• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing barrel crown after fluting?

biscuit75camaro

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Texas
Ok im a machinist not a gunsmith...yet. the shop i work in took a barrel and bolt fluting job ok now when our cnc guy cut the barrel flutes he did it with a center in the end of the bore do yall think we need to re crown this barrel? I didnt know he was going to do it like that or i would have said something to him thanks

Re: barrel crown after fluting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would too. </div></div>

Same here.

It absolutely should be recrowned.

Its a <span style="font-weight: bold">must</span> after a steel center touches a crown. Let alone when that type of pressure is applied.

I wont even put nylon barrel spinner center in a finished crown.

Well...after he expanded the bore by fluting, a little constriction at muzzle might help. (just kidding)

well obviously the guy thinks im too young to know shit about rifles or machine work. he didnt heed my advice to re crown it so i hope he gets 10" groups out of it lol. if it doesnt shoot i guess ill get to say i told you so. this guy takes stock rem 700s has us spiral flute the bolt, flute the spaghetti noodle sporter barrel, puts it in a b&c stock and calls it a custom built rifle..... then what really irks me is he calls himself a gunsmith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well obviously the guy thinks im too young to know shit about rifles or machine work. he didnt heed my advice to re crown it so i hope he gets 10" groups out of it lol. if it doesnt shoot i guess ill get to say i told you so. this guy takes stock rem 700s has us spiral flute the bolt, flute the spaghetti noodle sporter barrel, puts it in a b&c stock and calls it a custom built rifle..... then what really irks me is he calls himself a gunsmith. </div></div>

if you are hoping he fails or hoping for an "i told yo so" moment, honestly, you <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> be too young. if you can articulate how there is a better way to do what he is doing with the potential to net a better result, you may be on to something.

the last thing the bullet sees is the muzzle. most centers are far harder than the barrel steel. the taper of most centers are not going to exactly match the crown taper (if there is one). this will put all the force on the lands of the rifling. i would find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a slight amount of deformation at the crown if you use enough force to hold the barrel during a fluting op. if you are looking for the best accuracy, do you really want a bullet leaving a less than perfect muzzle at 200,000 rpm?

he very well may be getting the results he and his customers are after. does that make it the best way to do it? for him, maybe. for me, i don't feel it is.

Definitely re-crown.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> flute the spaghetti noodle sporter barrel, </div></div>

Just out of curiosity, what do think the wall thickness to the bottom of the flutes was?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well he only fluted about .035" deep so i would guess .230" wall </div></div>

Just checking, .230 will be safe.