• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel cooling device ?

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
any one know of any that work? several little fans on market pushing ambient air thru the bore . had 1 and it was useless. pushing ambient air (95+ here in summer) is pretty much a non starter. any other devices on the market or knowledge about making one?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

1646279944521.jpeg

The Riflekuhl does work but is delicate, sounds annoying as F and chews through a battery quickly. Additionally the magnet will wipe the compass calibration on a Kestrel if it gets anywhere near it.

Someone else (here I think, may have been accurateshooter though...) made one from a rechargeable air mattress pump and vinyl tubing.

They also cut the base off a piece of brass for the specific rifle(s) and used it as a form fitting nozzle, not really needed IMO, a good fit on the tubing to the chamber is enough.

Water works, run a patch after for the quickest cool down.

But I use a large camping fan and make sure to stand the rifle up, helps cool it faster

61LtAMHzd9S._AC_UL320_.jpg

17.99 + shipping on amazon .
one of these pumps with a smaller hose to put inside the chamber is great we also have one of those chamber chillers but the air pump puts out 100x's more air it's not quiet but it works and is cheaper than the chamber chiller at almost 40.00 or more ( items related to shooting they jack up the price ) it can charge in your car if need be but holds enough of a charge that's lasted us two trips to the range .

I made one.
Printed this:
Bought this:

and

Works OK for the $15 I have in each of them.

Put the rifle in the shade, pointed to the sky. Spend the annoying fan money on ammo.

Reactions: Speed
The Riflekuhl does work but is delicate, sounds annoying as F and chews through a battery quickly. Additionally the magnet will wipe the compass calibration on a Kestrel if it gets anywhere near it.

Someone else (here I think, may have been accurateshooter though...) made one from a rechargeable air mattress pump and vinyl tubing.

They also cut the base off a piece of brass for the specific rifle(s) and used it as a form fitting nozzle, not really needed IMO, a good fit on the tubing to the chamber is enough.

Reactions: 6.5SH
any one know of any that work? several little fans on market pushing ambient air thru the bore . had 1 and it was useless. pushing ambient air (95+ here in summer) is pretty much a non starter. any other devices on the market or knowledge about making one?
If the air’s 95 and let’s say your barrel is 200 it’ll still cool through convection. It probably just didn’t move enough air so it was slower. That’s why a fan feels cool, but a blast from a high pressure air hose feels cold.

Get a small air tank and rig up a long soft nozzle and blast the heat out. Seems like a good excuse for a small onboard compressor mounted under your vehicle.