• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barnes 112 Match Burner load development in a 6X47 Lapua

Dstoenner

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Holly Springs, NC
A while back I had asked if anybody had done any load development with these new bullets in a 6x47. That didn't get much response. I had said that one I get this new barrel broken in I am going to give them a try. The new barrel is broken in and so today I got to take my test loads and see what these bullets look like. I loaded 4 each from 38.2 to 39.6 in .2 grain increments using H4350. Lapua brass with 5 firings on it. CCI-450 primers. I measured my new barrel and to the lands was 2.726 so I loaded these at 2.710.

First up was to fire 1 of each load to see if I got any pressure indications. The picture below shows the first cold clean shot at 38.2 and then the next 7 levels piling into one bigger hole. No pressure signs at all, the 39.6 primers looked only slightly flatter than than the 38.2. Very happy for these results. These correlate well with my older barrel and the load testing I did for 115 DTAC's.

AA3A63E0-364E-4CBE-8464-49ED99F1A3A7.jpeg

I might note that the POA was the big diamond. For this I didn't care where they landed. I didn't adjust the scope. But I did adjust the scope down .625 MOA for the next set of shots.

Next was to shoot 3 shot groups at each powder level and gather chrono data. I used a Magnetospeed and did have two shots that didn't register so I don't have a full picture but I think it is clear enough. Here are the 8 sets of shot sets

D8E724E2-B7F3-4465-9885-BC3913DBB4B4.jpeg

E83A7538-DBBA-4650-9C0A-6D99A43F099B.jpeg

It looks like I have a good node at 39.2/39.4 I would pick 39.3 and do some more testing when I put this barrel back on. Right now I am putting my older barrel back on and will use it this next season till either the season is finished next fall or if I see this barrel acting funny my new barrel is ready to go.

My observations on this is that these bullets shoot VERY similar to the 115 DTACs. My current match load is 39.2 H4350 at a MV of 2950. What is interesting to me is that the DTACs in the same ladder sequence had really poor performance at 39.6 just like the 112's. I don't have quick load but to me there must be some resonance in the powder burn to get such horrible SD's.

I had also loaded some of my current barrel match load to see how the 115's would do in the new barrel. They turned in 2 groups less that .5 MOA so it looks like if I do have to change barrels I am in pretty good shape.

I will come back and do some seating depth tests with these 112's. At the difference in price point they might just replace the DTACs in my line up. They have the same BC and they are a little faster by 40 FPS than the 115's in this barrel. I think they are worth a try at one 1000 yard match to see how they do, maybe 600 for a maiden voyage.

HTH

David

Last edited:
Reactions: Average guy
Pics aren’t working for me, but keep us posted on progress. Between these and the 109 Hybrids in my new 6x47 barrel.

Pics aren’t working for me, but keep us posted on progress. Between these and the 109 Hybrids in my new 6x47 barrel.
That is strange. I too see that the pictures aren't showing up on my ipad but they show up on mac. I use the normal img, /img to insert pictures. I am new on this forum so going to have to figure this out and get it working or you are right it is not much use.

David

You should see them now. This site takes a different way to get them to show on an ipad or iphone. Imgur isn’t supported

David

Do you have anymore down range data?

I have 500 match burners and when my dtacs run out these will replace them. My 6x47 loves the dtacs

I have the new barrel on and i have now had the chance to take the 112’s to 1200 meters. They preformed perfectly. I put a hit on a 1x1 foot plate at 1200 meters. The 2 misses i had were at the waterline just slightly off the plate.

The load was based on 39.5 h4350. I have now gotten enough rl-16 that i am going to develop a load for the 112’s. I’ll update the thread when i get that done in the next few months.

I have also bought another 500 myself to switch to when my dwindling supply of DTACs runs out.

I have used the match burners and dtacs both. They are very similar. I currently shoot dtacs in my 6cm and match burners in my 6xc. Both have performed well at distance. A couple years ago there was a bad lot of match burners but the current production have been good.

I have the new barrel on and i have now had the chance to take the 112’s to 1200 meters. They preformed perfectly. I put a hit on a 1x1 foot plate at 1200 meters. The 2 misses i had were at the waterline just slightly off the plate.

The load was based on 39.5 h4350. I have now gotten enough rl-16 that i am going to develop a load for the 112’s. I’ll update the thread when i get that done in the next few months.

I have also bought another 500 myself to switch to when my dwindling supply of DTACs runs out.
Gonna bump this old thread back to life. I have two 6X47 barrels being spun up right now and a box of 112gr match burners to try out. Did you ever try the RL16? Did it perform any better than the H4350?

Gonna bump this old thread back to life. I have two 6X47 barrels being spun up right now and a box of 112gr match burners to try out. Did you ever try the RL16? Did it perform any better than the H4350?
Yes and rl16 gets the same on target performance with a few tenths less powder. I really like rl16. Found it late in my 6x47 shooting