• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic Software apps for the iphone4

Re: Ballistic Software apps for the iphone4

1,000 post and you haven't seen the twenty or so threads on this already? Do a search for Bullet Flight or Ballsitic FTE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1,000 post and you haven't seen the twenty or so threads on this already? Do a search for Bullet Flight or Ballsitic FTE </div></div>

ditto.

i have both of those, and tend to use bullet flight more because it's so user friendly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1,000 post and you haven't seen the twenty or so threads on this already? Do a search for Bullet Flight or Ballsitic FTE</div></div>

Cant say that I have. And everytime I do a search it gives me everything but what I searched for, This is why I ask.

But thank you for the two you gave me to look look for.

I don't have the link to the snipershide search engine, but if you type the keyword plus snipershide into google it will show a lot of the stuff on here first. Read through the threads on those before you buy, each one is like twenty bucks. Good luck

I also found this one not too long ago. compared it to some of calcs of JBM and it's dead on. The only draw back is, it wont give you a table only the spec range you specify. But it also has a feature where you can choose the type of reticle you have.

Being this good can only mean that it probably wont stay free for long.
Strelok App for Android

... and an android app has what to do with an iphone, s1gnal?

...Not a damn thing. Not one damn thing
blush.gif

Thanks slgnal for the info on the app.

Why not just go online to JBM and get the calculation there?
I go online with my Nokia E72 all the time and get the FULL drop chart to 3000m

Cheers,

Master Diver

KAC BulletFlight the best and most intuitive app I have used thus far.

1+
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camaroguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KAC BulletFlight the best and most intuitive app I have used thus far. </div></div>

I have the iphone and an android; I found a good android program, but when I searched on the iphone app store nothing really good showed up. I'm going to download the Bulletflight for iphone and see how it works.

Not trying to start a war here, but the OP has every right to ask any question he wants, whether it's been asked 100 times or not. You guys bitching about this post being redundant is not cool. On just about any forum I've been on, the search function returns way to much garbage about 90% of the time and not relevant. And really, personally I like to ask questions in my own words, I'm more engaged in the thread, and so what if it's redundant.

Have a beer, shoot your gun and be happy! Not exactly in that order though...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gordyd4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I downloaded BulletFlight M3; nice software.
Will this work on an iPod touch? </div></div>
You bet! I'm enjoying it on iPod Touch 4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gordyd4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I downloaded BulletFlight M3; nice software.

The only thing you loose is the ability to draw local weather automatically. Just ask a fellow shooter or use a hand held.

I started out messing with an itouch and got hooked so I went with an iphone 4 because I got sick of seeing that I needed connectivity for all the apps I wanted to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: im_pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gordyd4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I downloaded BulletFlight M3; nice software.
The only thing you loose is the ability to draw local weather automatically. Just ask a fellow shooter or use a hand held.</div></div>
Well, it's a bit trickier than that...

1. You <span style="text-decoration: underline">can</span> get local weather if your shooting area has WiFi, or - when there's no Wifi but cell coverage exists - if you purchased MiFi also called <span style="font-style: italic">Internet2Go</span>) from one of Internet providers or telcos (a cigarette pack-sized device that acts as a gateway between your local WiFi devices like iTouch and 3G/4G cellular network).
  2. Some shooting areas not only don't have WiFi but are also way out of range for cellular as well - in which case it won't make any difference whether you've got iPhone or iTouch: no connection mean no connection.
    grin.gif
  3. It is very rare that the "reported local weather" is really local to where you're shooting. For example, my shooting place is surrounded by AWOS (Automated Weather Observing System installed in many airports) on all the four cardinal directions, distance from "my spot" between 15 and 30 miles. And what do you know - on-the-spot weather data from my Kestrel is always different. This difference is not drastic but perceptible. Then there's wind which differs a lot from spot to spot...
So overall I prefer <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> to rely on downloaded weather reports - but get my own on-the-spot data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started out messing with an itouch and got hooked so I went with an iphone 4 because I got sick of seeing that I needed connectivity for all the apps I wanted to use. </div></div>
Yeah I hear you
grin.gif
. iPhone is very tempting - but it costs, and I hate AT&T (have technical reasons for that
smile.gif
), and I want to see whether Verizon network survives the iPhone-generated traffic.

Wonder what applications you're talking about. So far the only ones I used that needed connections were Aviation (and "civilian") Weather, email, and Skype.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: im_pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gordyd4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I downloaded BulletFlight M3; nice software.
The only thing you loose is the ability to draw local weather automatically. Just ask a fellow shooter or use a hand held.</div></div>
Well, it's a bit trickier than that...

1. You <span style="text-decoration: underline">can</span> get local weather if your shooting area has WiFi, or - when there's no Wifi but cell coverage exists - if you purchased MiFi also called <span style="font-style: italic">Internet2Go</span>) from one of Internet providers or telcos (a cigarette pack-sized device that acts as a gateway between your local WiFi devices like iTouch and 3G/4G cellular network).
  2. Some shooting areas not only don't have WiFi but are also way out of range for cellular as well - in which case it won't make any difference whether you've got iPhone or iTouch: no connection mean no connection.
    grin.gif
  3. It is very rare that the "reported local weather" is really local to where you're shooting. For example, my shooting place is surrounded by AWOS (Automatic Weather Observing System installed in many airports) on all the four cardinal directions, distance from "my spot" between 15 and 30 miles. And what do you know - on-the-spot weather data from my Kestrel is always different. This difference is not drastic but perceptible. Then there's wind which differs a lot from spot to spot...
So overall I prefer <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> to rely on downloaded weather reports - but get my own on-the-spot data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started out messing with an itouch and got hooked so I went with an iphone 4 because I got sick of seeing that I needed connectivity for all the apps I wanted to use. </div></div>
Yeah I hear you
grin.gif
. iPhone is very tempting - but it costs, and I hate AT&T (have technical reasons for that
smile.gif
), and I want to see whether Verizon network survives the iPhone-generated traffic.

Wonder what applications you're talking about. So far the only ones I used that needed connections were Aviation (and "civilian") Weather, email, and Skype. </div></div>

My Friend saw this software on my phone and wanted it.We were not sure if the ipod touch was compatible. But it does not matter now.
We had AT&T iPhones for over a year. AT&T sucks here in San Diego.!
We went over to the Verizon store the other day and bought Iphones. I had to buy out the AT&T contract; I have not seen the bill, but I'm sure it will be a few hundred dollars to buy out the contract.

So I gave him my iphone 3Gs. It has full functionality except the phone does not work, and the wifi and bluetooth operate fine.

Wonder what applications you're talking about. So far the only ones I used that needed connections were Aviation (and "civilian") Weather, email, and Skype. [/quote]

Mouse thanks for the great info. I am still in Germany and haven't had a chance to use the app at a range...hell I am new to long range shooting so I still have a lot of learning to do.
I didn't even think about coverage but I can see how that would be an issue. I guess a Kestral will be in my near future purchases.

I was referring to mostly weather and nav programs. The weather here sucks so it's invaluable to have the ability to update. I have always been told that if you don't like the weather in Germany wait a few minutes.

One thing more. It is a question which app is more accurate - Ballistic FTE or Bullet Flight. At least for some people (more experienced that myself) Bullet Flight produced numbers closer to the actual bullet impact than the numbers obtained from Ballistic FTE.

Trying to make absolutely sure I feed the two programs absolutely the same input - I got them between 0.2 and 0.4 mil apart at 2000m distance.

From my experience - Bullet Flight wins hands-down the interface and usability issues. NO contest at all. Also, Bullet Flight has better support - at least more responsive (in my experience): my emails were usually answered the same day. While Jonathan who supports Ballistic FTE may or may not respond.

Now I use Ballistic FTE when I want to compare multiple loads (it also generates very nice graphs
smile.gif
), and Bullet Flight when I need to figure where a particular shot would go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't even think about coverage but I can see how that would be an issue. I guess a Kestrel will be in my near future purchases.</div></div>
Europe in general and Germany in particular are much more urbanized/populated that US. So it may be likely that whatever location you're allowed to shoot, would have cell coverage.

Still, Kestrel would be invaluable - see below.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was referring to mostly weather and nav programs. The weather here sucks so it's invaluable to have the ability to update. I have always been told that if you don't like the weather in Germany wait a few minutes.</div></div>
If your weather is prone to rapid changes - then what good for you are the hourly updates that you can download from the Internet? And this is on top of those reporting stations being at distance from where exactly you are - and thus reporting weather <span style="text-decoration: underline">there</span> rather than <span style="text-decoration: underline">here</span>.

Also, as the experienced people here say - learn to "guess" or "evaluate" the wind, and for that again Kestrel is irreplaceable (for how else can you validate your estimation, and thus correct it?).

Ive always uses ballistic fte but Im gonna look at the bullet flight

For field use the JBM in an iphone or touch is a hard one to beat. If you know what your doing you can put these in a certain Magellan device and turn "ALL" of its features on!

I had bullet flight but prefer ballistics fte -fed properly this program has got me hits at 7"x7" targets at 1100 yards no problems , I figure its a very accurate program .I have been confused though trying to introduce a new load into it -I don't do it a lot as I have little need to but trying to help a mate out it has me guessing sometimes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had bullet flight but prefer ballistics fte -fed properly this program has got me hits at 7"x7" targets at 1100 yards no problems , I figure its a very accurate program .I have been confused though trying to introduce a new load into it -I don't do it a lot as I have little need to but trying to help a mate out it has me guessing sometimes </div></div>

+1, Ballistics FTE is a pretty darn cool app.

I've used Ballistic FTE, works good for me.

use the link in my signature to search through google and find what you are looking for very fast.

I use ballistic, it's programmer used to be here on the hide, don't know if he is active anymore? think he went by Z or ZDAR or something like that...

I have BulletFlight L2 and it works great for me, looks like you cant go wrong with Bullet Flight or Ballistic FTE though.

I've got Ballistic and love it, have shot from matches from 200-1000 using the soft dope from it just based on knowing bullet and MV, and was within a tenth or two the whole way back. (Forgot my dope book at home, got lucky.)

If I had it to do again, I'd get Ballistic FTE for the bells and whistles, but check the feature list, see if the difference is worth $10 to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcatsfan11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have BulletFlight L2 and it works great for me, looks like you cant go wrong with Bullet Flight or Ballistic FTE though. </div></div>
I like them both, and because of different feature sets - have/use them both.