• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BAR MK3

VandelayIndustries

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2022
Ask
18”- 308win. For hunting mainly inside 300 yards.
It shot factory hornady 155 black about an inch at 100 but I’m all out and want to work a load up. I tried to work a load up with hornady 150BTSP with Varget shot horrible across a bunch of powder charges.
Anyone have a good load or place to restart? I’ve got Varget and IMR 4064. Ill probably have to get different bullets.

Try the Varget first. It has a good temp stability and runs well in that weight bullet for 308.

Nothing wrong with 4064, that (and H4895) was what we ran before Varget existed and we were not complaining.

It is just that a BAR may like one and not the other, but starting with the Varget for a hunting rifle that may have to shoot at a different temperature than where you tested and sighted is giving yourself a little margin.

I have helped friends develop many loads for these Browning BAR rifles and while they may be very picky, they eventually tune in.

Your HOR 155 Black used the AMax bullet, so you were essentially using factory match ammo.
These days, you have several good bullet choices that are more game/hunt oriented that will shoot just as well as match bullets at short range. YMMV

Reactions: VandelayIndustries