• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Fluting Cuts

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
Hey Guys,

I bit the bullet and picked up a new barrel. I need to have this barrel fluted but need to tell the gunsmith what type of cut, how deep to cut and show him what that cut looks like. This way, we are both on the same sheet of music.

The type of fluting I'm looking for will cut <span style="font-weight: bold">DEEP</span> flutes as this new barrel is a straight cylinder. I wanted to send this to a custom fluting shop but they all seem to be hammered with work. And I'm in no position to wait months as I am moving soon.

So, I need any photos, technical specs and descriptions of deep cut flutes to pass along. Also, if you know someone who has a good track record of cutting deep flutes and has a quick turn around time, I'd appreciate their contact information.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Barrel Fluting Cuts

My smith trusts these guys, and a lot of other smiths on here send customers to this guy as well. I've also seen a lot of his work here on the hide and it all looks outstanding. I wouldn't hesitate to give him a call.

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/

Ranger - it is better to go with shallow fluting and more flutes than very deep fluting that will disrupt the barrel metal and potentially cause accuracy issues.

Shadow - thanks for posting the link to Kampfeld - looks like he does nice work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My smith trusts these guys, and a lot of other smiths on here send customers to this guy as well. http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/ </div></div>

If I need a barrel fluted and it didnt come fluted from the manufacturer this is who I use.