calculation and see if you get reasonable numbers at 1000 yards. If you do, then change the environmental conditions and recalculate. This should give you a clue to the problem.