• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barefoot shoes

huntinstud101

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
I have been reading as much as I can about the new shoes, and I have found a few with high reviews. What I would like to know is who runs in/wears what? I have a bit of a positive bias toward VFFs, but I also liked how the merrils felt on my feet. Is there anyone who doesnt like the five fingers or has other suggestions for something different? I already spend my time mostly barefoot but I like the idea of having a little rubber soak up the abuse of rocks here and there on the trail.

Re: Barefoot shoes

I'm right there with you. I wanted to try the whole barefoot thing but I honestly don't care for the look. So I looked for the more socially acceptable versions available, and I ended up trying on a pair of Nike Free Run +2 which fit amazingly well. I ended up buying those simply because of how light they were and how comfortable they were. I've never put my foot in a more comfortable shoe. BUT, when I finally got a chance to run in them, my calves got a fair bit better of a workout. Now i'm used to the extra effort and my calves have consequently gotten much stronger and more defined. The absolute biggest advantage for me from switching to these has been that I no longer have shin splints. This has been my first year of running totally shin splint free, and I love it!

Now I know the Nikes aren't really "barefoot" shoes but they bridge the gap between "barefoot" and typical running shoes and they do it exceptionally well in my opinion. My dad on the other hand, has suffered from knee problems for a while and since has been restricted to elliptical and bicycle cardio exercise. I told him that I don't have bone related pain anymore since buying these shoes. He wants to try them but my feet are smaller than his. He shops around for a while, and finally bought a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes, and he LOVES them. He's slowly working back into running on the treadmill and he claims there's no more shin splints or severe knee pains. His only complaint thus far has been that when he's running he has to change his form because he feels like his feet are slapping the treadmill.

All in all, I'm a believer. I'm a casual runner though, so take this FWIW.

This is what I rock, I have many many miles in these everything from hiking and running on trails, tracks, roads to a treadmill. I use these in all conditions from hot summer to damn cold and snow and ice. It took a whial to get my legs in good enough condition for any kind of distance, and Im an experienced runner.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/five-fingers-komodo-sport-ls-mens.htm

I've been using the Reebok flex fit shoes...they are really light and flexible. I didn't like them at first, but after some miles I have grown to really like them. I have run 20 + miles per week for many years now and I too noticed that after the first run my calves where very sore. Want to try the vibram 5 finger, but I think they look weird too.

I have a set of Merrell's trail glove running shoes and some of their barefoot training shoes. Running in them is nice but, you have to go easy because of the different muscles that get worked running in them. I usually can't run multiple days in a row in them unless they are very short runs. The Nike free's or Reebok Realflex's are awesome to run in and I can usually run in them all the time and don't get shin splints.

That is what I was saying about having to work up to distance in the 5fingers. You have to develop to muscles you dont normaly ever use. However after getting there distance is no big issue, and actually my knee probs have been resolved and I feel like a stronger runner in them (they are more efficent). I will never turn back to "regular" running shoes again.

Although I dont run in them I have a pair of Vibram KSO's that I wear fishing in the summer when the water is <span style="text-decoration: line-through">warmer</span> doesn't have ice in it. They do a good job of protecting my feet from rocks and sticks. I can spend all day in them comfortably.

I run in Vibram KSOs and love them. You may also want to look at the new New Balance Minimus (Road or Trail). They have zero drop and a nice barefoot feel while allowing you to "look normal" in shoes.

I have vibram kso, komodo sport and i just bought my trek sports.
I also have vivobrefoot neos but those are just for everyday walking shoes.

I use my treksports for hiking. kso and komodo sports are for running/gym/crossfit.

If i could have just one i would buy kso. Komodo sport is heavy and that small velcro strap is annoying.

Don't mean to heist the OP's thread, but it's related / relevant.

For about the past year, I've changed up my running style to a mid foot / more balls of the feet strike but haven't made the change to minimalist shoes yet.

I've found that my calves are now used to it, the shin splints have totally gone away...but I've recently started developing plantar fasciitis.

This sucks because I'm trying to get ready for a Spartan and Tough Mudder race this year.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this, and if changing to minimalist shoes helps.

Are you <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> striking with the mid/forefoot? The point is to land on the forefoot, but then to immediately allow the rest of the foot to land gently as well. If you run only on the balls of your feet, you're going to be hurting joints and bones. Use all of your foot and all of your muscles to cushion yourself - do not rely on bones. Their job is support, not shock absorption.

Spazz, thanks. When I think about it, I'd say I've been staying on the forefoot / balls of my feet the entire stride. Guess I need to focus on form some more.

Would switching to minimalist footwear help me get a better feel for a proper footstrike? Wondering if standard ASICS have too much cushioning, even up front, and that's not giving me the proper feedback to intuitively adjust my form.

Apologies to the OP for taking this off topic a bit...but this is helpful.

Ok listen. I've tried multiple models of barefoot shoes, including new balances 'minimus' line. these shoes are fantastic to run in as they give you increased feedback and proprioception. It really makes running more enjoyable 3 fold.

minimal footwear can in fact help 'train' you to perfect your stride. Pain and injury has a way of forcing you do correct inefficiencies.....

Now onto the problems.... Kenyan's run barefoot all day long, but they don't run on pavement. Humans were designed to be barefoot, but concrete didn't exist during our evolutionary progress. That being said, vibrams are great, but expect to get beat up feet including stress fractures (i've had two cause of vibrams). If you only run 3 miles at a time, you're probably fine. Some people can get away with putting serious mileage on concrete with these minimal shoes, but most can't.

From my experience, the best thing to come out of minimal footwear is whats called zero heel drop. It means there is zero height difference between your forefoot & heel. You actually decrease your chance for injury and increase efficiency by having zero heel drop. As a reference, most running shoes range from 8 - 15mm of heel drop.

I do not reccomend running on concrete with vibrams. BUt there is a product that gives you the best of both worlds... http://www.altrazerodrop.com/

That company makes a zero drop shoe with cusoning for pavement. Look to their instinct shoe. Nothing but excelent reviews. I actually have a pair in the mail as we speak.

Hope that clears things up. For reference, i compete in triathlons.

Also, fuck nike's. They made good shoes in the 70's-80's. Aisics were the shit in the 90's, but now there is solid competition all over the field. Out of all big companies, brooks, saucony, & mizuno are in my opinion the best, with aisics somwhere nudged in there depending on your biomechanics. Nike makes pure overpriced garbage. my two cents... k sorry for ranting.

Minimalist shoes definitely helped me figure out how to run. Once I could feel the ground while running, I became very aware of how my foot was hitting and was able to train myself to run using the barefoot style. I don't run long distances, up to 6~ish miles at a time, so if you plan on running a lot you may want to divert to HispanicPanic's advice. I definitely agree that zero drop is the way to go, regardless of anything else.

I've started running barefoot on a treadmill, but need to get a pair of shoes for walking/running outside. I like the idea of the 5 toe shoes, but they look like zombie feet.....I need to find a pair of normal looking bare foot shoes to replace my standard running shoes.

I have tried most of the shoes mentioned here and have found that the Merrell Trail Gloves give a great combination of minimalist feel with enough support/padding to wear outdoors. As mentioned, if your current shoes offer ample support and force you to strike the ground with your heel first (as most do) the Merrells will totally change your gait and therefore initially stress your body differently. It took me a couple weeks to feel comfortable in them. Now, I can hardly get myself to wear anything else. I'm a personal trainer and on my feet all day and the Merrells feel awesome. My chiropractor also recommends them because a lot of structural problems people have originate from the feet. Well worth a test drive!

I have worn both the Merrells and the VFF and i cannot find anything bad to say about either. I have been able to cut my 5 mile time down below 35 mins after only about 2 months of using them. The help to really activate the smaller muscles in my ankle and allow me the freedom to move my feet differently on pivots and turns. I am definitely for the VFF a little more but unfortunately i am not the one in my life that gets to dictate which shoes i wear in the morning. So you can bet your rifle I got on the Merrell wagon as soon as we had them available out here. I say that whichever one you choose you will not be disappointed at all.

Oh yeah, the Merrells I have are the Sonic Gloves. And yes they will burn your calves nearly off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HispanicPanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I do not reccomend running on concrete with vibrams. BUt there is a product that gives you the best of both worlds... http://www.altrazerodrop.com/

That company makes a zero drop shoe with cusoning for pavement. Look to their instinct shoe. Nothing but excelent reviews. I actually have a pair in the mail as we speak.
</div></div>

i started running 2 years ago in the nike free 5.0s. i loved them, but developed knee and hip pain. i read up, and switched from heel strike to forefoot strike last year. i started the transition in a pair of nb minimus and they were good for runs under 5 miles. over 5 miles left me wanting a bit of cushion.

i switched to the altra instincts in september last year and i couldn't be happier. they are amazing shoes! the zero drop sole contributes to proper form, while still giving your feet some cushion from the road. i have hundreds of miles in them. in january, i bought a pair of altra lone peaks for trail running. i now run almost exclusively trail, and the lone peaks are great. they have good traction, and a rock plate that helps with sharp stones. i also have another pair of instincts ordered that should be on my doorstep tomorrow.

if you have an altra stocking dealer near you, you really should give them a try. they look goofy due to the wide toe box, but your feet and joints will thank you.

on a separate note, prior to switching to altra, i faced a serious month of plantar fasciitis. after trying numerous things, i ordered a strassburg sock. its a pain in the ass, but completely healed me in 3 nights. you wear it at night and it stretches your foot allowing healing. they run about $40, but in my experience it was well worth it.

I've used VFF's since they came out. I also have Nike Frees. The nike's or Merrels are a good transition into BF running.

I don't run "barefoot", whatever that means, I run mid-foot, i.e. not heel first. For me the Vibram Five Fingers don't have enough padding for me, so I like running in Nike Free Runs. As I posted in another thread, I have Merrell Trail Gloves, but, they don't have enough padding for me, so I don't run in them (I do crossfit in them though).

Whatever you do, *do not* go from a traditional running shoe (one with a big thick heel) to a minimalist shoe (one with a zero drop between the foot bed and heel) - it would be like wearing high heels your entire life and then switching to flats. Work your way down - I would first try a shoe that has a 10mm-8mm drop for about 6-12 months, then try a shoe with a lesser or zero drop.

I don't buy into the whole "barefoot" fad, I found what works for me and I go with that. That's lightweight trainers (Mizuno Wave Precisions) for the bulk of my miles, with minimal flats for a couple workouts (15-20 miles) per week. Any more and, since I run almost exclusively on pavement by necessity, my legs suffer.

That said, about a year and a half ago I developed a sudden and very painful case of plantar fascitis. Within two weeks I could barely put weight on my left foot, much less run. At first, more cushioned dress shoes at work and eliminating workouts in flats kept it to an uncomfortable medium.

After a few months, I became suspicious that the cushioning that had helped with the acute issue was prolonging the chronic problem. I got a pair of Merrill Tough Gloves for work. They are the only minimalist shoes I could find that would pass for business casual.

Within two weeks, the improvement was dramatic. Now, ~9 months later, I still occasionally feel the PF but it is essentially a non-issue. I could never run in these things but they have been a Godsend for casual wear.

I think others have touched on the true key to "barefoot" running is the zero heel drop. I have had VFFs scince 09 and have used them for every day use, to 10k runs, crossfit, weight training. I really like them, but is it because they have toe pockets? Fack no. Its because they are ultra light and have zero heel to toe drop. The toes pockets are a gimik, if your shoe has a large toe area then your toes will still have freedom of movement. The shoe I have converted to is the New balance minimus zero trail. Supper light weight, zero heel toe drop. But does have some padding. I find that during really long runs, when my calves start wearing out, and my form get sloppy, I start to get a little more heel strike, and with VFFs that get painful quik. With my NB minimus that little bit of padding gives just enough forgiveness.

Take a look around at whats out there, everyone and their dog makes minimalist shoes these day. tryem all, buy what you like. Oh yeah and check out a company called Newtons, they are all about mid foot strike, but with more traditional style shoes.