• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Cool

hermosabeach

Invite new Gun owners to the range in 2021
Minuteman
Does anyone run one of these barrel cool fans?

I think there are more eyes here than other sub forums.
1589396538356.jpeg

Oh good lord, just when I thought things cannot get any worse, I scrolled down that page and came upon this...

IMG_20190308_143542.jpg

anim_lol.gif

The one I posted above is used by guys in the PRS.
I haven't used it but the word is if you want one the magneto is solid.

R

tried those chamber chillers and it worked , but so did stop shooting for a couple of minutes the stopping was free the cooler cost 50.00 or so not to mention replacing the batteries I'll stick to taking a break and stretching a bit not to mention its a nice chance to see just how good or bad others are shooting which is always a fun thing to observe .

Here's 20% off if anyone needs something from Magnetospeed.
Mag-jm3qph

Reactions: MCHOG
So what is this thing ? a rifle mounted umbrella?

French have on PGM a so called 'Intervention barrel' with aluminum cooling jacket with oil heat transfer medium , ither for shooting up some human wave style attacks of savages in Africa or more likely to make the rifle a bit lighter.

pgm338_intervention.jpg

Listen all you guys poking fun think your shit dont stink. Someone comes up with a brilliant plan to increase accuracy and consistency, and you Jack wagons want to throw rocks. It's clear you snobs are clueless.
That scope shelter is brilliant as well, what's wrong with wanting to protect your delicate investment?

Now if you will excuse me, I have some primers to weigh.

Made me think of the scene from We Were Soldiers where they pissed on the mortar to cool it .
And that made me think of being young and putting a capped empty beer bottle in the camp fire and getting the new guy to piss on it.

It's clear that some of you may think I was being serious in my previous post. Well......ket me see if I can shed some light on my stance.

I have an old Lyman loading manual, first one I ever owned, it's rather dog eared.
There are some rather interesting things in Lyman manuals. A particular piece that sticks out, is the origin of rifling. Now....rifling it seems, was a bit of an accident. The first instance of rifling being put on a bullet or in a barrel, was not because they had an idea about gyroscopic and centrifugal force having a stabilizing effect.....no. They were convinced that bad humors and evil forces rode on bullets, and caused inaccuracies through meddling with the bullet in flight. They believed that imparting spin, might "fling" these demons off a bullet and make it more likely to follow a straight path.

It would appear, we have learned little since.

Made me think of the scene from We Were Soldiers where they pissed on the mortar to cool it .
Beat me to it, brother!!

Here's how I deal with it...

sangin vickers (2).jpg

Sharp eyed viewers will note that the water can is not attached. But since I am only firing short bursts... I don't need the condenser and just filled the jacket and put the plugs in. Not enough heat in <one belt to cause pressure issue.

But I supposed fans would be... an option.

Sirhr

It's in the drop down model, just let them know it's for an S&B Ultra Short.
That's not helping me any. If it fits a 50mm obj, there's not much I can do with that. Hotdog down a hallway and all...

Is this legal in Canada? Asking for Sean the N... I mean, "this guy".

Looks like it'd be perfect for keeping the balls cool and it'll perch right above 'em too... I guess you could use the top hole for blowing bubbles. Special effects and all.

Last edited:
I'm looking at different ways to cool a barrel as well. There is one thing that I learned in life is that if something looks stupid but it works, then it isn't stupid.

I'm not saying that the product in the OP's posting is a good idea. I will admit that I doubt that it works. Nevertheless, I'd like to see more data before spending $75 on that product.

I was re-zeroing a rifle the other day and sending some extra practice rounds downrange when I decided to point some electric fans at the rifle in an effort to cool the barrel. I didn't think it would work very fast but decided to try it anyway.

The fans belong to the club and are inside the rifle house for shooters to keep cool on hot days.

Anyway, after I pointed the fans at my rifle I noticed that the mirage from the hot rifle barrel had disappeared completely! This was obviously the result of air flow eliminating the heat waves and not a big reduction in metal temperature. [smacks self on forehead and wonders why that wasn't thought of before].

I could imagine the impression I would give someone seeing me shooting prone with two big electric fans blowing on my rifle. After all, I would never have electric fans with me in the field hunting so why would I use them at the rifle range.

Well, as I accidentally discovered, the mirage cause by barrel and suppressor heat disappeared. Note, I do use a suppressor wrap but the mirage is still there.

I usually like to zero all my rifles from a prone position on the bipod as I would shoot them in the field with 10 shot groups. I want to see the performance and any POI shift when the barrel heats up.

This gets difficult when mirage is factored in the shooting session. With the electric fans, the mirage is eliminated and I'm able to see what my rifles are capable of doing with hot barrels.

Next on my shopping or DIY list are mirage strips.

Back to barrel cooling. I've seen smarter men than me use the portable barrel cooling fans but articles that I've read with temperature readings taken at various intervals leave me wondering about the efficacy of these devices.

This leads me to another idea.

I have a gadzillion 12g CO2 cartridges for air guns and the CO2 tire inflator like the ones pictured below.

1595630744009.png
1595630793757.png

This entire subject of barrel cooling got me to thinking about using these CO2 tire inflators with flexible tubing to shoot a couple cold blasts of air inside the barrel to get it to cool after about 10-20 rounds.

The obvious concern is the blast of freezing air inside a hot barrel and what it does to cause any material fatigue.

I read on some other forums the same cause for concern. However, there was one person, who claimed to have some expertise in metallurgy, said it would not be a problem. I regret that I cannot find that link anywhere now.

Others have mentioned pouring cold water down a barrel. I've done that with a paper cartridge sharps rifle and a a 45-70 as well as other muzzle-loaders when I've shot a lot and need to reduce the fouling. Yet, I doubt that the temperature in a single shot blackpowder rifle would get as high as a centerfire semi-auto or bolt action rifle.

Still others have said they simply use a rag soaked with water and/or alcohol applied to the barrel to get it to cool.

So what is the consensus with the metallurgists in this group? Are there any advantages or risks with using CO2 or water to cool the barrel?

we tried the chamber chiller , and for 50 bucks it was not that bad while it lasted which was not long can't blame the product cause I think the kids were playing with it . But have little proof either way . I did see someone using an air mattress pump to pipe cooler outside air down the tube it was louder but pushed more air and the guy said he had a few of them lying around so just a little modified it a bit and walla me made his own . Personally I prefer to just use some of my cooling time to do more dry firing or looking at others shooting and spotting grass or flag movements seeing what the wind is doing mostly dry firing .

This looked rather interesting to me but am not creative enough to copy the design my self he used . good luck on which ever product you choose may it work well for you .

Listen all you guys poking fun think your shit dont stink. Someone comes up with a brilliant plan to increase accuracy and consistency, and you Jack wagons want to throw rocks. It's clear you snobs are clueless.
That scope shelter is brilliant as well, what's wrong with wanting to protect your delicate investment?

Now if you will excuse me, I have some primers to weigh.

question please, question...
can you use both at once, asking for a friend