• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Break-In

kbrady

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Franklin, KY
I know there are many methods to breaking in a factory barrel, and was wanting some advice on which you guys prefer and why. I will be getting my Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 this week, someone give me an outline on a good routine to use on the barrel. Throw some ideas out there!!

Thank you,

Kelly

Re: Barrel Break-In

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Use the search feature of the site... you will see this topic is talked about alot.
smile.gif

Try this search also...

Google Seach within SnipersHide...

A rifle tube is not a cast iron skillet, use the search function!!!!!!

Well, I did in fact use the search function. I think I was just looking for some reason to validate utilizing a procedure and realized its simply not needed. Just gonna keep the crud knocked off it and shoot the piss out of it!

Thanks

Kelly

Personally I do break in any new barrel. 1 shot and clean for 20 shots. It may not be of any benifit. But I feel better doing it. But then again I also clean after every outing.

I just agree to disagree with others who don't. The owner of each rifle has the responsibility of taking care of their own rifle in their own way. They are who has to be satisfied with the rifle.

I agree with Victory on the necessity of breaking in a new barrel and cleaning regularly. I have adopted my break in procedure from military sniper manuals. They fire ten shots with cleaning in between each round and then five three shot groups with cleaning in between each three shot group.

This properly polishes the bore to extend barrel life and improve accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BA7rum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This properly polishes the bore to extend barrel life and improve accuracy. </div></div>

Can this be really proven? I just don't buy it.

Why would I want a something that I have clean more then shoot?

I wish we did a Mythbusters episode on this... we could probably do a whole season of Mythbusters just on silly gun myths.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I do break in any new barrel. 1 shot and clean for 20 shots. It may not be of any benifit. But I feel better doing it. But then again I also clean after every outing.
</div></div>

Thats probably the best statement on break in, if it makes you feel good about an expensive purchase than by all means do it. Peace of mind is a good thing. If it doesnt matter who cares, didnt cost you anything... With that said I personally do not break in, but I'm a religious every trip cleaner and dont put a peticularly high amount of rounds down the tube on any given range trip.

There are many items that require break in or a break in period.

hum... lets take a look at this..lets do an assessment of the pros and cons of breaking in new barrel.

cons: takes effort, time, extra use of consumables.

Pros: In the event of firing a new barrel, metal particulates are left behind, they will be removed by cleaning before harming the bore.

So, you can approch the situation like this: ask yourself, can breaking in a new barrel hurt anything? You are going to shoot it and clean it anyways.(intervals may vary)

Could breaking in a new barrel Possibly help? Possibly

Why would I want a something that I have clean more then shoot?

The break in period does not continue throughout the life time of the barrel. For me it is only 25 rounds. then its just a matter of how often i determine the barrel needs to be cleaned.

This may be hard to swallow but barrel break-in is a waist of time and effort. Before jumping the gun lets look at this objectively.

• 99.9% of shooters don’t have access to a quality bore scope to view the interior surface of their barrels.
• Without a bore scope to view the interior surface of your barrel what exactly are you trying to fix by a shoot and clean process?
• Does shooting and cleaning cure all barrel imperfections if they exist? If yes, how?
• Now I do recommend cleaning your rifle after you purchase it to clean out all of the junk, oils and grease from the factory before shooting it.
• If there are burrs or machine marks from the machining process in the barrel where are they located? Without a bore scope again you have no idea.
• Pushing a cotton patch with solvent or a bronze brush down the barrel will do what to remove a 416 stainless steel or chromemoly metal burr or machine marks?
• Last time I checked, 416 SS or CM is much harder than a cotton patch, bronze brush and is most likely impenetrable by most bore solvents.
• Yes it will remove copper fouling caught by the metal burr, but how will it remove the metal burr.
• How many shots will it take to remove the burr or imperfection and how will you know when the barrel issues have been corrected? Is it always x-amount of shots?

For those that perform this shoot and clean ritual after each round or every few rounds I assume it makes you productive, but without a bore scope aren’t you doing this blindly?

For those interested I did a lot of research on barrel break-in processes back in 2001/2 time frame after trashing a new Shilen SS Match barrel after 400 rounds of shooting moly coated bullets. I wanted to understand what went wrong. In my research I spoke with metallurgists, internal ballistic engineers, some of the premier gunsmiths and some of the top barrel makers in the country to understand what if any a barrel break-in would actually do if anything. In the end I learned that barrel break-ins are a waist of time and effort as well as a ton about internal ballistics. If anyone is interested in the write up send me a PM with your email address.

Recently spent 3 days doing break in on a pair of Remington 5R rifles.
Clean thoroughly, shoot 1, flush out the powder fouling, repeat for 20 shots.
Clean, shoot 5, clean, repeat.
As I was doing this all shots were on paper, attempting to shoot groups. As each rifle progressed through the process(ordeal?) I watched the groups shrink, and continue to improve through about round 80 on each tube until group size stabilized and was repeatable.
Owned barrels from a local manufacturer that required about 200 rounds to really shoot, and currently shoot barrels from a Pacific Northwest area company that take an average of 10 shots to reach their potential. I'm a believer in the process and have been for decades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be hard to swallow but barrel break-in is a waist of time and effort. Before jumping the gun lets look at this objectively.

• 99.9% of shooters don’t have access to a quality bore scope to view the interior surface of their barrels.
• Without a bore scope to view the interior surface of your barrel what exactly are you trying to fix by a shoot and clean process?
• Does shooting and cleaning cure all barrel imperfections if they exist? If yes, how?
• Now I do recommend cleaning your rifle after you purchase it to clean out all of the junk, oils and grease from the factory before shooting it.
• If there are burrs or machine marks from the machining process in the barrel where are they located? Without a bore scope again you have no idea.
• P

ushing a cotton patch with solvent or a bronze brush down the barrel will do what to remove a 416 stainless steel or chromemoly metal burr or machine marks?
• Last time I checked, 416 SS or CM is much harder than a cotton patch, bronze brush and is most likely impenetrable by most bore solvents.
• Yes it will remove copper fouling caught by the metal burr, but how will it remove the metal burr.
• How many shots will it take to remove the burr or imperfection and how will you know when the barrel issues have been corrected? Is it always x-amount of shots?

For those that perform this shoot and clean ritual after each round or every few rounds I assume it makes you productive, but without a bore scope aren’t you doing this blindly?

For those interested I did a lot of research on barrel break-in processes back in 2001/2 time frame after trashing a new Shilen SS Match barrel after 400 rounds of shooting moly coated bullets. I wanted to understand what went wrong. In my research I spoke with metallurgists, internal ballistic engineers, some of the premier gunsmiths and some of the top barrel makers in the country to understand what if any a barrel break-in would actually do if anything. In the end I learned that barrel break-ins are a waist of time and effort as well as a ton about internal ballistics. If anyone is interested in the write up send me a PM.
</div></div>

There is a very common and unfortunate misconception about barrel break-in. The idea behind the process has little to nothing to do with the actual rifling, burrs or machine marks in the barrel, but is intended to concentrate on the throat. After chambering, the throat could be a little rougher than it should be. When a round goes off in the chamber, the heat atomizes a portion of the copper from the projectile and this atomized copper adheres to the first surface it comes into contact with, in this case, the throat. Understanding that hot copper sticks to hot copper, it doesn't take long to build up a considerable amount of fouling in the throat and ultimately, adversely affecting accuracy.

The process of barrel break in ensures the smoothing of the throat to the point that it collects less fouling. In high quality barrels, it takes less effort to do, but obviously, all barrels are not created equally. Barrel break in is intended to ensure a longer throat life than it does a rifling life. For factory or lower quality barrels, some have found that fire lapping helps smooth the rifling, burrs and machine marks, which is a different process altogether. Does barrel break-in amount to anything? In an effort to protect your initial investment, what could it hurt? After all the time and care that goes into building high quality rifles, nothing leaves my shop without having the barrel break-in performed and I do this without a borescope. It's simple enough to watch how the patches come out to know whether or not the throat has smoothed enough to stop collecting large amounts of fouling...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be hard to swallow but barrel break-in is a waist of time and effort. Before jumping the gun lets look at this objectively.

</div></div>

I have had at least 1 borescope since 2000. I have studied / inspected and machined fine metal finishes myself. I just have to agree to disagree with you. Then let it go at that.

I just broke in a new M4 barrel, by doing the following.

Shoot it a few hundred rounds or so, and clean. Shoot it a few hundred more and clean. It shoots right at 1MOA using an EO-Tech at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be hard to swallow but barrel break-in is a waist of time and effort. Before jumping the gun lets look at this objectively.

• P

ushing a cotton patch with solvent or a bronze brush down the barrel will do what to remove a 416 stainless steel or chromemoly metal burr or machine marks?

For those interested I did a lot of research on barrel break-in processes back in 2001/2 time frame after trashing a new Shilen SS Match barrel after 400 rounds of shooting moly coated bullets. I wanted to understand what went wrong. In my research I spoke with metallurgists, internal ballistic engineers, some of the premier gunsmiths and some of the top barrel makers in the country to understand what if any a barrel break-in would actually do if anything. In the end I learned that barrel break-ins are a waist of time and effort as well as a ton about internal ballistics. If anyone is interested in the write up send me a PM.
</div></div>

There is a very common and unfortunate misconception about barrel break-in. The idea behind the process has little to nothing to do with the actual rifling, burrs or machine marks in the barrel, but is intended to concentrate on the throat. After chambering, the throat could be a little rougher than it should be. When a round goes off in the chamber, the heat atomizes a portion of the copper from the projectile and this atomized copper adheres to the first surface it comes into contact with, in this case, the throat. Understanding that hot copper sticks to hot copper, it doesn't take long to build up a considerable amount of fouling in the throat and ultimately, adversely affecting accuracy.

The process of barrel break in ensures the smoothing of the throat to the point that it collects less fouling. In high quality barrels, it takes less effort to do, but obviously, all barrels are not created equally. Barrel break in is intended to ensure a longer throat life than it does a rifling life. For factory or lower quality barrels, some have found that fire lapping helps smooth the rifling, burrs and machine marks, which is a different process altogether. Does barrel break-in amount to anything? In an effort to protect your initial investment, what could it hurt? After all the time and care that goes into building high quality rifles, nothing leaves my shop without having the barrel break-in performed and I do this without a borescope. It's simple enough to watch how the patches come out to know whether or not the throat has smoothed enough to stop collecting large amounts of fouling... </div></div>

Thats all fine and good, but can you PROVE that it makes an appricable difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be hard to swallow but barrel break-in is a waist of time and effort. Before jumping the gun lets look at this objectively.

• P

</div></div>

The process of barrel break in ensures the smoothing of the throat to the point that it collects less fouling. In high quality barrels, it takes less effort to do, but obviously, all barrels are not created equally. Barrel break in is intended to ensure a longer throat life than it does a rifling life. For factory or lower quality barrels, some have found that fire lapping helps smooth the rifling, burrs and machine marks, which is a different process altogether. Does barrel break-in amount to anything? In an effort to protect your initial investment, what could it hurt? After all the time and care that goes into building high quality rifles, nothing leaves my shop without having the barrel break-in performed and I do this without a borescope. It's simple enough to watch how the patches come out to know whether or not the throat has smoothed enough to stop collecting large amounts of fouling... </div></div>

Thats all fine and good, but can you PROVE that it makes an appricable difference? </div></div>

Not that it contributes greatly to the discussion, but I've seen cross sectioned barrels that had the same number of rounds through them, some that were properly broken in and some that weren't. The throats in the barrels that were broken in had considerably less erosion than the ones that were not. Does this prove anything? Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. But can you prove that it doesn't make an appreciable difference? If you had the opportunity to take an extra step that might make a difference in your everyday job, would you take advantage of it?

Jacob finally brought me out the Harbinger which GA Precision rebarreled with a new Rock Creek Barrel...

When I opened the case, I saw GAP included a Barrel Break Sheet, I laughed out loud, as if.

Can I have the old barrel? 10K isn't that many rounds if you don't ever clean it.
grin.gif

It was about 12k, and George said there is barely any wear, only a 1/4" or so, not like the 4" of rifling we had missing from SHR #50 when it went in at 20k.

Call George, he still has it, make an offer.
smile.gif

I'm too embarrassed to call him again, as I owe George a case of beer already: He checked my rifle, sent it back to me with some ragged-hole groups, and said there's nothing wrong with it. 'turns out it was probably the shooter.
blush.gif
The barrel was still fouling after 30+ rounds of one-and-clean. I was losing the odd round out the top at 700+ and a few entering the target on an angle at 100. I thought I had a barrel problem. Nope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be hard to swallow but barrel break-in is a waist of time and effort. Before jumping the gun lets look at this objectively.

• P

</div></div>

Thats all fine and good, but can you PROVE that it makes an appricable difference? </div></div>

Not that it contributes greatly to the discussion, but I've seen cross sectioned barrels that had the same number of rounds through them, some that were properly broken in and some that weren't. The throats in the barrels that were broken in had considerably less erosion than the ones that were not. Does this prove anything? Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. But can you prove that it doesn't make an appreciable difference? If you had the opportunity to take an extra step that might make a difference in your everyday job, would you take advantage of it? </div></div>

Nope, the steps of my everyday job are pretty well laid out infront of me and require very little extra on my part, and thats because someone took the time to prove them with thier blood.

And as for the barrels, unless we're talking cleanroom, scientific studys, what has been seen on one barrel verses anothing is irrelevent. All other conditions must be the same to the degree of the barrels needing to have been the same laped tube before the eventual seperation and chanbering.

[/quote] Nope, the steps of my everyday job are pretty well laid out infront of me and require very little extra on my part, and thats because someone took the time to prove them with thier blood.

And as for the barrels, unless we're talking cleanroom, scientific studys, what has been seen on one barrel verses anothing is irrelevent. All other conditions must be the same to the degree of the barrels needing to have been the same laped tube before the eventual seperation and chanbering.[/quote]

So tell me this, if the guys before you had taken the extra steps, would it have been necessary to prove anything with blood? I'm a pilot myself and have been for quite some time and I've never been one to leave it up to someone else, blood or no blood. Of the unwanted traits in a pilot, machoism and complacency have created copious amounts of blood.

As far as the barrels I inspected, they were the same manufacturer, same material, same caliber, same twist rate, same number of rounds, chambered with the same reamer. Everything was the same except some were broken in and some weren't. Personally, that is reason enough for me to take extra steps in the rifles I build to ensure the absolute best. As a pilot I leave nothing to chance, same as the rifles I build....

Tell me of an instance that you don't fall back on the expierences of others when it comes to flying. Its all based on knowlage previously found by those that have been there. I've been at it quite some time and I have yet to have a situation that I have gotten my self into by following all the rules (Of thumb also) and then didn't get myself out of that sutuation all by my self. I alway fell back on the training, which had it not been for someone elses mistakes would not have been there. I'm not sayin that the conclusions can't be extrapolated from a number of different sorces when it comes to the finnal outcome in the air, but to relate something as complex and fluid as flying to something that could be as cut and dry as a scientific conlusion insted of a theory based on similar but not identical barrels and how they were taken care of is strechin it.

Any so called extra steps or thinking that weren't exactly standardized throughout the industry that I do, have been proven to have an appricable impact on the outcome of the situations in which they are used.

The fact is I've also seen a number of rifles both broken in and not that both shot very well and had similar life spans before they opend up of the last time. The fact is, nobody has proven that its advantages to brake the barrel in. And untile i see a justifyable differenc in the performance and/or life of my rifles and/or the rifles of others that and be directly attributed to either braking in or not, I'm going to shoot my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually ran across this just today.

It is a PDF, fyi.
http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/downloads/break_in_article_new.pdf

<span style="font-weight: bold">It is more or less an advertisement</span> but is interesting none the less. It explains the sometimes abstract concepts of what barrel break in is actually trying to achieve.
</div></div>

While I do value the opinions of alot of the shooters here and elswhere, you still have to remember to take it with a grain of salt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually ran across this just today.

It is a PDF, fyi.

<span style="font-weight: bold">It is more or less an advertisement</span> but is interesting none the less. It explains the sometimes abstract concepts of what barrel break in is actually trying to achieve.
</div></div>

While I do value the opinions of alot of the shooters here and elswhere, you still have to remember to take it with a grain of salt. </div></div>

Now we're starting to get somewhere. I realize that the two topics are unrelated but my goal was to invoke actual thought about this and I used something you strongly identify with to do so. I agree with everything you said about flying and I have lived by those same rules as well. You cited numerous times in your remarks about using the experiences of others to avoid the same situations in the air and this is where the two topics start to converge a little.

There are obviously multiple schools of thought about this, but there are a lot of guys on here and elsewhere that have certain positive experiences about barrel break-in and in some cases a substantial amount of supporting evidence. Is this the experiences of others that you now regard more as opinion or is this the same type of experience that you abide by in the air? Obviously there's no scientific data to support this, but remember, we're only talking about barrel break-in, not curing cancer. But I think if you look hard enough at the actual intent of barrel break-in, it starts to make a little more sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually ran across this just today.

It is a PDF, fyi.

</div></div>

While I do value the opinions of alot of the shooters here and elswhere, you still have to remember to take it with a grain of salt. </div></div>

Now we're starting to get somewhere. I realize that the two topics are unrelated but my goal was to invoke actual thought about this and I used something you strongly identify with to do so. I agree with everything you said about flying and I have lived by those same rules as well. You cited numerous times in your remarks about using the experiences of others to avoid the same situations in the air and this is where the two topics start to converge a little.

There are obviously multiple schools of thought about this, but there are a lot of guys on here and elsewhere that have certain positive experiences about barrel break-in and in some cases a substantial amount of supporting evidence. Is this the experiences of others that you now regard more as opinion or is this the same type of experience that you abide by in the air? Obviously there's no scientific data to support this, but remember, we're only talking about barrel break-in, not curing cancer. But I think if you look hard enough at the actual intent of barrel break-in, it starts to make a little more sense.

</div></div>

Like has been said may time on this very subject, To each his own.

I'm out for the night

Take it easy.

This is probably one if not the most controversial subjects in rifle talk. What I have learned is 100% what skunkworks explained. Don't beat me up to bad, it's just what I was taught and makes sence to me.

Who cares! It's yours do what you want with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is probably one if not the most controversial subjects in rifle talk. What I have learned is 100% what skunkworks explained. Don't beat me up to bad, it's just what I was taught and makes sence to me. </div></div>

It comes down to what make you feel better about your investment. I've heard very reputible builders and shooters say that the act of cleaning can and does cause damage that other wize would not be there, and on the other hand, I've heard and read equaly reputible builders say that the act of not cleaning is just as detremental.

At this time there are aguments on both sides that can be very convincing, but neither side has been 100% proven. I just prefer to shoot rather than clean.

I've decided to give the barrel a good non aggressive cleaning before I shoot it to get the oils, dust, metal flakes, Jimmy Hoffa or whatever is in there out. Since running a patch down the bore isn't hard or time consuming it doesn't bother me to clean between shots. A question I have is after I run a patch of solvent down the bore, do I follow up with a patch of gun oil before I shoot again? Some say no, some say yes...........whats the verdict?

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided to give the barrel a good non aggressive cleaning before I shoot it to get the oils, dust, metal flakes, Jimmy Hoffa or whatever is in there out. Since running a patch down the bore isn't hard or time consuming it doesn't bother me to clean between shots. A question I have is after I run a patch of solvent down the bore, do I follow up with a patch of gun oil before I shoot again? Some say no, some say yes...........whats the verdict?

Kelly </div></div>

No on the oil, be sure to use a bore guide, a good quality one piece rod that is either carbon fiber or at least coated. No metal rods. High quality jag and unscrew it before dragging the rod back through the barrel to keep the bare jag away from the crown/bore.

I've got the bore guide, very nice 1 piece rod and good jags.....just needed some info on the process from those in the know, you know?

Thanks

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

lol. That was awesome. I think he needed to throw it down a couple more times though, didn't sound quite broken in to me
wink.gif

This "break-in" stuff is getting out of hand. I was on GlockTalk the other day, and someone was asking about the proper method for breaking in the bbl on a G17.

Well, when someone spends good money on a firearm they want some idea of how to make it perform better, last longer, or take care of it. Nothing wrong with asking for another opinion. I'd rather ask a few questions than throw money away.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know there are many methods to breaking in a factory barrel, and was wanting some advice on which you guys prefer and why. I will be getting my Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 this week, someone give me an outline on a good routine to use on the barrel. Throw some ideas out there!!

Thank you,

Kelly</div></div>

As already pointed out in other posts...there are nearly as many opinions as members on this issue..and you know the saying about opinions? They are like assholes....everybody has one
smile.gif

FWIW I've always broken in my new barrels - hell, it's my money and I'd rather take a little time to try to get the best out of the spend (whether the benefit is purely psychological or not).

I've always understood the break in process was to get heat cycles through the barrel just as much as smoothing out. Skunkwork's posts earlier are interesting to read.

Have a look at these guidelines:

http://www.border-barrels.com/shoot-in.htm

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-download.html

A lot of the anti-break-in opinion seems to focus on the dangers of too much or incorrect cleaning....

To me that is a different issue and saying break-in reduces barrel life because of the extra cleaning passes and the possibility of increasing damage to the bore is not a convincing argument for not doing it. Rather it should encourage those who have had this problem to re-visit their care/cleaning routines, materials and technique.

As for the "barrel makers conspiracy" theory (i.e break-in = more damage/shorter barrel life = more barrels sold therefore that is why some encourage break-in)....

Popcorn anyone.......?
smile.gif

Whatever you decide...hope the rifle turns out as you expected.

Shoot it, enjoy it, maintain it as you see fit.

Good Shooting!

I agree on the shoot 20, clean and shoot 20 more. Some go out to the extreme to do 10 then clean etc. I've never seen where this makes a difference personally

In a factory tube, I dont even bother with the shoot one clean method, I just use Tubbs Final Finish to break the barrel in.

In a custom tube, I do the shoot one, clean for 3-5 rounds and call it good.

I break in every barrel I shoot and each time its diffrent. It all depends on the barrel and the throat. I clean first, then watch what the barrel tells me, looking for copper. I shoot 1 round and patch w/ good solvent (I use tm solution) then look in the muzzle (or borescope if you have one) remember the ammount of copper. Thouroughly clean, shoot 1 more and inspect after solvent patch, do this untill the copper all but disaperars, a trace is ok to procede. Then shoot 3 rounds and repeat the same process, untill the copper realy drops off. Then move to 5 round cycles. With custom barrels and sharp throats this will be very few rounds I have done it in less than 10 rounds total, but factory barrels require a bit more time. Remember the caliber will also be something to consider a .308 win will not copper as bad as a 6.5-284 shooting 142g bullets, and some barrel/caliber combinations never realy stop showing copper. I never spend more than 4-5 cycles per group if its not cleaning up move on , you are wasting your time. I feel its also very important to controll the barrel heat for the first 300 rounds or so, keep it cool!

Whether breaking in helps, or not.......for some people it might give them confidence that their barrel is prepared and going to shoot better. Confidence, not only in shooting, will give you a psychological edge and will make you perform better a lot of the time. So it might help, and might not.......I've always wanted to think that it prepares a barrel and that is why I do it.

Kelly

I keep reading "better safe than sorry." or "what if issues occur if I don't?" type of statments. Its not like the guns gonna explode if you don't do a "BRAKE" in. I mean if it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, then fine. But its not like your preventing something catastrophic from happening. The suns gonna rise tomorrow, you'll still owe the IRS your taxes and the rifle will still shoot.