• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Break In

Woolsocks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
Washington
Breaking in a new barrel. How important is it to get every bit of carbon out?

The manufacturer recommends cleaning after every round for the first 5 shots, then every 5 rounds for the next 15. That’s 8 cleanings.

I can get the copper out with solvent and patches, a nylon brush if need be. Getting 100 percent of the carbon out requires an abrasive cleaner like iosso. Not a fan of doing that 8 times in one day on a new barrel.

Barrel came lapped from the manufacturer. They test fired 4 shots for a .35moa group. Photos below show cleaning after those 4 shots. Method was 2 rounds of soak and clean with wipe-out.

2/3 down the barrel (8 inches from the muzzle) Shiny clean - no copper
IMG_1289.jpeg

1/3 down (8 inches from the chamber) no copper, but a thin layer of carbon.

IMG_1288.jpeg

If I want the whole barrel shiny, I’ll need iosso, which I’d normally use every 50-100 rounds, not 8 times for 20 rounds. Seems like a lot.

Very nice lapping. Very important to completely remove the copper during break in, but not barrel carbon/burn discoloration. You will not damage the barrel with Iosso.

That barrel is plenty clean. The point is to just not have a bunch of buildup or deposits so the bullets can fire lap it.

I usually lightly clean after the first few rounds and then again around 20 and 50 and then give it a solid cleaning with brushing around 100 or so. From my experience that has been enough to keep fouling down so that the barrel can break in. If a barrel is rough enough that I’d need to clean it every round for the first 10 or whatever or anywhere close to that much I’d either start with some tubbs final finish or find a nice tomato plant to hold up with it.

I usually shoot 50 rounds through a new barrel and then clean it to bare metal and do load development. I check velocity at 200 rounds and make changes if needed.
Some guys will shoot 200 on the first go round and then do load development. Either way no issues.
Looks good to go.

My understanding is that the main purpose of break in is to smooth out the throat a bit so getting the copper out is the objective.

I do break in barrels...but I don't go by any specific set of rounds and cleaning. I think my last Bartlein chambered by Ern at Altus quit giving me copper after 3 single rounds. I shot a 3 (or maybe 5) group after that....no copper to speak of. Called it done.

This is from Mr. Green and company at Bartlein:

Even a beautifully lapped premium SS barrel that will show minimal copper fouling once broken in can madly copper foul for the first few shots. Important to remove this copper immediately to prevent a very difficult to remove deposit of layered copper. With a good barrel this may take as few as 3-5 shots.

Tried it both ways… Same results. Just scrub it down to the white when it’s brand new before ever shooting it, run a wet patch with RemOil on it and let it soak in overnight, and then go shoot the damn thing.

Used to do the whole crazy process ... but have actually learned that for the quality barrels I use, it's just not necessary. Now my first range trip is 10 shots, and then home for a really thorough cleaning. After that, I shoot what and when I want to, with light cleaning after each range visit and deep cleaning before they go into the safe for the winter. The whole shoot-clean-shoot-clean-blah-blah-blah is a waste of time and resources. IMHO

oh cool a new, never discussed topic!!!!

Hahahahahaha

Just shoot it and buy good coated cleaning rods!

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
Used to do the whole crazy process ... but have actually learned that for the quality barrels I use, it's just not necessary. Now my first range trip is 10 shots, and then home for a really thorough cleaning. After that, I shoot what and when I want to, with light cleaning after each range visit and deep cleaning before they go into the safe for the winter. The whole shoot-clean-shoot-clean-blah-blah-blah is a waste of time and resources. IMHO
It's not nessasirly about the quality of the barrel. It's more the quality of the chamber job.