• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel advice for 338 Lapua

Diesel1966

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2013
N.W. Montana
Hi all,
I have a Savage 110ba LE 338 Lapua. Without scope, OEM weight is 17 lbs, roughly. I want to keep the same weight.

I’m looking to rebarrel and need solid advice. Obviously this is a heavy long range rifle

I reload for Hornady 285gr and Nosler 300gr exclusively

so, what barrel contour? Heavy Palma or Bull barrel?
finished length, not counting muzzle break?
staying with 1:10 twist.

what am I forgetting for info?.

thanks
John

Heavy Palma
M24
MTU
The heavy Palma probably matches the weight of factory barrel the closest.

I run a 30” MTU for my 338.

Reactions: moosemeat
Steel head. Can you explain MTU. How would it compare to Heavy Palma or Bull Barrel?
AD394C96-BC96-4F61-9433-9968C97E5C04.gif

Thanks for that contour graph.
Is that universal for every manufacture?

I don't think any barrel manufacturer offers nutted prefits for the .338 LM (as the saying goes, I was wrong once before...).
Were you planning on doing a shouldered barrel?

Is that the twist or that particular barrel?
Hi all,
I have a Savage 110ba LE 338 Lapua. Without scope, OEM weight is 17 lbs, roughly. I want to keep the same weight.

I’m looking to rebarrel and need solid advice. Obviously this is a heavy long range rifle

I reload for Hornady 285gr and Nosler 300gr exclusively

so, what barrel contour? Heavy Palma or Bull barrel?
finished length, not counting muzzle break?
staying with 1:10 twist.

thanks
John
I recently rebarreled my Remington 700P with a Bartliein 5R 1:9 , 29inch. Heavy varmint taper. $370 for the blank. I know a guy who did theachine work for me. Great barrel. Ordered a 28 inch, the actual barrel was 29.5. it's heavy. Shoots great, way better than the Remington barrel. If I were to do it again I would go with a lighter barrel from the same company.

I recently rebarreled my Remington 700P with a Bartliein 5R 1:9 , 29inch. Heavy varmint taper. $370 for the blank. I know a guy who did theachine work for me. Great barrel. Ordered a 28 inch, the actual barrel was 29.5. it's heavy. Shoots great, way better than the Remington barrel. If I were to do it again I would go with a lighter barrel from the same company.
Heavy varmint is one of the heaviest barrel tapers you can get.