• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Cleaning

coues7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2007
White Mountains AZ
So I'm using KG1 and KG12 for my rifle barrel cleaning. I believe it's been around 100 rounds since it was cleaned, and I decided to clean it simply to clean it.....with that being said, I've put 16 patches of the KG1 down the barrel and I'm still getting "carbon". At what point do you quit and go to copper cleaning?

By the way, this is a Bartlien barrel and a 300WM

Re: Barrel Cleaning

I have found that a brass jag will turn the patch blue also. Even when My barrel was clean. just my .02.

There is actually alot of controversy about this topic. Some hardly clean at all and others scrub and scrub. I have found in my shooting that I cleaning it when it doesn't shoot accurately anymore. i think that my 300 wm has 600+ rounds through it since my last cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cfish36</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I know that I didn't answer your question. Just thought I would share my experience. </div></div>
Amen, clean only when accuracy deteriorates. Get your flame suit on fish cause here comes the pissin match.

Well, I started my 6.5x47 Lapua barrel with Ultra Bore Coat, did some barrel break in, load development and have not cleaned it since round 300. I've got over 1200 rounds now. Accuracy is still 1/2 MOA for 5-10 shots.

6.5x47

If my rifle is going to sit for more than 3 days without being fired, I clean it and lightly oil it. Butch's Bore Shine is the way to go. It removes everything, including copper, but is gentle enough to leave in the barrel for days. BBS is the standard at the Benchrest Super Shoot. We all pretty much clean our barrels between relays. The thought of leaving all that shit in the barrel makes my skin crawl. Trust me, scrubbing your barrel with a brass brush and cotton patches is not going to make your barrel wear faster. I mean cmon, if a barrel can take a copper 210g 308cal bullet screaming down the barrel at 2900fps for 2000rds, pushing a brass brush isnt going to hurt it.

I can understand the need to clean if one lives in a humid climate. Would hate to let rust happen. Here in the dry mountains states, it's not necessary; until the accuracy sours, then it's time to clean.

6.5x47

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I'm using KG1 and KG12 for my rifle barrel cleaning. I believe it's been around 100 rounds since it was cleaned, and I decided to clean it simply to clean it.....with that being said, I've put 16 patches of the KG1 down the barrel and I'm still getting "carbon". At what point do you quit and go to copper cleaning?

By the way, this is a Bartlien barrel and a 300WM</div></div>

You have a good match grade barrel that "should" clean up easily. No matter how many rounds I fire, once the barrel is "broke in" ( I hate using that term)I can usually get it very clean with only 4-5 patches of Butches Bore Shine. You barrel may be badly fouled. Get a bronze brush, or atleast a nylon brush and make a pass down the barrel. Then, follow with a wet patch. I wouldnt recommend "scubbing" the barrel. Just make a pass then patch it out. Break the shit loose, then patch it out....then repeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cfish36</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I know that I didn't answer your question. Just thought I would share my experience. </div></div>
Amen, clean only when accuracy deteriorates. Get your flame suit on fish cause here comes the pissin match. </div></div>

Nothing like pepsi through the nose. I almost choked on my drink when I read that. LOL

Good luck on deciphering your answer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I'm using KG1 and KG12 for my rifle barrel cleaning. I believe it's been around 100 rounds since it was cleaned, and I decided to clean it simply to clean it.....with that being said, I've put 16 patches of the KG1 down the barrel and I'm still getting "carbon". At what point do you quit and go to copper cleaning?

By the way, this is a Bartlien barrel and a 300WM </div></div>
I move to copper removal when the carbon is gone as for removing carbon I use quicksilver power tune best stuff IMO to remove carbon

If you are having that much trouble getting cleaned up, you might have alligator throat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Butch's Bore Shine is the way to go. It removes everything, including copper, but is gentle enough to leave in the barrel for days.</div></div>

Butch's Bore shine contains ammonia and is not gentle enough to leave in your barrel for days. If you're leaving Butch's in your barrel for days and repeating this process I'm sure you'll be shocked if you look at your bore surface through a quality bore scope. Ammonia type cleaners left for long periods will begin to pit stainless steel and chrome moly barrels as well as rust a chrome moly barrels when left for long periods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That "black" you believe is carbon is your barrel. You're killing your barrel life. </div></div>

I'm with LowLight on this one. Stop trying to clean your barrel to a high gloss shine. Ask a quality barrel maker and they'll tell you they see more barrels ruined by over cleaning.

Some prefer a clean dead barrel over a dirty live one I guess.