• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Contour & SureFire muzzle brake

Red Belly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
MA
I want to put a 18.5" barrel with a surefire muzzle break on my 308WIN.

I am looking to use a Bartlein light varmit or heavy varmit barrel contour.

My question is, with respect to barrel contour, does the contour determine how short(or minimum length)the barrel can be cut?

I understand the barrel needs to be turned back for the muzzle brake. I am just wondering which one would be a better choice.

Re: Barrel Contour & SureFire muzzle brake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does the contour determine how short(or minimum length)the barrel can be cut?
<span style="color: #FF0000">NO</span>

I understand the barrel needs to be turned back for the muzzle brake. I am just wondering which one would be a better choice.
<span style="color: #FF0000">They are both a fine choice. just be sure to have a qualified gunsmith do the threading and turning of the barrel. </span>

</div></div>

Re: Barrel Contour & SureFire muzzle brake

Thanks for the info. I am absolutely going to trust a pro with this job. As Clint Eastwood said "a man's got to know his limitations".