• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel break in LAR-8

Gurry78

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2012
Any tips? Just got my RRA LAR-8 elite operator and I haven't been able to find any old posts on proper barrel break in. Would like to do it right on this gun. Especially since it took Rock River 5 months to ship it! Thanks.

Re: Barrel break in LAR-8

Just go shoot it. I've had a 16" version and still have my LAR-8 Varmint. Both shot under MOA and the Varmint model I've had several 5 and 10 round groups that are 1/2 moa or better. I did not do anything special to the barrel. I just go out and shoot.

My method is shoot..clean..shoot..clean for 10 rounds then start shooting 3 shots..clean..3 shots clean for 10 or 12 rounds then start shooting 5 shot groups at 100yds then clean every 50 rounds or so. My LAR-8 standard barrel now shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups all day if I do my part and its fairly easy to clean after a 100 or 200 round range day. Its not for some that just go shoot it but it has worked for me.

Barrel brake in ? Is it a waste of time ? Some say yes some say no...still on the fence with this one.....Lots and lots and lots of threads on this subject.

I figure its not a big deal to run a bore snake through a few extra times just in case it helps. Might be voodoo but for the little bit of effort i would sooner be safe than sorry. Thanks for the input.

no matter what you decide always use bore guide and good cleaning equipment with coated rods.

Yea what tommy said. My LAR-8 shoots sweet with no break in. Just shoot the shit out of it. On another note...I hope you got the polymer mags with it!

Yep....polymer mags. Glad they came out with those.