• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barnes TSX Bullets

Quackaddict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Minnesota
Alright guys, I recently started working up loads with H4350 and Barnes 140grn TSX for a 270 win elk load, I started at .050 off the lands as per Barnes recomendations and got groups in the 1.5-2 inch range @ 100yds. Anyone had a lot of experience reloading these bullets? Im gonna test longer OAl's to get closer to the lands but wondering if anyone else had had similar experience with them.

The 150 TTSX in my 308 shoots .5 easily at 100.

Re: Barnes TSX Bullets

All my hunting loads are TSX. What you want to know? TSX likes a big jump. measure with a stoney point, They also like to be shot hot. Not as accurtes as some other bullets but they are deadly...

What kind of jump are we talking? Am I as good as I am going to get with 1.5-2 @100? The same rifle will put 3 Remmy core lockt ultras into 1 inch @ 100.

I shoot the TTSX in 308 and get under half MOA. They shoot as well if not better than SMK. So I believe there is deffinately accuracy to be gained. I load mine 40 thousandths off the lands. Instead of starting with Barnes suggestion I loaded the same OAL as everything else I load for the rifle.

ofcrfs242 what gr bullet are your TTSX? What gun? What load?

I tried that bullet and could not get a good result in my 5R. I tried 168 and 180 gr, many different powder charges and many different seating depths. I too was getting 1.5-2 inch groups same as OP. SMK is 1/2 inch.

The rifle is a Remington 700 VSF with a stock heavy 26" fluted barrel 1 in 12. Loading data

Barnes 150 Tipped TSX
CCI LR primer
Lapua Brass
46.5 grains of Varget
2900 fps muzzle velocity

I know that I can push these harder as they show absolutely no signs of pressure. This load was hammering sub 1/2 inch five round groups at 100.

Before trying this bullet I had heard that Barnes coud be very picky about how far off the lands they are loaded. I may have just got lucky on this one as I did not hae to play with OAL at all.

i have seen a good friend of mine do 100 thousands off the lands in a 7mm.....excellent accuracy...up to and including 1000yd kills......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quackaddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright guys, I recently started working up loads with H4350 and Barnes 140grn TSX for a 270 win elk load, I started at .050 off the lands as per Barnes recomendations and got groups in the 1.5-2 inch range @ 100yds. Anyone had a lot of experience reloading these bullets? Im gonna test longer OAl's to get closer to the lands but wondering if anyone else had had similar experience with them.

The 150 TTSX in my 308 shoots .5 easily at 100. </div></div>

Seat the bullet closer to the lands. Also, why H4350. It's a good powder, but not the best choice for the TSX 140's in a 270. They like to be pushed hard/fast. I would look at H4831 or R22. You will get more speed, and have better accuracy. Also, use a mag primer. Work up a good load, and it will shoot great for you.

Here are the first loads I put together for my 6mm. 9 shots 200 Yards TTSX.

I also load them in 140 for my sons 270 and they shoot about the same. Im sure one of these super spipers could do a lot better with them. Both are .045 off the lands

t4.jpg

I shoot the Barnes TTSX 168 gr. out of my Savage 10 FP in .308 and get great groups. I am .087 off the lands. I have found, like most others here, that the Barnes bullets do like a jump. I consistently shoot 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards (haven't tried further with this round). My best goup ever with this load was .256" at 100 yards. I got two whitetails with this load last season. Filled my buck and doe tag within five seconds of each other.

Barnes TTSX 168 gr.
CCI BR2 primer
Lapua brass
43.5 gr. IMR 4064
2.810 COAL
2725 FPS

I picked H4350 because it was listed as the accuracy powder by both Barnes and Sierra for the 140 grain weight, I will push the bullets out farther to the lands and see what I get, I am going to run up a batch tonight an shoot after work tomorrow.

The 150 TTSX in my 308 shoots lights out BTW, easily .5 @ 100.