• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Bang for your Buck - Thermal

Jlknights61

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2019
So with the release of a few new products I wanted to get the collective wisdom on what is the best product for performance, utility, and price.

I’m looking at thermal for primarily scanning and clip on use, and have been following the threads for the Steiner C35, RH25, and super Yoter-C. These seem to be the sweet spot for price and performance.

If you were going to have one unit and helmet mounting wasn’t a factor, or the tertiary factor, which would you choose? Is the rh25 better enough to justify the extra $2k? Can the Steiner be utilized effectively as a scanner?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
There's a yoterC in the forsale for 3.6k. I doubt you'll get better bang for your buck than that. It's also a very good longer range scanner just keep in mind you have to change the eyepiece to use it for that. Not a difficult process but not as simple as a dedicated scope where you're just taking it off the rifle and clipping it back on. The Steiner units are looking very promising but are heavy so factor that in as well.

Buy a dedicated scanner and a dedicated scope or clip on.
It's not buy once, cry once, it's that it's way easier to scan with a scanner that has a bigger FOV for use as a scanner, than a scope or converted clip on you'll need to remove and remount all the time, that'll have a smaller FOV.
With the availability of decent priced quality thermal optics these days, there's little reason to have to use an optic for dual duty.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
If you’re scanning off a tripod the Yoter-C is easy IMO. Also, the ADM mount has great repeatability returning to zero on my gun. It takes < 2 minutes, realistically, to change the eyepiece. You could do it in 1 minute if you hurried.

There’s lots of folks with way more experience with me on this so take it for what it’s worth. For $3.6K you will get you money back if you try it out. That’s what I did and then started reading more thoroughly through the various recent threads on here and messaging a couple people with questions. I’m very happy and have concluded it’s best for me and my hunting. I also don’t need helmet mounted. It doesn’t have built in Wi-Fi for video or pics so keep that in mind. Otherwise checks all the boxes besides made in the US.

I saw that one one the px and it is super tempting.

I was all set to buy the yoter and then on reports from some like Horta and sure shot etc on the Steiner I started to have second thoughts. Then stumbled onto the rh25 which I have somehow missed as I didn’t realize it could be used as a clip on and started to wonder if it offered the most utility of all of them. Basically analysis paralysis at the this point lol.

I saw that one one the px and it is super tempting.

I was all set to buy the yoter and then on reports from some like Horta and sure shot etc on the Steiner I started to have second thoughts. Then stumbled onto the rh25 which I have somehow missed as I didn’t realize it could be used as a clip on and started to wonder if it offered the most utility of all of them. Basically analysis paralysis at the this point lol.
Same. I respect his opinion as he has owned or owns them all practically 🤣
He also uses it on a helmet and had not tried the Yoter-C surprisingly when I communicated with him. He may have tried it since then. The Steiner is a lot heavier, has a smaller objective, takes 20 sec to power on but records video internally.
I think the FOV is more advantageous for the Y-C than RH25 for longer range in front of an lvpo but don’t hold me to that. Otherwise RH25 has some advantages like recording and maybe a slightly better picture. It’s $1.5k-$2k more if that matters. Frankly looking at all the pics and videos posted it seems they’re very similar to me.

Per Horta the RH25 has a significantly worse picture when being used as a clip on when compared to the Yoter or C35.
I’ve also read of people disliking having to adjust an ocular piece as well as the objective to try and get it focused properly. The single focus knob on top of the Y-C is plain easy.

Unless you are patrolling for miles at night, or you are 80, I don't think the weight is as big of a problem as people think. If you are scanning you will have the C35 in your hand and not on your rifle, also a lot of people hunt at night using tripods. As a dedicated clip-on, there isn't a better bang for your buck.

We scan with a Bearing Hogster and a Pulsar Trail XP50 both have Boboro QD mounts. Shot many hogs and coyotes with both. The Hogster especially work great as a scanner and a scope.

除非你在夜间巡逻数英里,或者你已经 80 岁了,否则我认为重量并没有人们想象的那么大。如果您正在扫描,您手中会拿着 C35 而不是步枪上,而且很多人在夜间使用三脚架打猎。作为一个专用的夹子,没有比你更划算的了。
what if you just use rifle thermal scope to scan?

Can the Steiner be utilized effectively as a scanner?
I did it quite successfully for a few nights. You have to recognize the limitations of a 1x scanner with a pretty portly weight but it worked great. I was able to see bunnies and deer and coyotes out to a several hundred meters using it as a scanner though I couldn't make out the species in many cases beyond around 300m to 400m without putting it in front of my day optic. Everyone I've been out with so far greatly preferred the lightweight Hogster as a scanner if only because it weighs like a feather to a fatty in comparison. That said, the C35 is a stunner and if you just want one thing that's so far where I'd be spending, especially given the pricing we can get this month.

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
I did it quite successfully for a few nights. You have to recognize the limitations of a 1x scanner with a pretty portly weight but it worked great. I was able to see bunnies and deer and coyotes out to a several hundred meters using it as a scanner though I couldn't make out the species in many cases beyond around 300m to 400m without putting it in front of my day optic. Everyone I've been out with so far greatly preferred the lightweight Hogster as a scanner if only because it weighs like a feather to a fatty in comparison. That said, the C35 is a stunner and if you just want one thing that's so far where I'd be spending, especially given the pricing we can get this month.
tell me more about this incredible pricing we get this month?