• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel blanks ?

B-boy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
OK so I'm looking at buying a barrel a Smith says he manufactured from a Krieger blank.
What does this mean ? How much of the work to the barrel did Kreiger do and what did he have to do with it to complete the barrel ? It's a Heavy barrel profile
4150 chrome moly vanadium steel
16" in length
1/2x28 threads
5.56/.223
1-9 Right Hand twist
M4 feed ramps
CYRO treated

If it's from a "barrel blank" like in your title then it likely came to him as a tubular piece of steel with a hole drilled though it and rifling carved into the tube some how. Threading, cutting to the correct length, and anything else the "smith" did.

Basically Krieger cuts the rifling in the barrel and sells the barrel as a "blank". A blank is no chamber cut, no tennon threads, no muzzle threads. Your smith had to cut the tennon, cut the shoulder for the recoil lug and single point for bolt nose clearance then cut chamber and head space. In your case it sounds like you also had him cut threads for a muzzle break as well. This is a timely process that is done with very tight tolerances. To give you a short answer yes he did a lot of work after recieving the blank from Krieger.

I would ask for more details.

IF he made it from a "barrel blank", then he cut the chamber, cut the barrel extension threads, installed the barrel extension and indexing pin, he drilled the gas port, profiled the barrel (outside shape), cut the barrel to length, cut the muzzle threads, and crowned it.

IF it came from Kreiger, who does make AR-15 barrels, Kreiger cut the rifling, profiled it, cut it to length, installed the barrel extension, drilled the gas port, and may have cut the muzzle threads. Basically all of it could have been done by Kreiger, or a mix of some things by Kreiger, some by the smith.

If it's Cryo treated, it probably got sent off by the smith or someone else to be super-cooled to remove stress in the steel.

The blanks come from the manufacturer (Kreiger in this case) and the smith does the work, ie chambering, crowning work like that. Usually...
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

I'd ask where the port is located...land, groove, or land/groove split (I'd go for the land/groove split)

I know it's a carbine gas system, land, grove, split, I don't know