• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ballistic specific turrets?

bullfisher

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2012
Do all major manufacturers have a ballistic specific line of scope/turrets? I can only think of a few.

Re: ballistic specific turrets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bullfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do all major manufacturers have a ballistic specific line of scope/turrets? I can only think of a few.</div></div>

No, not all do. ...is there another part to that question?

With the ballistic specific turrets you are limited to one temp, one elevation, etc. It is ok if it is your hunting rifle and you do not plan on traveling to hunt.

With that said it is easier to just dial to the number you need and go from there.

Save your money on them. They are close only one time of year. They will be off when the seasons change. Temp, humidity etc. will be different in each season and then the BDC is useless. Just learn your factory turrets

I guess I wouldn't go as far as some in my criticism of the idea. I think of them as simply a reference point. In a situation where perfect correction isn't critical, you may be close enough. With changing atmospheric conditions, you can still refer to a data book for more precise corrections off of the standard markings. Some shooters may find it easier to set initially to 600 then back off two clicks rather than looking in the data book and dialing in the full MOA or MIL adjustment. It obviously doesn't change the mechanics of how the scope is adjusting, just the way we reference it. The guys I worry about are the ones that you see in the big box store two days before hunting season thinking that the BDC on their new $300 scope means they can just dial the range without regard to load or other variables.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJY65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I wouldn't go as far as some in my criticism of the idea. I think of them as simply a reference point. In a situation where perfect correction isn't critical, you may be close enough. With changing atmospheric conditions, you can still refer to a data book for more precise corrections off of the standard markings. Some shooters may find it easier to set initially to 600 then back off two clicks rather than looking in the data book and dialing in the full MOA or MIL adjustment. It obviously doesn't change the mechanics of how the scope is adjusting, just the way we reference it. <span style="font-weight: bold">The guys I worry about are the ones that you see in the big box store two days before hunting season thinking that the BDC on their new $300 scope means they can just dial the range without regard to load or other variables</span>. </div></div>

There are a lot of people that have been shooting a long time that have no idea about this. At best they think that as long as the bullet weight is the same it will all hit the same place. Some don't even get that far they just assume that the second, third, and fourth line are good for all ammo and calibers.

BDC reticles have become quite fashionable these days and more companies are marketing them.

You didn't state whether you were thinking of buying one or your opinion of them. However, I will just say that I prefer building my own drop chart. Then I can dial my turrets with confidence. I have several drop charts for different ammo and environmental conditions.

IMO, they just support a false sense of accuracy. The reasons have already been mentioned. It's interesting that they are primarily marketed to hunters. With most game cartridges you can easily set a max. PBR zero out to 300-350 yards and not even worry about the variables affecting ballistics. Beyond that distance, you need to take them into account. A BDC reticle/turrets are not flexible enough for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PBR zero out to 300-350 yards and not even worry about the variables affecting ballistics. Beyond that distance, you need to take them into account. A <span style="font-weight: bold">BDC reticle/turrets are not flexible enough for that</span>. </div></div>

I guess that's the part I'm not sure I agree with. As long as you know your adjustments based on atmospherics, it shouldn't make a bit of difference if the baseline is a mark on the turret that says "600" or "UP 5 MOA". Either way, you need to compensate by adding or subtracting a few clicks of elevation from the standard conditions based on your data book or interpolation.