• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing barrel/action thread question?

CCooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2009
Hoschton, GA
When I look into the actions on my custom guns w/ custom actions, why do I see threads, but on my stock rem 700's the barrels use all the threads. I know one of the +'s of custom actions is more barrel/action engagement, but it seems like some of this advantage is wasted when the barrel isn't using all the threads. I can see 4 threads on my 7wsm and 2 threads on my 338 lapua. I measured roughly .85 engagement on the 7wsm and .92 engagement on the 338. This is still more than the .65 measured on the rem 700's, but it would seem like more could only be better when the threads are there. GAP 7000 action on the 7 and Nesika on the 338. I'm sure this is a rookie question, just asking. Thanks

Re: barrel/action thread question?

I believe that the original post was referring to the internal threads being visible through the loading port and, extending deeper into the action than the barrel shank. I think this is quite common on most actions that I encounter.

I don't have exposed threads on the outside of the barrel or action if that's what you're talking about. I'm referring to the threads cut on the inside of the action by the action maker and the mating threads cut on the barrel by the gunsmith. Another way to put it; why would a gunsmith not cut the threads on a barrel long enough to mate with ALL of the threads cut by the action maker on the inside of the action. Maybe it has something to do with the bolt lugs having room to rotate without hitting the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocEd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that the original post was referring to the internal threads being visible through the loading port and, extending deeper into the action than the barrel shank. I think this is quite common on most actions that I encounter. </div></div>

That is exactly what I was referring to DocEd. Thanks.

The barrel shank can only be threaded into the action so far before it meets the bolt nose. If you see threads unused then there are more threads in the action than necessary. I have noticed this in trued Rem 700's also but understand it is from the thread chasing process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru ⊕</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. </div></div>

Please feel free to elaborate on your detailed answer.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel shank can only be threaded into the action so far before it meets the bolt nose. If you see threads unused then there are more threads in the action than necessary. I have noticed this in trued Rem 700's also but understand it is from the thread chasing process. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Only on occasion though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel shank can only be threaded into the action so far before it meets the bolt nose. If you see threads unused then there are more threads in the action than necessary. I have noticed this in trued Rem 700's also but understand it is from the thread chasing process. </div></div>

Thanks radcustom and wnroscoe, after looking at my rifles I see exactly what you're saying. The bolt nose hits the barrel and spins against it when the lugs lock. So the extra threads in the action are just from the "thread chasing"--does that mean finishing the cuts smoothly for the threads instead of trying to stop abruptly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel shank can only be threaded into the action so far before it meets the bolt nose. If you see threads unused then there are more threads in the action than necessary. I have noticed this in trued Rem 700's also but understand it is from the thread chasing process. </div></div>

Thanks radcustom and wnroscoe, after looking at my rifles I see exactly what you're saying. The bolt nose hits the barrel and spins against it when the lugs lock. So the extra threads in the action are just from the "thread chasing"--does that mean finishing the cuts smoothly for the threads instead of trying to stop abruptly. </div></div>

No, they just went a little deeper than needed when threading, wont hurt a thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolt nose hits the barrel and spins against it when the lugs lock.</div></div>

It <span style="font-style: italic">better</span> not..................

It <span style="font-style: italic">better</span> not.................. [/quote]

Explain?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It <span style="font-style: italic">better</span> not.................. </div></div>

Explain? [/quote]

the front of the bolt lugs or the bolt nose should not touch the barrel at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Nyhus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolt nose hits the barrel and spins against it when the lugs lock.</div></div>

It <span style="font-style: italic">better</span> not.................. </div></div>

I think Al meant to say that there should be a slight gap between the bolt and barrel. .005" maybe.