• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Flex Question

CommAV8OR

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
Nanticoke, PA, USA
My membership to Snipershide has been very educational. Maybe too educational. Since I've been a member, I've been noticing more gun behaviors than I ever considered before. Shooters, well, we are all human.
Anyway...my observation and question:
I was at the (public) range today and after my shooting was done, two other guys showed up and were paying respect to my stick before I put it in the bag.
We got to talking and person 1 was talking about the next rifle he wants to buy. (338 lapua if it matters)
Anyway, he brought out his savage (I didn't ask the model) 7mm mag. It wasn't custom or anything that hide members are used to, but I haven't seen a magnum shot in a while so I decided to stick around to see how he did.
My observation...
I have good eyesight, but is it normal to actually see barrel flex during and after the shot?
I understand if it is high speed photography but this was massive flex observable to my naked eye!
It was a normal contour barrel sporting rifle and after the overpressure of the shot, his barrel looked like a rubber band! I shit you not, I saw the muzzle flex at least twice in less than a second after each shot. The shooter remained stationary (I verified with shots 2 and 3) so I know it was not him moving the gun itself.
I only watched 3 shots to be sure of what I was seeing, then I got the hell out of there because I was worried his gun was going to explode.
Question(s)...
Is this a normal observation of "magnum" rifles? Is it based on size and contour of the barrel?
I would ask if I was seeing "things" but I know what I saw. Metalurgists and gunsmiths...speak!

Re: Barrel Flex Question

A barrel definitely moves when the rifle is fired... But to be able to see it? That's a new one on me! I would have beat feet too!

Honestly Brian,
I can't say...I didn't stay to see the target. I've never seen anything like that before and I hope I never do again! Very un-nerving. That's all for now. Talk to you guys later.

I have no doubt you "saw" flex but I doubt there was actual visable flex. There could be if it was an ultra thin bbl.

A test of what I believe you saw... Take a pencile and hold it by the end...now move it quickly up and down. See how it went from a ridgid object to looking like a piece of rubber.

Since your eye can only focus on one point and the object is moving in 2 or 3 planes it appears to flex.

Take youre phone or digital camera to the range from now on. If you see the guy again, video it. Most likely you'll find your eyes are playing tricks on you.

I had a 5r in 308 that did this every shot. I finally sent it back to remington when it wouldn't shoot anode after 1300 rounds. They replaced the barreled action with a new one. They said it had damaged miscut rifling. The damned thing looked like a spring door stopper. Remington never commented on the spring like barrel factor.

seanh...Great idea and it's registered for if I see it again. On a side note, the barrel did seem very thin for the amount of pressure that a magnum cartridge would generate.
Tango...Thank you for telling me I'm not nuts (figuratively)

I have actually observed this as well. It is visible on a friends f class rig. Heavy 28" fluted Hart barrel in .223 on a 40x action.

I may be living a sheltered life, but I've never seen such things.

Greg