• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ballistic FTE-iPhone. ..

netranger6

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Vicoria, Texas
Was using yesterday out to 600 but dope was way off. Called for 4.8 mil elevation at 600. At 1-500 it was dead on but 6,off big time. True dope at 6 was 4. Banging steel all day. Was shooting FGGM 175. Any suggestions on why or what to check.

Re: Ballistic FTE-iPhone. ..

I've been using FTE for a little over a month now and using the Density Altitude (DA) setting instead for temp, alt, pressure. Seems to work good to 1,200 yards when I dont have extra wind dialed in
crazy.gif

Give me the following and I'll run it in mine with various DA's;

Bullet & weight
Actual velocity, not off the box either
Sight Height
Zero Yards
mil or moa

Did you re-confirm your 100 yard zero prior to shooting or were you 100% confident of it?

I confirmed zero. Adjusted .1 right and locked turret. My velocity is et at 2600 as I don't have a chrono, never have run a chrono.

Bullet: 175 smk, FGGM
SIGHT HEIGHT: 1.5 but I changed it from 1.93. I measured that at the chamber. But changing the size had no affect on dope output in the HUD interface. Gonna re-measure height at the bell.
Zero yards: 100
MIL

Thanks man.

175 SMK G1 BC .495
2650 fps (need actual to be accurate)
DA @ 1000 / 2500 (need actual to be accurate) Kestrel 4500NV
Zero @ 100 Yards
Sight Height 1.5

All in mils
DA of 1000 / 2500

600 4.41 / 4.3
700 5.69 / 5.57
800 7.13 / 6.96
900 8.75 / 8.51
1000 10.58 / 10.25

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I confirmed zero. Adjusted .1 right and locked turret. My velocity is et at 2600 as I don't have a chrono, never have run a chrono</div></div>

That could be your problem right there. Like any calculator: shit in, shit out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That could be your problem right there. Like any calculator: shit in, shit out.</div></div>

Agreed, though i've had better luck with Ballistic shooter app over FTE. Course ballistic is also more convenient for me though being on my phone. Though maybe i was doing something different on FTE. When comparing with JBM even marking JBMs engine in the settings on FTE i was getting varying results, that were too much for my taste. Must've been doing something wrong.

yep, velocity makes big changes at distance. I chrono load batches and use FTE. Been spot on to 600+ yds every time.

it has been working for me pretty good for a couple of years, not always dead on but damn near.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For some readon I cant get the DA setting to work on my phone???? </div></div>

Settings-BallisticFTE-JBM Computer-Atmosphere change the format to Density Altitude

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For some readon I cant get the DA setting to work on my phone???? </div></div>

Settings-BallisticFTE-JBM Computer-Atmosphere change the format to Density Altitude </div></div>
Thanks cobra, needed that!

sometimes (often), the BC from the factory is optimist
I always control the distance at 100 and 200m and adjust the BC to find the "field" correction
At 600m and more, it'll be ok at the first shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For some readon I cant get the DA setting to work on my phone???? </div></div>

Settings-BallisticFTE-JBM Computer-Atmosphere change the format to Density Altitude </div></div>
Thanks cobra, needed that!</div></div>

In Ballistic FTE I selected Density Altitude but the input box is labeled lb/ft^3, as if I selected air density instead. Is this a programming bug, ie they forgot to change the label to ft or meters?

Shooter for iPhone is a better and easier to use program. $9.99 in the app store. I have both and never use FTE anymore.