• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel Break In

DBF

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
United States
I've searched for prior posts but can't find any. What do you all recommend for breaking in a new Rem 700? I'm getting a .308 VTR and want to do it right. And since the break in means cleaning, what does everyone recommend? I'm well aware that there's probably 100 different points of view from 99 people, I'm just trying to do it right, this rifle has to last.
Thanks.

Re: Barrel Break In

Use this search Here

When using the above search there are 10 pages related to barrel break in.

That being said, just shoot it.

+3 just shoot it. A lot. Rinse, rebarrel, repeat.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

1 round, clean it. Repeat 10 times. 5 rounds, clean it. Repeat for 20 rounds. 20 rounds. Clean it.
Zero it. Shoot it at 100M until you can make one ragged hole. Now document your zero and move to 150M. Repeat at 200M, 300M, 400M, 500M etc until you have solid, repeatable dope on your rifle.
If the frustration, let downs, and costs put you in a depressive state because you suck and can't shoot, sell it all and go buy a house or a Harley. You will spend even more money and be happier
grin.gif

Of course that being said, the very first time you get a 1/2 MOA group at 300M, you will be ecstatic and be good to maybe 600M when the next 'huge group' wall hits you. Oh, reload, it helps to fix the cringe you get when looking at match grade ammo prices. All that practice ammo is cheap, but groups real crappy, so be prepared to spend your hard earned loot on good ammo. For some reason, Remington 700's like 2700fps with 45gr Varget, Win cases, and 175SMK's, if you can find 210M, or BR primers have at it, WLR's and 210's work just as well though

Okay, recommendations for a good bore guide? Cleaning equipment? Brush or mop? That kinda thing.
And again thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, recommendations for a good bore guide? Cleaning equipment? Brush or mop? That kinda thing.
And again thanks. </div></div>

There are a couple good ones, though the ones with rubber O-rings keep more solvents from running back into the bedding and magazine. Jags, brushes and loops all have their place and a couple one piece rods are worthwhile so you aren't constantly removing and replacing tips. Check out Sinclair's site and Midway's gun smithing section.

The reason I posted the comic video and flippant post above is that people really over do the breakin and cleaning, and there is more than ample evidence that damage is often done by overly fastidious gunscrubbers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucas bore guide
Dewey 1 piece rod</div></div>

+10 on Mike Lucas' bore guides....I've got them for my .308 and 8mm.

If I bought any more bore guides these would be the ones I'd go for.

On the rod, also look at the Bore Stix range - solid and well made compared to others I've tried...plus they are coated.

Lol... didn’t realize I was on the LAST page of posts. Happy to resurrect this for anyone wondering about barrel break in.:ROFLMAO: