• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report ballistic programs

Re: ballistic programs

Nightforce offers a good one.

Yes JBM works great too but I thought he wantd something to bring to the range and JBM is online. If you have internet then use JBM.

The very best ballistic program on the market for your laptop is the RSI Ballistic Lab. Except for JBM's online, RSI is one of the few ballistic programs using the same ballistic models used by the US Army developed at the Aberdeen Proving grounds. It also has ballistic modeling tools no other programs offer

Bryan Litz's new ballistic program and book is also very good I hear. He's a creative ballistic genius and head ballistic technician at Berger Bullets. I’ve just been too busy to remember or actually want to order his new book and ballistic program. I know if I order it I’ll spend days trying to reverse engineer his ballistic calculations and that’s time I don’t currently have.

I’ve read that his program is still a work in progress, is very accurate and with a large updated ballistic library but lacks some tools other programs have. Below is his link
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/Book.htm

Hope it helps

Mike,
Check your email. I sent you something that you can use until you find something better. It is in Excel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pirate-69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,
Check your email. I sent you something that you can use until you find something better. It is in Excel.
</div></div>

That may be the excel program Dave King and I as well as a few others worked on. It's fairly simple but it works.

How accurate is Sierra's new program...Infinity V6..exterior ballistics?

After posting...its not a fair question to Sierra. I'll work things out. It seems to do all I need. More rounds down range & less thinking...!
Thanks

How accurate is any ballistic program? And how would one know?

I have run many ballistic programs. Most do a pretty good job of modeling atmospheric drag.

Every one I have ever run required modifications to get my field shooting data to match the predictions of the program. Most programs lack an explicit mechanism for that, and the primary modifications are modifying the BC and/or the muzzle velocity.

In addition, a user who expects accuracy from a ballistic program must ensure that the program has good data. That includes, but is not limited to:

1. Good muzzle velocity data.
2. Variation of muzzle velocity with temperature.
3. Careful calibration of scope adjustments.

In other words, the accuracy of a ballistic program is at least as dependent on the user as it is on the program.

Having said that, I would expect Sierra's program to model the atmosphere and projectile drag very well.

My current primary choice of ballistic programs is more a function of the feature set and it's usability in the field - I want a program that runs on a PDA - than it is of the "accuracy" of the program.

Bryan Litz's book has good information on use of ballistic programs.

Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting

I'm very glad Bryan wrote that book, so I wouldn't have to.
laugh.gif

[/quote]
That may be the excel program Dave King and I as well as a few others worked on. It's fairly simple but it works. [/quote]

To say "...it works." is a bit of an understatement
smile.gif

Another very good Excel program is the Pesja spreadsheet/program found at jacksonrifles.com