• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Barrel contour for f-class

Kirkd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2013
Greenwood, IN
I starting shooting F-class this spring and I'm shooting a Remington 243 with factory barrel. I'm going to do the group buy from LRI that is going on. Anyway, I have all of these contours to choose from. Looking for advice.

I only shoot on a bench at 100 yards and f-class matches. So I'm not jumping this rifle around, so weight shouldn't be a consideration other that I have to stay with the weight of f-class open regs.

I'm looking at Bartlein barrels

Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Contours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

What caliber are you planning to make it?

If you are planning to shoot F-TR you need to have it be either a 223 or a 308, if you plan to shoot open that's a whole other story. (and you have a lot more weight to play with)

If you are making an F-TR rifle then a 30" heavy palma is the easy answer. Depending on the weight of all your other components you can get some heavier contours to work, but a Heavy Palma will put you w/i a pound of the weight limit with most setups.

Kirkd, weigh all your parts with a good scale. Then look at a barrel 28-30" long and make it as heavy as you can and still make weight. The heavier the barrel the better but you have to make weight

I starting shooting F-class this spring and I'm shooting a Remington 243 with factory barrel. I'm going to do the group buy from LRI that is going on. Anyway, I have all of these contours to choose from. Looking for advice.

I only shoot on a bench at 100 yards and f-class matches. So I'm not jumping this rifle around, so weight shouldn't be a consideration other that I have to stay with the weight of f-class open regs.

I'm looking at Bartlein barrels

Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Contours

F-Class open has a 22# weight limit.

My gun is a Barnard Model P action (heavier than a Rem.700), the barrel is a .284win. and it's a 1.250" str. blank (no taper) and is 32" long. The stock is a McMillan Tooley MBR. With the scope it weights 20# and change.

Are you gonna run a .243win.? Not a bad round but for F-Open the 7's are hard to beat!

I'll try posting a pic. later of my rifle but photobucket isn't working right now! At least for me!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Barrel contour for f-class

F-Class open has a 22# weight limit.

My gun is a Barnard Model P action (heavier than a Rem.700), the barrel is a .284win. and it's a 1.250" str. blank (no taper) and is 32" long. The stock is a McMillan Tooley MBR. With the scope it weights 20# and change.

Are you gonna run a .243win.? Not a bad round but for F-Open the 7's are hard to beat!

I'll try posting a pic. later of my rifle but photobucket isn't working right now! At least for me!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I'm more than likely going to do a 260.

Last edited:
Frank, I didn't know you monitored the forum. I sent Bartlein an e-mail, so you answered twice. It's nice that Bartlein monitors and add their input. Here's his response to my email so if anyone else has a question:

Kirk, It more depends on your components.Weight limit in F-open is 22#.

Most guys are running either a straight blank or a straight taper barrel like 1.250" x 5.000" str. tapers to around .900" to 1" muzzle diameters. Most finish lengths are 30" to 32".

My F-Class open gun's barrel is a 1.250" diameter straight (no taper) and is finished at 32" long. My action is a Barnard Model P (heavier than a Rem. 700) and the stock is a McMillan Tooley MBR. With the scope on it my gun (March 10-80x) it weighs 20# maybe a tad over.

I don't know if your stocks barrel channel can be opened up to a straight blank. If not you should be able to get like the heavy varmint contour into it.

Any questions let me know.

Later, Frank

Bartlein Barrels, Inc.
www.bartleinbarrels.com
262-677-1717 (ph)
262-677-9225 (fax)

You can't go wrong listening to Frank.

Which reminds me I need to get another .223 barrel on order from Bartlein. lol

Frank, I didn't know you monitored the forum. I sent Bartlein an e-mail, so you answered twice. It's nice that Bartlein monitors and add their input. Here's his response to my email so if anyone else has a question:

Kirk, It more depends on your components.Weight limit in F-open is 22#.

Most guys are running either a straight blank or a straight taper barrel like 1.250" x 5.000" str. tapers to around .900" to 1" muzzle diameters. Most finish lengths are 30" to 32".

My F-Class open gun's barrel is a 1.250" diameter straight (no taper) and is finished at 32" long. My action is a Barnard Model P (heavier than a Rem. 700) and the stock is a McMillan Tooley MBR. With the scope on it my gun (March 10-80x) it weighs 20# maybe a tad over.

I don't know if your stocks barrel channel can be opened up to a straight blank. If not you should be able to get like the heavy varmint contour into it.

Any questions let me know.

Later, Frank

Bartlein Barrels, Inc.
Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Main Page
262-677-1717 (ph)
262-677-9225 (fax)

Here is a picture of my rifle. I'm on the hide more than any other forum. Only so much time.....Later, Frank

Ditto on what Frank said. Also, bullets.com carries a lot of Bartlein barrels and will usually have some 30/32 inch straight/straight taper barrels in stock. I'm shooting a 6.5 creedmore in mid-range (600 yards), but I'm having a 280AI built to shoot at 1K, with a 32 straight taper barrel from Bartlein (180 berger hybrid the magic pill...).

I took a little different approach on barrel contour for this one that I just built. This is a Whitley medium contour from Bartlein in a 6 BRX. Most of my F-class rifles have HV or straight contours, but I wanted a little lighter rifle that will see some time in a p-dog town every year.