• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel break-in and ammo testing Bergara HMR 6.5CM

fhsjrm

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2017
Can I start shooting groups with various types of ammo to see what my new rifle likes while I'm going through the barrel break-in procedure recommended by Bergara? I have a new HMR in 6.5CM and I'd like to shoot a few to sight in my scope then start shooting groups right away. I don't want to "waste" ammo just breaking in the barrel, but I don't want my ammo test data to be invalid either. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

barrel "Break in" is the stupidest myth in shooting..........just shoot and clean youre rifle like you normally do.

barrel "Break in" is the stupidest myth in shooting..........just shoot and clean youre rifle like you normally do.

That's what I'm hoping. The manual for the rifle says to follow the break in procedure, but Bergara's website says no break in is necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

fhsjrm,

What length is your cleaning rod? I won't be getting my HMR in a couple of weeks but I'm already buying ammo and accessories for it.

I ran a patch down the barrel of my HMR 6.5, then put 50 rounds down it.

Cleaned it (no copper and only a little carbon), and now I'm shooting it until accuracy drops off.

Hornady American Gunner 140gr shoots very well in my HMR; it is a very mild load (2570fps in my rifle, 90fps slower than 140gr Amax factory ammo) and the 140gr HPBT gives up a lot of BC compared to the 140 ELD-M, but as a baseline it is a very good value.