• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Barnes 180 ttsx out of a Remington .308 5R

DeltaRogerVictor

Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
Michigan
I am looking to load some Barnes 180 ttsx for hunting, and I am not sure where to start. A Friend of mine gave me a box with 29 remaining in it, he claims he could not get them to shoot. I like to load with varget, and I have both lapua and BH once fired cases that have been match prepped, I also would like to use my CCI BR2 primers which I have lots of, I checked on Barnes website but did not find any load data for varget, and I have little experience comparing burn rates etc. any safe starting loads would be much appreciated before I go out and drop some serious coin on 100 or so to really work up a load, not sure I even like this bullet yet.

Re: Barnes 180 ttsx out of a Remington .308 5R

Hodgdon's website, www.hodgdon.com shows 41 as a starting load and 45 as max in 308 with a 180 grain bullet. The site does not list the Barnes bullet specifically but if you start at the minimum, 41.0, should be safe.

ffhogue if you read the post you will see i was given some free I currently am shooting 175 smk's and 165 sierra SBT's

DRV the Barnes bullets shoot with a lot less pressure. So if you load a normal charge for a 180 you are going to push that bullet a lot faster. Maybe 100 fps, maybe?

Try slower, as in less powder (the lower end of the 180gr projectile powder charge). A guy I know shoots 190's in his 308 and they aren't going all that fast and he gets great accuracy.

If you must stick with Varget I'm still sure you can get it to shoot them well. Just work up from the bottom. Don't do what I do...take the max charge and back off 1 1/2 grs and work up from there.

The BH brass would be better, save the Lapua for long range.

The primers are fine.

Post your results.

Varget should be an ideal powder for that bullet.
I'd start at 39-39.5 grains.
Depending on barrel length and your node, you'll be looking at 25-2650 fps.