• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel blank question

Lucky Jack

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2012
Southern AZ
After watching the Bartlein video's Frank posted last week my wondering mind got to wondering the following:

I have a Krieger .30 cal 1:8 twist 24" blank I got a while back to build a nice 300 blk. I figured I could make two barrels from this blank. One a 16 inch, the other a 7.5. Yesterday while I was chambering the blank (I like to chamber with the blank mounted through the gearbox) it occurred to me that I could simply flip the blank around and chamber the other side now instead of getting out the steady rest. That will make contouring less work too.

I know if you call and ask a barrel maker they are going to say "no" but after watching the video where the bore is being cut i noticed the cutter working in both directions. I'm going to try it out just to satisfy my curiosity. Any sage-like advice or opinions out there?

After watching the Bartlein video's Frank posted last week my wondering mind got to wondering the following:

I have a Krieger .30 cal 1:8 twist 24" blank I got a while back to build a nice 300 blk. I figured I could make two barrels from this blank. One a 16 inch, the other a 7.5. Yesterday while I was chambering the blank (I like to chamber with the blank mounted through the gearbox) it occurred to me that I could simply flip the blank around and chamber the other side now instead of getting out the steady rest. That will make contouring less work too.

I know if you call and ask a barrel maker they are going to say "no" but after watching the video where the bore is being cut i noticed the cutter working in both directions. I'm going to try it out just to satisfy my curiosity. Any sage-like advice or opinions out there?

Single point cut rifling the cutter is only cutting in what we typically call the direction of bullet travel.

Being as it is the a straight blank and the barrel is finish lapped. You can use either end you want.

So go ahead if you have the means to contour it......chamber both ends then cut it in half and finish your work.

We've had plenty of BR shooters with unlimited (straight blanks) ask if they can flip them around and chamber what would normally be the muzzle end. I say go ahead. Won't make a difference.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Last edited:
^Ha. Look down the muzzle end and of a barrel and see which way the twist is going. Right or left? This is good for some of the long range pistol guys because they can get two barrels out of one 31" straight blank.

Last edited:
If you chamber the other end, the twist will be going the wrong way.

If that's a joke, you forgot the ;). Otherwise, no, it won't. Think about it- you can put a nut on a bolt either direction, it doesn't turn into a left hand nut if you put it on backwards.

Single point cut rifling the cutter is only cutting in what we typically call the direction of bullet travel.

Being as it is the a straight blank and the barrel is finish lapped. You can use either end you want.

So go ahead if you have the means to contour it......chamber both ends then cut it in half and finish your work.

We've had plenty of BR shooters with unlimited (straight blanks) ask if they can flip them around and chamber what would normally be the muzzle end. I said go ahead. Won't make a difference.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank,

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it would be alright to flip it.