• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If carrying stuff isn't an issue, get an 11" portable battery powered job site fan made by any of the big tool brands. It's quiet & can use it on yourself after cooling the rifle.

I got a chamber chiller that I use when doing load development. I want the barrel warm but not hot and the same general temp for each test and group so, I use that to speed the whole process up a little bit. I also use a cold wet rag on my can , which is by far the hotter of the two of course, so I usually try to cool it down and get it to be about what the barrel is before I shoot a new test group.

I don't use it otherwise.

Reactions: 17Patriot
I got a chamber chiller that I use when doing load development. I want the barrel warm but not hot and the same general temp for each test and group so, I use that to speed the whole process up a little bit. I also use a cold wet rag on my can , which is by far the hotter of the two of course, so I usually try to cool it down and get it to be about what the barrel is before I shoot a new test group.

I don't use it otherwise.

Are you using a laser temp gun to check barrel and silencer temps? Or just going on feeling?

Reactions: 338dude
Are you using a laser temp gun to check barrel and silencer temps? Or just going on feeling?
Just feel and then time intervals between groups. I will shoot a few to warm it up and many times foul it too, then I will do the same time interval between that group and every following group, and cool the suppressor and barrel the same way each time and then just feel both and make sure they are comparable.

Good evening
Haven’t seen too much written about them lately… Curious if you are using one, and what brand you suggest?

Thanks for the input
MagnetoSpeed makes one. Don't know how well it works, but it's only $60 and uses little filters and uses atmospheric air to push through the barrel and suppressor. Seems like a good idea. For that price, I'm considering trying one. I like the fact it uses little filters for the air, so you don't push contaminants down your bore.

Riflekuhl. Damn the noise but it works good and I’ll put up with it if it lets me shoot more

I own two USB chamber chillers and have USB power packs to run them. They cool down my barrels and also act as chamber flags. I would buy again if the ones I had died or were lost/stolen.

The Chamber Chiller moves much more air than the riflekukl and as said not with the annoying whine. I use on all my rifles. I would recommend an outboard battery.

i have one. it's called a second rifle in 223 and a third in 22lr

why stop shooting when you can just grab another rifle and keep blasting

for 1/2 the cost of the barrel chillers when it was 50.00 you can easily get a mattress pump that moves 4 or 5 x's the air cooling your barrel even more efficiently that chamber chiller hell blowing air through a straw is more efficient than those chamber chillers . all on amazon rechargeable and no batteries needed .
61LtAMHzd9S._AC_UL320_.jpg

just need the plastic hose to go from the pump to the chamber .

Rechargeable Air Pump, AGPTEK Electric Air Pump Quick-Fill Inflator & Deflator with 3 Nozzles, Lightweight & Portable Rechargeable Air Pump Perfect for Air Beds, Air Mattresses, Pool Toys & Inflatable​

best of luck with what ever you decide to go with .​

i have one. it's called a second rifle in 223 and a third in 22lr

why stop shooting when you can just grab another rifle and keep blasting
a) Fuck. Yes. This is the 'can do' attitude that goes places! :)
ii) Can you shoot different rifles in a match? I've never heard of anyone doing it other than a rifle going down mid-match, and dude grabs a backup. Do people bring two / shoot two through the course of a regular match?

Reactions: Clob McStrunk
Magnetospeed Riflekuhl Barrel Cooler. Small, lite, easy to carry. Works great. Keep in mind if it is hot outside it’s pushing hot air through the barrel.

• Haha
Magnetospeed - Amazon $65. Cools too hot to touch barrel in 5 minutes in 90 degree heat

• Haha
a) Fuck. Yes. This is the 'can do' attitude that goes places! :)
ii) Can you shoot different rifles in a match? I've never heard of anyone doing it other than a rifle going down mid-match, and dude grabs a backup. Do people bring two / shoot two through the course of a regular match?
nah. but i've never had a barrel stay so hot during a match that by the time i shot the next stage it was still too hot

Not sure which brand I have, but not sure how functional chamber fans really are.

Maybe it's because I'm in AZ, but I don't think they accomplish as much as we like to think. But would love to see actual data that says otherwise.

Reactions: b6graham
Not sure which brand I have, but not sure how functional chamber fans really are.

Maybe it's because I'm in AZ, but I don't think they accomplish as much as we like to think. But would love to see actual data that says otherwise.
I live in FL and can tell you with certainty this will cool a barrel off in roughly half the time during summer (which is like 7 months a year here).

Reactions: spife7980
for 1/2 the cost of the barrel chillers when it was 50.00 you can easily get a mattress pump that moves 4 or 5 x's the air cooling your barrel even more efficiently that chamber chiller hell blowing air through a straw is more efficient than those chamber chillers . all on amazon rechargeable and no batteries needed .

just need the plastic hose to go from the pump to the chamber .

Rechargeable Air Pump, AGPTEK Electric Air Pump Quick-Fill Inflator & Deflator with 3 Nozzles, Lightweight & Portable Rechargeable Air Pump Perfect for Air Beds, Air Mattresses, Pool Toys & Inflatable​

best of luck with what ever you decide to go with .​

I did this exact same thing- cut off the back end of a shitty piece of worn out brass for each caliber w a dremel, cleaned it up, used heat safe tubing- about 6-8" and stuck it in the chamber in the AC of the car on "red hot barrel " breaks on a recent P dog hunt, worked amazing! $30 tops

I never even knew they made barrel coolers! I always take four or fire rifles to shoot, and give each one a chance to cool down for 20-30 minutes before I shoot it again. On really hot days I'd throw a washcloth and a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol in my kit, and use that to cool the barrel, it's better than water but it's harder to get the chamber area cool as easily as the barrel. A little breeze and a splash of alcohol on the washcloth over the barrel can work wonders on a hot day!

I use this one between strings of fire during competition, and at the range to cool down quickly when I'm done shooting. Cuts cool-down time in half when I'm shooting suppressed, and lets me remove the suppressor more quickly so that I can use it on other rifles. Works great - no issues - had to cut down the length of the "pipe" to fit in all of my rifles, but that's no big deal.

I use Riflekuhls + multiple rifles for hot days. Bring extra CR123 batteries. Rechargeables work, but last about 60% of the disposables.

I replace batteries when the airflow is 50% of a full battery. I use the semi used batteries on my non tactical flashlights that use CR123s.

annoys some people with the whine (I take the little round paper filter off the back for a bit more airflow)

but it's a LOT faster than ambient cooling

not everyone can be at the range for 4+ hours at a time

I built mine out of something like this a few years ago. (Thanks to acudaowner for the pic)

Not rechargeable, no plug-ins, uses 4 D batteries. Has chamber adapters for .338LM, .308 and 6.5 Grendel. I have never used it. If anyone wants, and would use it, I'll send it to you. Stipulation is, when you get it put something neat from your area back into the box and send it to me.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Reactions: Savageboy
Not quite sure what the point is of cooling fans ,aside possibly at load development stage

Warm barrels last longer than cold barrels something proven many times over in military rifle testing where barrels lasted longer in intensive test cycles than later in sedate service use due to frequent cold to warm cycling in comparison to a significantly lower number of cold to hot cycles in testing.

In bolt actions short of frequent multiple consecutive mag dumps you are not getting the barrels hot enough to matter in terms of wear and the shitty fans cooling a tiny bore surface are marginally effective at best, if you are afraid of hot barrels use a Chrome molly barrel instead of SS will cool much faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonsza1
In bolt actions short of frequent multiple consecutive mag dumps you are not getting the barrels hot enough to matter in terms of wear and the shitty fans cooling a tiny bore surface are marginally effective at best, if you are afraid of hot barrels use a Chrome molly barrel instead of SS will cool much faster.
So I can shoot 30 rounds/3 mags at a leisurely pace at a time without burning out the throat of my barrel?

I always figured that air moving down the barrel being replaced constantly was much preferable to the air sitting still in the barrel. At least in terms of heat exchange from the inside.

My suppressors cools down MUCH faster using a fan as well.

So I can shoot 30 rounds/3 mags at a leisurely pace at a time without burning out the throat of my barrel?

I always figured that air moving down the barrel being replaced constantly was much preferable to the air sitting still in the barrel. At least in terms of heat exchange from the inside.

My suppressors cools down MUCH faster using a fan as well.
yes as the most damage is down to fire cracking, erosion is just a secondary mechanism and fire cracking is more severe in cold to hot vs hot to hot barrel state and you are nowhere close to hot with leisurely 30 rounds unless it's some super hot magnum

Last edited:
yes as the most damage is down to fire cracking, erosion is just a secondary mechanism and fire cracking is more severe in cold to hot vs hot to hot barrel state and you are nowhere close to hot with leisurely 30 rounds unless it's some super hot magnum
Rest of the Hide please confirm this cause I've wasted way too much range time waiting on my gun to cool otherwise.

I've watched some new shooters literally go through 100 rounds in half an hour before. Honestly, I was kinda jealous.

I've never heard of the whole "cold-to-hot is more harmful" thing, but it's an interesting thought, I always let my barrels cool to ambient temp before shooting another 10 rounds through them.

I quit using alcohol on my barrels years ago, my tolerance for heat isn't what it used to be, and I generally only shoot in moderate temperatures, most of my interest is in finding the best (most accurate) load for each gun, trying new powders and bullets in the Eternal Quest for great groups.

As for what moves air better, I always figured putting a rifle in the rack with the action open and the barrel pointing skyward was as good as anything, I assume the heat of the barrel sucks a little air into the action, then up and out. Thankfully, most of our shooting points are covered, and the guns aren't sitting in the sun and staying hot.

Couldn't find the whole article just a summary, in any case, its something that was researched in Switzerland in regards to Sig assault rifle barrels
Swiss SIG (Schweizerische Industriegesellschaft)is not = as Sig Sauer US whose claim to fame is that it makes absolute crap and semi-finished products that need to go through at least one or two product recalls before its actually a market ready product

Hans-Peter Sigg is a renowned gunsmith and toolmaker involved not only in small arms but the development of autocannons and projectiles for them,In any case guy actually made a series of thermally insulated chassis where barrels were sealed inside a carbon fiber sleeve alltough that was meant for the slow fire of ISST type shooting

In any case, bore cooling fans are BS, their best utility is annoying the competition with their noise

Machine translation
On the wear mechanics of firearm barrels

Assault Rifle Experience
After an assault rifle has been constructed, development work follows. The test weapons are checked for the regulations laid down in the specifications. If, for example, the specified goal is not achieved in a sand or mud test, the results are analyzed and changes are made to the design. This process is repeated until the result meets the specifications. Today, most of these regulations correspond to the standards specified in the MIL-STD tests. The regulations or requirements for single-shot accuracy and barrel life vary from country to country. So are e.g. the precision requirements in Switzerland for the Stgw.90 . During continuous firing, as is carried out in the above tests, a certain number of magazines per rifle are also tested for their durability and function. The shot rhythm, the type of cooling and the precision (scatter) after a specified number of shots of a specific ammunition are prescribed. As an example: The contents of five magazines, each with 20 rounds (= 100 rounds) are fired in 70 to 80 seconds. That's about 1.5 to 2 shots per second. While the five magazines are being refilled, the assault rifle stands upright over the entire length of the barrel and with the breech open to cool down in a container filled with water. After that, the assault rifle is blown out with compressed air and the firing continues until 8000 rounds of ammunition have been fired. Once it has cooled down and been cleaned, the assault rifle is then tested for precision.

If the barrel material, manufacturing process, thermal treatment, ammunition and firing rhythm remain unchanged in repeated test series, the result is largely the same. The question then arises as to why when used in shooting exercises - in contrast to the endurance test - the barrel of the rifle no longer meets the precision requirements much earlier and with a significantly lower round count and are burned out in the bullet bearing area, even though it was never really "hot". The barrel should have to be able to withstand significantly more than 8000 rounds of ammunition if it were shot "gently" and hardly got warm! To solve this problem, various possible solutions have so far been advertised, e.g. with a chimney effect in the forearm area, with ventilation slits, with enlargement the barrel surface with longitudinal grooves or with radial cooling ribs for better cooling of the barrel. A lot of money was invested in order to get to the bottom of the processes of wear and tear (and for cost reasons not by gun factories that exclusively produce firearms).

The secret was revealed with a scanning electron microscope, which can display magnifications down to the nanometer range (1 nanometer = 1 billionth of a meter). smooth. With the first shot – usually an overpressure shot (European CIP tests)with >6000 bar pressure – gas at around 3500°C is pressed into the micro-surface of the throat barrel area. The steel in this surface area expands and compresses

The rapid cooling of the barrel then cracks the microsurface. However, there is also a hardness structure with changes in volume and tension builds up, which in turn contributes to the crack mechanics. A lattice crack pattern is created, very similar to the lattice pattern of a reticulated giraffe. The second shot now impacts a surface that is open due to these microcracks. The surface is therefore different for the second and subsequent shots than before the very first. The cracks close again when the surface is heated again during the second shot, but only through the expansion of the material after the heat has already penetrated. During the subsequent cooling, the cracks open again

The barrel material at the edges of the tear heats up more easily and quickly than in the small, closed areas and burns off more intensely. If the inner surface of the barrel cooled less and more slowly, the cracks would be narrower or remain almost closed. And here lies the solution to the riddle! Barrels will be shot out faster if only one shot is fired every few minutes. The cooler the barrel when the shot is fired, the more it damages it. The reverse conclusion would be that the service life of the barrel is longer, the warmer it is when the shot is fired. However, this only applies up to the temperature at which the strength of the barrel steel can be maintained. If, for example, an assault rifle or machine gun is continuously fired, this limit is quickly exceeded and wear and tear increases rapidly.
In the case of sporting repeating rifles, on the other hand, this temperature limit is not reached and therefore cannot be exceeded. On the contrary. In the case of rifles designed to fire slowly, the barrel should remain as warm as possible. Insulation that prevents rapid cooling would prolong the life of the barrels

The crack pattern created on the very first shot remains the same throughout the life of the barrel. But the edges are becoming more and more rounded and the cracks are getting deeper and wider. These cracks and crack patterns are already clearly visible with a barrel endoscope after about 1000 shots (see picture). The consequence of this is that the barrel burns out where the gas pressure and temperature are highest and where the gas turbulence is greatest, or to put it another way: where the temperature difference between gas and barrel temperature is greatest!

Heat distribution in the barrel. Especially with rifles with wooden forends, after a few shots, heat builds up between the stock and the barrel. Thermal imaging cameras were able to uncover this deficiency
Aluminum stocks around the barrel are thermally better than wooden stocks, but the warming of the barrel can produce a chimney effect when shooting, which on the one hand unnecessarily cools the barrel and on the other hand can cause tension on the barrel circumference due to the ventilation (heat differences).
Not only does this damage the barrel when shooting in low outside temperatures, but it also becomes noticeably tense if the barrel is touched with a finger of the hand holding the fore-end, which happens every now and then. Changes in the point of impact could be observed immediately. On the other hand, when shooting at temperatures above 30°C, the barrel is no longer thermally affected when you touch it with your finger. ( think they meant slight contact sling shooters could make) ...........

df.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Franko and max1840
Couldn't find the whole article just a summary, in any case, its something that was researched in Switzerland in regards to Sig assault rifle barrels
Swiss SIG (Schweizerische Industriegesellschaft)is not = as Sig Sauer US whose claim to fame is that it makes absolute crap and semi-finished products that need to go through at least one or two product recalls before its actually a market ready product

Hans-Peter Sigg is a renowned gunsmith and toolmaker involved not only in small arms but the development of autocannons and projectiles for them,In any case guy actually made a series of thermally insulated chassis where barrels were sealed inside a carbon fiber sleeve all tough that was meant for the slow fire of ISST type shooting.

In any case, bore cooling fans are BS, their best utility is making the competition annoyed with the noise

Machine translation
On the wear mechanics of firearm barrels

Assault Rifle Experience
After an assault rifle has been constructed, development work follows. The test weapons are checked for the regulations laid down in the specifications. If, for example, the specified goal is not achieved in a sand or mud test, the results are analyzed and changes are made to the design. This process is repeated until the result meets the specifications. Today, most of these regulations correspond to the standards specified in the MIL-STD tests. The regulations or requirements for single-shot accuracy and barrel life vary from country to country. So are e.g. the precision requirements in Switzerland for the Stgw.90 . During continuous firing, as is carried out in the above tests, a certain number of magazines per rifle are also tested for their durability and function. The shot rhythm, the type of cooling and the precision (scatter) after a specified number of shots of a specific ammunition are prescribed. As an example: The contents of five magazines, each with 20 rounds (= 100 rounds) are fired in 70 to 80 seconds. That's about 1.5 to 2 shots per second. While the five magazines are being refilled, the assault rifle stands upright over the entire length of the barrel and with the breech open to cool down in a container filled with water. After that, the assault rifle is blown out with compressed air and the firing continues until 8000 rounds of ammunition have been fired. Once it has cooled down and been cleaned, the assault rifle is then tested for precision.

If the barrel material, manufacturing process, thermal treatment, ammunition and firing rhythm remain unchanged in repeated test series, the result is largely the same. The question then arises as to why when used in shooting exercises - in contrast to the endurance test - the barrel of the rifle no longer meets the precision requirements much earlier and with a significantly lower round count and are burned out in the bullet bearing area, even though it was never really "hot". The barrel should have to be able to withstand significantly more than 8000 rounds of ammunition if it were shot "gently" and hardly got warm! To solve this problem, various possible solutions have so far been advertised, e.g. with a chimney effect in the forearm area, with ventilation slits, with enlargement the barrel surface with longitudinal grooves or with radial cooling ribs for better cooling of the barrel. A lot of money was invested in order to get to the bottom of the processes of wear and tear (and for cost reasons not by gun factories that exclusively produce firearms).

The secret was revealed with a scanning electron microscope, which can display magnifications down to the nanometer range (1 nanometer = 1 billionth of a meter). smooth. With the first shot – usually an overpressure shot (European CIP tests)with >6000 bar pressure – gas at around 3500°C is pressed into the micro-surface of the throat barrel area. The steel in this surface area expands and compresses

The rapid cooling of the barrel then cracks the microsurface. However, there is also a hardness structure with changes in volume and tension builds up, which in turn contributes to the crack mechanics. A lattice crack pattern is created, very similar to the lattice pattern of a reticulated giraffe. The second shot now impacts a surface that is open due to these microcracks. The surface is therefore different for the second and subsequent shots than before the very first. The cracks close again when the surface is heated again during the second shot, but only through the expansion of the material after the heat has already penetrated. During the subsequent cooling, the cracks open again

The barrel material at the edges of the tear heats up more easily and quickly than in the small, closed areas and burns off more intensely. If the inner surface of the barrel cooled less and more slowly, the cracks would be narrower or remain almost closed. And here lies the solution to the riddle! Barrels will be shot out faster if only one shot is fired every few minutes. The cooler the barrel when the shot is fired, the more it damages it. The reverse conclusion would be that the service life of the barrel is longer, the warmer it is when the shot is fired. However, this only applies up to the temperature at which the strength of the barrel steel can be maintained. If, for example, an assault rifle or machine gun is continuously fired, this limit is quickly exceeded and wear and tear increases rapidly.
In the case of sporting repeating rifles, on the other hand, this temperature limit is not reached and therefore cannot be exceeded. On the contrary. In the case of rifles designed to fire slowly, the barrel should remain as warm as possible. Insulation that prevents rapid cooling would do prolong the life of the barrels

The crack pattern created on the very first shot remains the same throughout the life of the barrel. But the edges are becoming more and more rounded and the cracks are getting deeper and wider. These cracks and crack patterns are already clearly visible with a barrel endoscope after about 1000 shots (see picture). The consequence of this is that the barrel burns out where the gas pressure and temperature are highest and where the gas turbulence is greatest, or to put it another way: where the temperature difference between gas and barrel temperature is greatest!

Heat distribution in the barrel. Especially with rifles with wooden forends, after a few shots, heat builds up between the stock and the barrel. Thermal imaging cameras were able to uncover this deficiency
Aluminum stocks around the barrel are thermally better than wooden stocks, but the warming of the barrel can produce a chimney effect when shooting, which on the one hand unnecessarily cools the barrel and on the other hand can cause tension on the barrel circumference due to the ventilation (heat differences).
Not only does this damage the barrel when shooting in low outside temperatures, but it also becomes noticeably tense if the barrel is touched with a finger of the hand holding the fore-end, which happens every now and then. Changes in the point of impact could be observed immediately. On the other hand, when shooting at temperatures above 30°C, the barrel is no longer thermally affected when you touch it with your finger. ( think they meant slight contact sling shooters could make) ...........
Interesting. Contrary to popular opinion.

How does this compare with the experiences of people that shoot their barrels hot often like prairie dog hunters?

There are bunch of factors at play but ultimately
Pressure is more damaging than heat from cadence, so high pressure loads vs rate of fire.Folks shot out their barrels with hot( high pressure loads) -> f-class shooters that fire barely 12 rds in a string , sigle feeding the rounds in 20min sesions .

But end of the day bore colling fans suck and do jack shit for your barrel.

Last edited:
MagnetoSpeed makes one. Don't know how well it works, but it's only $60 and uses little filters and uses atmospheric air to push through the barrel and suppressor. Seems like a good idea. For that price, I'm considering trying one. I like the fact it uses little filters for the air, so you don't push contaminants down your bore.
I can't see the logic there. What are these dangerous contaminants that you are safely breathing which could damage the barrel? These airborne traces of a vile corrosive which are going to be heated by friction of the bullet then immolated by an explosion and ejected out the barrel when the next round fires.

Are you operating in some mercury vapor environment?

Mean while those filters reduce the airflow of an already dubious aid.

At one point I was going to get one of these, but after reading reviews I decided not to. They just can't push enough through the bore to matter IMHO.

What I did get for one AR, and consider a useful device is a JP thermal dissapator with its radiator fins. Quicker cooling off the larger external surface instead of from the smaller internal surface.

(below)

Last edited:
Reactions: Twinsen
The contents of five magazines, each with 20 rounds (= 100 rounds) are fired in 70 to 80 seconds. That's about 1.5 to 2 shots per second. While the five magazines are being refilled, the assault rifle stands upright over the entire length of the barrel and with the breech open to cool down in a container filled with water. After that, the assault rifle is blown out with compressed air and the firing continues until 8000 rounds of ammunition have been fired. Once it has cooled down and been cleaned, the assault rifle is then tested

OK. So as I understand it, they:

Fire 5 mags (100 rounds) quickly heating up the barrel.
Put the rifle in water upside down submerging the entire barrel rapidly cooling it down.
Blow it clear.

Repeat this cycle 79 more times.

And they see damage!

inconceivable.jpeg

After 80 rapid forced heating and cooling cycles. (mention of cleaning removed, I misread that, only a final cleaning pre inspection).

There is steam rising and sizzling sounds as they subject the barrel to this regime each time they cool it. It's almost a mild tempering process.

Does anyone really think they aren't damaging the barrel by this process?

Last edited:
Ahhh yes… Things that move cooler ambient air through a hot bore and suppressor in an attempt to cool them down are stupid because of the “air filters”… But something that holds excess heat inside your handguard, adding another barrier layer for the heat to dissipate through, under the “modern” ultra-high tech guise of “cooling fins”, should definitely do the trick nicely… 🤣🤦🏼
The amount of heat is the same as before. Except now there is more surface area exposed to air for it to interact with and speed up cooling. It's how all radiators work, by adding extra surface for the hot metal to interact with more air to speed up cooling.

You might want to try understanding the thermodynamic process. It's been around for a lot longer than you.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
those filters were suposedly meant to keep out dust nothing else.
OK. So as I understand it, they:

Fire 5 mags (100 rounds) quickly heating up the barrel.
Put the rifle in water upside down submerging the entire barrel rapidly cooling it down.
Blow it clear.

Repeat this cycle 79 more times.

And they see damage!

View attachment 7924909

After 80 rapid forced heating and cooling cycles. (mention of cleaning removed, I misread that, only a final cleaning pre inspection).

There is steam rising and sizzling sounds as they subject the barrel to this regime each time they cool it. It's almost a mild tempering process.

Does anyone really think they aren't damaging the barrel by this process?

I think you missed the part where he said that rifles in regular service that never see this kind of abuse have their barrels go south at lower round counts than those being subjected to these 'torture' tests. And this was some 30+y ago when swiss trialed STGW90

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCarter17
The amount of heat is the same as before. Except now there is more surface area exposed to air for it to interact with and speed up cooling. It's how all radiators work, by adding extra surface for the hot metal to interact with more air to speed up cooling.

You might want to try understanding the thermodynamic process. It's been around for a lot longer than you.

So you are saying the little fan doesn't work....yet you are saying exposing more surface area to ambient temp air does work.....

So what if I told you there was a way to expose the same surface area, to more ambient temp air? Kind of the same thing isn't it? The issue is the air inside the barrel gets heated up, if it stays stagnant, then there is little cooling coming from inside the barrel, only outside convection cooling. Yes, adding surface area to the outside of the barrel does help.

The issue is the Delta T (Difference in Temp) on the outside surface of the barrel and ambient air temp is smaller than the bore. The bore is significantly hotter than the outside of the barrel. So even a small amount of air moving through the bore has a higher energy transfer due to higher Delta T (difference between Ambient air temp and temp of the material) which aides in more effective cooling.

If you put the fan on the bore, you can feel the heat being pushed out of the bore. It is helping for sure and does significantly reduce cool down time. I use it mostly due to mirage from the barrel/suppressor which I can't believe no one mentioned yet. On a hot day, after a few shots, I can't take more than 1 shot every 30 seconds or I can't hardly see anything through the mirage. It also helps so that I don't have any issues with burning my case or seats in the truck.

Don't have one yet but definitely want one for my integral so I don't have to wait as long for it to cool down before I can put the gun in the case without worrying about melting the inside of the case. Looked for a case with some kind of fireproof material on the inside but could not find one.

Ahhh yes… Things that move cooler ambient air through a hot bore and suppressor in an attempt to cool them down are stupid because of the “air filters”… But something that holds excess heat inside your handguard, adding another barrier layer for the heat to dissipate through, under the “modern” ultra-high tech guise of “cooling fins”, should definitely do the trick nicely… 🤣🤦🏼
To be fair, this is the same concept used by the tech industry to cool chips, processors, etc.

That being said, I know nothing. Call me old school, but I'm gonna +1 the concept of bringing another rifle to shoot while the barrel cools. Time cools barrels and fun reduces time.