• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel for LR-308 style rifle

firestorm1284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey gents, I'm building up a rifle in .308. It's being built on a POF upper/lower/rail. I had previously ordered a .260 Rem barrel from Black Hole Weaponry, but after multiple times calling them, and usually without anyone answering - I got nervous. I finally got a hold of someone, and canceled my order - it was still 6 weeks out. Now I've decided to just stick with .308, and I'm trying to decide who to buy my barrel from. The intent is for target shooting, and the budget is $325 or less. I have narrowed it down to:

-Criterion (sold by Fulton Armory) - $280

-Rainier Select - $280

-Red X Arms stainless Fluted - $225

-AR15Depot stainless fluted - $265

Does anyone know anything about the Red X or AR15 Depot barrels? I contacted both companies. Both do in house chambering, crowning and fluting. The Red X barrels are made from Mossberg blanks, which initially turned me off until I found out that Delton uses Mossberg blanks as well. The AR15 Depot barrels use Bulldog blanks - I've never heard of them.

Obviously, my budget is tight, so the less expensive barrels are appealing. However, I don't want to make a mistake.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated. ESPECIALLY if you have experience with either the Red X or AR15 Depot barrels. If you have, what kind of groups did you get?

Re: Barrel for LR-308 style rifle

White Oaks Armament is a great barrel for the money. You can also go DPMS, they actually aren't too bad.

I wish I could buy a White Oak. I ordered my .223 barrel from them. They don't sell barrels for the .308 platforms.

Order your barrel from Brux. Cut rifled, top quality, and the price is pretty damnded reasonable.

Msalm - I agree the Brux barrels are great, but my budget is around $300. The Brux barrels are running about $440.. just don't have the funds right now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish I could buy a White Oak. I ordered my .223 barrel from them. They don't sell barrels for the .308 platforms. </div></div>

I have a WOA 308 barrel...I bought it through D9firearms.com a few years ago. Not sure if they carry them anymore.

Haha, thanks dlx - I started that thread! So anyway, yes, I am aware of the barrel nut problem. I have a lathe and I'm just going to open up the barrel nut.

I have heard good things about the Rainier Ultra Match barrels, but not much about the Rainier select barrels. Who makes the blanks, and who finishes them? What kind of accuracy are people getting?

GoBig - Wow, congrats on getting a WOA .308 barrel. They must not make them anymore. I actually even called them to verify that they don't make them. Unfortunately... they don't.

I have a fulton 16" stainless it is a decent shooter. You could get one of their 18" stainless just keep in mind they are short-chambered so either buy a bolt matched to it from Fulton or have it finish reamed yourself.

Bulldog is a pretty big OEM barrel maker like Wilson and their barrels are just as good. IIRC DPMS uses montana rifleman you can order from them if you like.

That's weird, on the Fulton site it lists the chamber as a "finished chamber" - it even goes on to say that it can be used for either .308 or 7.62. Maybe they stopped short chambering them?

What kind of groups do you get with the Fulton barrel? Is it a criterion, and a bull barrel?

I'm not very familiar with Bulldog blanks - which manufacturers use them?

All their AR barrels are Criterion unless it says otherwise. Just imagine their 18" in 16" that is what I have.

Yeah I thought it was 100% finished too that plus it being on sale was why I bought it. Then I put it together and had problems so I emailed Fulton and got "...all our stainless barrels come short-chambered" in response. Practically speaking it is MOA or better.

Of the choices you listed I think that Fulton is best just make sure to get a headspaced bolt from them.

edit: I guess I should add that mine has M4 feedramp cuts and has been 100% reliable no chambering issues with any ammunition factory, mil or reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's weird, on the Fulton site it lists the chamber as a "finished chamber" - it even goes on to say that it can be used for either .308 or 7.62. Maybe they stopped short chambering them?

What kind of groups do you get with the Fulton barrel? Is it a criterion, and a bull barrel?

I'm not very familiar with Bulldog blanks - which manufacturers use them? </div></div>

This is a 10 round group from a 22" fulton barrel shooting 175 smk's. I say get the fulton.

IMG_0959.jpg

Wow, nice 10 shot group! Especially when you consider 8 of the 10 were covered by a quarter, maybe even a nickel!

Those are the kinds of groups I get when I do my part and use my best handloads. I don't shoot for groups very often though really only when doing load development.

My problem is that I already ordered a BCG. I guess I could mail it to them...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, nice 10 shot group! Especially when you consider 8 of the 10 were covered by a quarter, maybe even a nickel!</div></div>

I was pissed with the last 2 rounds, I need to build a sturdier target frame. That is a 2" dot btw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are the kinds of groups I get when I do my part and use my best handloads. I don't shoot for groups very often though really only when doing load development.</div></div>

I usually shoot the steel at 600-1000 yards but I just got an atlas bipod and a couple of nice bags so I decided to bring the target frame with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My problem is that I already ordered a BCG. I guess I could mail it to them...</div></div>

I bought the barrel by itself and used the bolt I had on hand from the original DPMS barrel that I had picked up. Which was also sourced separately from the bolt (the bolt is DPMS). I picked up a couple of Forster go/no-go gauges and tested headspace with both barrels. I've used the gauges on a couple of other frankenguns with mix matched bolts/barrels and they've all been in spec. Is the BCG you ordered complete or stripped? Maybe you can send back the original bolt only and then get one with the barrel. Or you can get your hands on some gauges and test it before you use it. I'd bet that your bolt would headspace properly with the barrel though.
Just my thoughts though, don't do anything you feel is unsafe.

I like this barrel so much I plan on buying and extra 20" barrel and possibly one of their 6.5 creedmoor's as well.

"Hi,

All of the stainless .308 AR barrels are short chambered. You can send us the barrel and your bolt, we will headspace it for you for 25.00 which includes return shipping. Turn around time for this is only a couple of days from when we receive it.

Richard
Fulton Armory
301-490-9485
www.Fulton-Armory.com
8725 Bollman Pl. Suite #1
Savage, MD 20763"

email I got from them when I had trouble. ymmv

I guess I can throw another barrel into the mix. I can get a McGowen precision barrel for $275 plus shipping.

I'd get a DPMS upper so you can take advantage of their assembly. It's stupid accurate.

What assembly are you talking about? You mean their barrels? I already have a POF upper and Lower - They are DPMS style receivers. I should be able to use any barrel I want - provided it has a DPMS style barrel extension, and not the Armalite one (I already bought the BCG).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Hi,

All of the stainless .308 AR barrels are short chambered. You can send us the barrel and your bolt, we will headspace it for you for 25.00 which includes return shipping. Turn around time for this is only a couple of days from when we receive it.

Richard
Fulton Armory
301-490-9485
www.Fulton-Armory.com
8725 Bollman Pl. Suite #1
Savage, MD 20763"

email I got from them when I had trouble. ymmv </div></div>

What exactly is "short chambered"? They didn't fully chamber the barrel? If so then they'd have to finish each barrel individually with it's chosen bolt. I don't think the variance in the dimensions of bolts is going to be so drastic that some won't allow proper headspace without a reaming. I do think though that their lawyers suggested a particular response that would reduce any kind of legal issues arising from someone doing something with their products and getting injured.

Who knows though? Maybe I just got lucky with my barrel. I hope I don't have any problems with the next barrel I order. Because with my results and the price of the barrel I think a fulton is a no-brainer.

When you chamber a rifle, you use a chamber reamer. Basically, short chambering is stopping the reamer either just shy of, or right at the bottom end of the SAAMI specs for chamber depth. That way, you can take the barrel to a gunsmith and have them precisely chamber the barrel to your exact specifications. However, as you said, the tolerances on the bolts (while they do vary) shouldn't vary enough to warrant this on a $280 barrel. I can see on a benchrest rifle with a $800 barrel... but not this. Also, their site doesn't say anything about short chambering, it says it's a finished chamber. I wonder if they fed BCP a load of crap, or what? I'm going to call them on Monday.

Firestorm,

I'm very interested in what u find out. Please keep this thread updated.

Thanks.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Fulton Armory. It sounds like just about everyone was partially correct. The guy I talked to said there is a lot of variance in AR-10 and LR-308 style bolts, which is not the case in AR-15 bolts. What they do is finish chamber them to the lower end of the SAAMI spec. Therefore, they ARE finish chambered, but they may not headspace properly with every bolt - and if that is the case, then it would be "short chambered" for your bolt. He said that about 2 out of 5 bolts will not headspace properly with their chambers, and need a few thousandths reamed out.

He also said that if you purchase the bolt from them, they will headspace it for you, and if you already have your bolt, you can mail it to them.