• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

barrel break in?

7.62_Reaper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
how many rounds do you typically put through your barrel to break it in?

thank, josh

I don't do a break-in process, so to speek - just shoot it new and give it a good cleaning after each session initially. After about 200 rounds have been through the rifle I don't really clean it again until the groups start opening up, which is anywhere from 200-500 rounds depending on the rifle.

I don't do a break-in process, so to speek - just shoot it new and give it a good cleaning after each session initially. After about 200 rounds have been through the rifle I don't really clean it again until the groups start opening up, which is anywhere from 200-500 rounds depending on the rifle.

+1000 on this

Barrel break-in depends on the final lapping done by the barrel manufacturer. Each one is different....but that clean after each round for 5 shots, then clean after every 5 rounds for 25 shots, so on and so forth is a thing of the past.

one more link to a barrel break in procedure...
Downloads

Is it required? Probably not, but if you spend the money for a custom why chance it? Take the time and break it in.

I clean after each round with solvent for the first five then light oil, this will setup the surfaces of the rifling, then clean after five rounds groups.
my brother's son (1st Lieutenant USAF) did this for a new Rem 700 - 7mm Mag after first five cleaning and scope setup shots, the next five rounds were touching in a line at 100-yards