• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Barely used rimfire build

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
Picked up a Savage MK2 with a rifle basix trigger, heavy barrel, benchrest stock, and a BSA 8-32 scope. I bought it for a good price, and it was barely used.
It's not exactly what I want(parts wise), but the price was nice. Now I am looking to get it where I want it.
Got a BV stock off here, barely used, and I am looking to replace the BSa scope. It's the first thing that I am starting to question. I have a CP 4-16x40 that I was going to put on my 10/17 for nocturnal visitors. But since it isn't on yet, I was considering it, or the Mueller APT barely used for $135 with burris low rings. I think with a RT base it would suit the gun just fine. A bipod would be about all that was needed for the build, aside from some ammo and a sling.

Anyone have thoughts on the CP versus the Mueller, or other parts of the build?

Re: Barely used rimfire build

i hear good things about the mueller here, and have looked through a couple at the range, but no practical experience with it in the field.

the CP i do have alot of experience and dollar for dollar the best scope i ever owned, and i have owned a few nice ones.

getting rid of the BSA is a good starting point, the same model (2 of them) crapped out on me, one on an AR, the other on - a MKII. if you go with the centerpoint, use different rings, as the ones it comes with are kinda crappy and loosen up.

what you have already (or what you plan to do) seems to be a pretty good start, i'd invest some more in ammo, and maybe a wind meter. with the bi pod try to go harris if you can 6-9" for bench, 9-13" for prone. swivel models are nice for uneven ground.
the harris knockoffs are ok if your on a budget.

Top, I have been looking to stay barely used, as that is the theme if you will of my two builds this year. I have seen alot of shooter's ridge and harris online for sale, and I have a winchester 6-9" from Wally World in the safe.

I also have a 8.5-25 Mueller Eradicator in the back somewhere, but the 8.5 may be a little high for anything other than punching paper. May try to trade it for an APT or something nicer. Also been randomly attracted to the Millet Buck Gold, but that thing is a bit beastly. Guess with a 8# benchrest stock, a few more ounces wouldn't matter.

Which would you stick on a paper puncher?

Wanna get out to 200 with time, but I think that 50-100 will be where I stay until I get some lead downrange. The 8.5-25 only has 45 MOA of elevation. Centerpoint has 60. Gun will get a RT 25 MOA base regardless.

Alright guys, after reading the rimfire section, most people seem to recommend the Tasco 6-24 Varmint target, the Mueller APT, the Centerpoint 4-16, or the Vortex Crossfire 1" 6-24x50. Thoughts on which way to go? Was even looking at the TRS-1, but it seems that bushnell has sucked the goodness out. I guess a Falcon would be on the list too.

Shaman said:
Which would you stick on a paper puncher?

quote]

for just paper punching either of the ones that give you more magnification, and if you can get the oppurtunity to look through each one at a higher mag, the one that has the clearer view.

this'll help you out with spotting hits without a seperate spotting scope, and enable you to zoom right in on the 10x and not be "distracted" by other goings on around the target.

I think I may have raised my price range. Found a wotac 4-14 for $225. Looking for warranty info right now. Waiting to hear from matt.