• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BallisticArc MV Variations

howe0001

USMC6345
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2014
Johnson City, TN
So, my stupid question:

Preface: I use Shooter, Strelok, Trasol, Hornady and Ballistic Arc. I'm fairly familiar with all of them. I'm not asking which is best or better. I'm asking a specific question about BallisticArc. How do faithful users of BA account for MV variations as I've outlined below and in my followup message. I know other apps can account for MV temperature variations, that is not my question. How do users of BA manage MV variations with temperature.

In almost all other ballistic calc apps, the app has input for the MV taken at the current temperature - in order to account for MV variation with temperature. With BallisticArc, it has no such input, only MV, so my question is - if I intend to use BA, I'll need to put in my MV for the current temperature I'm shooting in the "armory>rifle" section of the app for each new event (unless the temperature is the same as the last time I used the app)? I know there are other apps that account for that, so this is not a question about "hey you, use another app", I'm simply trying to make sure I'm grasping all the required info prior to using any app. MV variation will definitely change your elevation if you don't account for it no matter what app you are using. Some apps have this process baked in. It seems BA does not have it baked in , therefore the user must account for the variable.

Does anyone have any insight on BA specifically as it relates to this issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you have the weather meter that goes with it, BA can adjust your dope based on Density altitude. The temp is a factor in the DA.
Try this and see if it helps

tnc, thanks for your reply. I do have the meter and have been testing with DA and T/H/P. Still the issue I have is that if I input my MV taken at 36 degrees farenheit (when I settled on the load after development), the MV for 36d is 2602 fps... if I use that MV and try to use BA in 80 degree weather (same altitude, same station pressure ) the holdover for 1000 is going to be 11.5 mils... IF I input my collected MV for 80 d weather which is 2658, the holdover is 10.6 mil... that's like 36 inches at 1000 yards. So, my work around is I have copied my rifle profile for every 20 degrees in BA. So if I'm shooting in 60 degree weather, I choose that profile which has the MV of 2632 and my holdover for 1000y is 10.9 mil which matches reality for my round and my other ballistic calculators. I contacted BA about this, they concluded I should simply use an average MV , which is fine out to about 600 yards, then the difference in actual MV begins to show up with elevation differences. So my question for folks using BA is, how do you manage this aspect of MV variations?