• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Burn Out issues

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
Posted this on another thread and thought it might be of interest on the front page. If not, please ignore

Its all kind of funny. Back in the day (that would be the 1950’s and 1960’s) worrying about burning up a barrel was all the rage and the success of a product was dependent on how long the barrel would last. My guess is that the .22 Swift brought all of this on. But, the Swift was probably the only round that was ever shot enough by riflemen to actually damage a barrel prior to the late 1950’s. The ammunition costs and the reason to be using a high powered rifle in the first place so limited use that barrel degradation ever occurred in Real Time, Real Use. (Hard as it may seem, limited reloading and cartridge costs of $4.95 for 20 were significant expenses in 1964.)

So, now we have people who really shoot a lot. It all really started with IHMSA and NRA Rifle Silhouette. One had to shoot a bit to be proficient. And, having to put 5 rounds down a barrel in less than 2 minutes and shoot 40 rounds on a hot day in an hour or less actually put some stress on a barrel. Now, we really shoot, shoot a lot. A hundred or more rounds per day. As I said, back in the day, many rifles never got shot a hundred times during the lifetime of the owner. AND we worried about burning out a barrel. We made purchases based on finding a rifle that would not burn a barrel out in 1500 rounds and then never shot it more than five times a year, for twenty years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude
giphy (18).gif

Barrel wear is still a thing but not as big of a thing as it was back then. Advances in metallurgy and propellants have come a long way contributing to longer-lasting barrels. It also was a bigger deal to re-barrel a rifle than it is today. Hardly anyone spun on their own barrels back then and it wasn't exactly easy finding a smith that was good at it either. Now we have better smiths and more shops at home. Guys that are very serious about accuracy are still either picking chamberings that aren't barrel-burners or are re-barreling often.

I have no idea what you're referring to with your last sentence. That hasn't been my experience at all but I don't store my rifles at the bottom of a lake either.

As I am sure you are aware, stainless is not totally stainless. Eventually it will corrode especially if it is not cared for/neglected or treated with chemicals that are very corrosive. The actual sentence was really meant to be allegorical. The meaning,eventually, if total ignored and or neglected, even stainless will deteriorate.

As I am sure you are aware, stainless is not totally stainless. Eventually it will corrode especially if it is not cared for/neglected or treated with chemicals that are very corrosive. The actual sentence was really meant to be allegorical. The meaning,eventually, if total ignored and or neglected, even stainless will deteriorate.
As I am sure you are aware, there are different grades of stainless; some more susceptible to corrosion than others. Remington's stainless rusts terribly whereas one from a high-end manufacturer won't. Saying that all stainless will deteriorate is fake news.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. If someone is storing a rifle in the corner of the livestock barn for years then, yes, they're probably going to have some sort of problem. If you're claiming that tossing a rifle in the safe without cleaning it for months will lead to corrosion . . . well . . . then that's just BS.

You talk about tires but really what you mean is that a car that sat for 40 years won’t run because a squirrel ate through the air filter and made a nest in cylinder number 7. Squirrels are incompressible and don’t mix well with air and fuel, everyone knows this. What were we talking about again?

You talk about tires but really what you mean is that a car that sat for 40 years won’t run because a squirrel ate through the air filter and made a nest in cylinder number 7. Squirrels are incompressible and don’t mix well with air and fuel, everyone knows this. What were we talking about again?
Everything is compressible if you squeeze hard enough.

I didn't follow all of that...... But my barrel burn out issue is: I buy a new gun and do all of the load development and testing- and then when I get one that is really a shooter I don't want to toast my barrel so it goes in the back of the safe to collect dust. And then I buy a new gun and start over-- It doesn't make much sense- but I have a hard time ringing steel with my 1/4 moa guns-- prefer to shoot out the barrels in 1moa guns.

Fisher.... on a side note-- I'd be very wary of that neighbor,, WTF.... who needs 3 rabbits? Unless he's a magician?