• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel contour

scootball

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2009
Georgia
Im gathering components for a build, possibly in a 260 for a tactical bolt gun. Im not familiar with the barrel contours. any suggestions?

Re: barrel contour

Check out the barrel manufacturers sites. They list what contours they make and the dimensions.

What do you mean by tactical bolt gun? If you mean something that you will be shooting rapid fire with lots of rounds in one session for competitions, etc...then I would go with an MTU or similar.

Barrel contours will vary a little by manufacturers. For Bartlein, the M24/M40 contour is #14.

There is a problem with some makers terminolgy. An M24 barrel is a straight taper target barrel about like a #7 Douglas. An M40 contour should be a Remington Varmint contour as this is what an M40 rifle was. The correct terminology should be M40A1 barrel which is quite similar to an M24 contour.

Studies the barrel dimensions on each manufacturers site. Many differ. You will likely want something between a Remington Varmint contour and a M24/M40. Many also just use a single number to represent a specific contour. By looking at those dimensions and understanding them, you will not only learn something, but you will get exactly what you want.

If you plan to carry it around alot skip the MTU and go with something thinner, for your "tactical" shooting you wont gain anything by the MTU profile other then more weight to carry around.

I had a MTU contour on my 6.5x47 Krieger barrel and now it´s more like a "light varmint" and I haven´t experienced any loss in accuracy, if there is any I can´t shoot the difference during the matches we shoot here in Sweden(with help from a bipod/beanbag)

im not the biggest guy in the world so even though weight isnt the deciding factor, i do take it into consideration