• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Decision

Apex360

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Well...I'm here contracting in Afghanistan indefinitely. Figured I might as well start ordering parts for my custom rifle. Thought I'd start with a barrel blank and go from there.

I want to have a custom rifle built. Chambered in 308. Good place to start learning. I want eventually shoot a tactical long range match with it. I'm either going to get a stiller or defiance action, not entirely sure yet.

What do you guys think, between Krieger or Bartlein for my barrel blank?

Thanks,

Have and like both ( although mine are .22 caliber ). Either will serve you sell. Availability sometimes is the final determiner.

I would simply base my decision on who has what available. I have seen no measurable difference between Bartlein, Brux, and Krieger. Ive had all 3 show less than .030" runout at the muzzle with the breech dialed in, and Ive had all 3 show over .100" runout. Guess what, every single one shot as good as you can expect a barrel to perform. If I had to have two favorites though it would be Brux and Bartlein, they machine excellent, and always shoot.

I have a Bartlein barrel in .308 that came with my GA Precision Hospitaller. I am VERY impressed with this barrel. My first shot cold bore and my first shot clean bore have absolutely no change in point of impact. The barrel cleans very easily and I have noticed an increase in velocity over my Remington 700P barrel I was shooting out of before, despite the Remington barrel being a 26 inch and my Bartlein is a 24 inch. Hope this info is helpful.

Don't forget about Schneider Barrels. He does have the Marine Corps contract and many Federal agencies, not to mention David Tubb who has set many world records and the list goes on and on. Plus we all know that all the other branches of service hate to see the Marine Corps Shooting Team come to town. To be honest I didn't know there was another barrel manufacturer out there besides Schneider Barrels. When we tested his barrels at Quantico we shot 14,000 rounds thru his barrel and it still shot sub moa. The rest that were tested petered out between 3-7 thousand rounds and shot about Minute of Buffalo. Although pusher591 is right, it does have a lot to do with the chamber and crown. Buy you a Schneider 1-11 twist 5P USMC taper for 355.00 shipped and call it done. You wont regret it. Just ask any Marine Sniper.

All good barrels above. Krieger were running a nice price of their 5Rs.
I am happy with Kriger and lothar LW50 barrels.
Bartlein, Hart, Rock, Schneider also very well known and hallmark of quality.

Look for season deals or toss a coin.

Stay safe in those lands.

I agree with above, find the most easy to obtain. Both make outstanding barrels. Just FYI, if you go the Kreiger route please order their 5R. I've also had a lot of good fortune with Broughton 5C, Obermeyer 5R, and Hart.

All the best.

Thanks for all the help. I'll have to look into Schneider. I've actually never heard of them.

All good barrels above. Krieger were running a nice price of their 5Rs.
I am happy with Kriger and lothar LW50 barrels.
Bartlein, Hart, Rock, Schneider also very well known and hallmark of quality.

Look for season deals or toss a coin.

Stay safe in those lands.

Thanks. I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Any of them, it matters more on who chambers and crowns it.

Yes, that is definitely something I'll have to look into in the future. Want someone who is second to none and will build me a one of a kind shooter. Want him to be a little creative with his own touch. Who is a one stop shop that can do semi-aggressive spiral flutes on bolt and barrel. First custom build, but I want all the bells and whistles.

Another Barrel Maker that's often overlooked yet builds great barrels is Benchmark. I recently rebarreled my .308 with one and couldn't be happier with it's performance. Yesterday I shot for hours making nice small groups while the shooter next me was swearing over his new Kreiger. Even had a bore-scope with him and you could see how rough the bore/lands were from the rifling "hook". He had a MAJOR copper fouling problem, enough so that it was killing his accuracy.

Benchmark's are button cut and double hand lapped.

Just another barrel to consider.

Don't forget about Schneider Barrels. He does have the Marine Corps contract and many Federal agencies, not to mention David Tubb who has set many world records and the list goes on and on. Plus we all know that all the other branches of service hate to see the Marine Corps Shooting Team come to town. To be honest I didn't know there was another barrel manufacturer out there besides Schneider Barrels. When we tested his barrels at Quantico we shot 14,000 rounds thru his barrel and it still shot sub moa. The rest that were tested petered out between 3-7 thousand rounds and shot about Minute of Buffalo. Although pusher591 is right, it does have a lot to do with the chamber and crown. Buy you a Schneider 1-11 twist 5P USMC taper for 355.00 shipped and call it done. You wont regret it. Just ask any Marine Sniper.

Is the USMC using the 5P rifling profile or conventional rifling?

Conventional rifling..... Once a rifle has been given a name/NSN/model number and you change one thing then it has to be re named and the build procedures get re written or modified and all this takes an act of congress. That's why they are up to the (M40A594564534121XYZ-Charlie) or something crazy now. That's why they are still using the conventional rifling. Nothing wrong with conventional rifling. 5P Barrels requires less work, reduces vibration, chamber psi, fowling, less pressure on the bullet due to odd number lands and grooves compared to the USMC 6 land and groove conventional barrel having a land directly across from each other, you will see an increase in velocity due to these factors. With an increase in velocity the scopes elevation turret won't match the trajectory of the issue sniper ammunition. This would not be cost effective in the long run. Sounds crazy but its true. If they would change to Gary's 5P they will never go back to conventional rifling. This will stir the pot a little with the ones that need to do barrel break ins. With the 5P I have never had to shoot X amount of ammo, stop, wait, clean, repeat steps 1, 2, 3 drink some coffee etc. etc. We didn't do that mess with Conventional barrels either. We just shot 50 rounds thru them and cleaned them good the next day. If a 175 gr bullet at 2600 FPS shot thru the barrel over and over again year after year wont ruin a barrel then a plastic coated rod and bore brush traveling at 2 feet per second wont either. Buy a 5P and save the ammo from (Barrel Break In) for shooting targets/ deer/ coyotes and such. Sorry about the long answer, I chased a rabbit there for a minute. P is for polygon so the lands don't have any 90 degree shoulders.

There is a guy on here MTAR15 selling many barrels right now for $300 shipped. If he has one that suits you I'd move on it. I grabbed a Bartlein.

I have both, and can't say one is good while the other is great - they're both better than I am, I suspect. Last purchase was Bartlein, simply because I wanted it then and Grizzly had them in stock.

John

I think I'm going to go with Bartlein. Don't mind the 6-8month lead time. Not sure what contour to get. Between MTU and m40 contour. Would you guys recommend 5R or standard 4 groove rifling? What about a twist rate? I wanting a shorter barrel somewhere between 20" and 22".

I just ordered a 30 cal m24 5r from bugholes, he has a lot of options in stock. Twist will depend on what you're going to shoot.

My previous two builds had a Lilja and a PAC-Nor, excellent accuracy, great customer service and reasonable wait time. My future build is going to have a Bartlein I picked up from Southern Precision, less than a week wait time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quality of premium barrels is a relatively level playing field, the consistency and service may not always be. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but you need to consider how the manufacturer will handle an issue with the barrel if you were to have one. Some fix problems with no questions asked, some will drive you crazy enough that you won't want to even send the barrel back to them because its a dead end street Your soliciting a Ford versus Chevy debate and we all know how these things go. Bottom line is, both Krieger and Bartlein make outstanding barrels, either would serve you well.
On a side note, if you are out of the country "indefinitely", Chances of you ordering a barrel, receiving the barrel, and it being exactly what you want when you get back to the states is less than 50%. Realize that you will likely change your mind on contour caliber or other element before the barrel is put into a lathe. There are places that have a good selection of premium components in stock, you could order what you wanted and have it at your gunsmiths
shop in short time, when you know your contract is up and you were coming back home
Trust me, guys change their minds when they're made to wait a long time during the rifle building process

I think I'm going to go with Bartlein. Don't mind the 6-8month lead time. Not sure what contour to get. Between MTU and m40 contour. Would you guys recommend 5R or standard 4 groove rifling? What about a twist rate? I wanting a shorter barrel somewhere between 20" and 22".

Go with an odd number of lands like the 5-R. Far less bullet distortion and faster speeds possible with same powder charges. Different barrel makers use different suffixes to the 5-x. Some are 5-R, some 5-P, and another is 5-C. All pretty much the same with no sharp angles where the rifling meets the groove diameter. Easier to clean too.

Some competitors are even going to 3 land/groove configurations, again to reduce bullet distortion.