• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel for Springfield M1A

dhawkins

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
California
Hi there. Have a SOCOM 16 that will be dropping into a J Allen stock. Looking at a 20" barrel. Know that folks like Krieger and need to figure out what twist - thoughts appreciated here. A couple more questions:

1) any brand outside of Krieger that should be considered?
2) are there any gunsmiths here in the L.A. area that could perform the barrel swap?
3) should I send the rifle out to have the barrel changed out and, if so, where might you recommend I send it?

Thanks,

Danny

Re: Barrel for Springfield M1A

Look at the Barnett Barrels (brownells) they are the choice of High Power Shooters for serice Rifles.

Best guy for Service Rifles on the West Coast is Don Manning who runs “Shooters Supply” in Yakima, WA.

He's been in the game a long time, building M1A/M14s and shooting service rifle for the all guard team.

When I first converted my M1A to super match, in the late 70s, it was done by Barnet himself. A few years later Manning did a complete rebuild. Cant ask for a more accurate M1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danny Hawkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi there. Have a SOCOM 16 that will be dropping into a J Allen stock. Looking at a 20" barrel. Know that folks like Krieger and need to figure out what twist - thoughts appreciated here. A couple more questions:

2) are there any gunsmiths here in the L.A. area that could perform the barrel swap?
3) should I send the rifle out to have the barrel changed out and, if so, where might you recommend I send it?

Thanks,

Danny </div></div>

Danny,

I recommend the 18.0" or 22.0" medium heavy Crazy Horse barrel.
4 groove, 1:10 ROT chambered for M118LR, Sub MOA accurate from SAGE EBR stock.
Smith Enterprise, Inc. sells and installs these barrels... I have one of each length.

Thanks Hide members - this is great stuff. Appreciate all the feedback.

For barrels, Krieger makes a nice medium weight barrel for the USMC DMR. I love mine, and it hammers.

For gunsmithing in SoCal, check out Jim Gronning of Gruning Precision. He has a nice website, and offers discounts to military and LE.

Telephone: (951) 283-6915
Email: [email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Danny,

Check this out:

http://www.shop.m-14parts.com/Wolfe-Modi...uide-MMWBLR.htm

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...approximately 1/4 to 3/4 of a pound more than the medium weight barrel currently in use.</div></div>

shocked.gif
That barrel must weigh a ton.

BTW, I just read that SEI is building 500 USGI M14s with new 16.0" barrels.
Maybe these will become available to non-military users in the future.

SAI sells their own Wilson-based barrels in 3 contours for a very reasonable price. You can screw them on the receiver, time them up, then use a pull-through reamer to headspace them as they are about .020" short chambered. The standard weight and the mid-weight use a regular op rod guide versus the full heavy uses their NM op rod guide.

I have a Springfield armory rifle that I had a Kreiger 1:12 22" chromoly heavy barrel installed along with the tig welding, flah hider reaming, chambering along with some other work done. All put in a JAE stock. Talk with Mike at Kreiger barrels he knows a lot and they did a great job. When I got it back I put a new spring guide in along with the adjustable gas piston valve. All said and done this thing is a tack driver. I as able to keep a 7 shot group at 1/2 moa at 100 yards. Last weekend I shot it all the way out to 1200 yards. At 850 yards I was able to hit a 10" target repeatedly every time. For FYI load was Hordady a max 168 grain with winchester brass 43 grains of IMR 8208 with Fed 210 Primers OAL of 2.800" at a velocity of 2630 FPS. Hope this helps. If you seat the bullet .020" longer you will be jamming the bullet into the lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danny Hawkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi there. Have a SOCOM 16 that will be dropping into a J Allen stock. Looking at a 20" barrel. Know that folks like Krieger and need to figure out what twist - thoughts appreciated here. A couple more questions:

Thanks,

Danny </div></div>

Danny,

Smith Enterprise, Inc. sells and installs these barrels... I have one of each length. </div></div>

Just sent an m25 rec & Bolt to have Ron install a M21A5 Standard Weight 1x10x4 Groove w/M118LR Chamber 22 Inch Barrel, I am not a fan of the heavy / medium or any contour heavier than USGI as the rifle may need be carried - will see how well that rifle fires from the bench when it gets back - just going to be used for coyotes and other pesky critters, maybe even a NY deer hunt.

Bought from Ron Smith rec's & a complete rifle many many years back, no problems to date, a good guy in my book.

While I havent had Jon do any work as of yet, he is a thumbs up guy as well whom I bought alot from, he has criterion chromelined on hand last I knew besides his own contour.

Think you will be happy with Ron or Jon's work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danny Hawkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi there. Have a SOCOM 16 that will be dropping into a J Allen stock. Looking at a 20" barrel. Know that folks like Krieger and need to figure out what twist - thoughts appreciated here. A couple more questions:

Thanks,

Danny </div></div>

Danny,

Smith Enterprise, Inc. sells and installs these barrels... I have one of each length. </div></div>

Just sent an m25 rec & Bolt to have Ron install a M21A5 Standard Weight 1x10x4 Groove w/M118LR Chamber 22 Inch Barrel, I am not a fan of the heavy / medium or any contour heavier than USGI as the rifle may need be carried... </div></div>

My M21A5 RRM has the standard weight 1:10 4 Groove 22 Inch Barrel w/M118LR Chamber... you will love it
smile.gif

06-16-10006.jpg

Thanks for all of the great posts....ended up sending it out to Smith Enterprises and will share my experience once complete.

Got it back from Smith Enterprises - great work, communication, etc. and quick turn around. Did so well, I sent along my Troy MCS SOCOM 16 to have the 18" barrel added.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danny Hawkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it back from Smith Enterprises - great work, communication, etc. and quick turn around.

Did so well, I sent along my Troy MCS SOCOM 16 to have the 18" barrel added. </div></div>

excellent.jpg

You should be able to sell off your SOCOM 16 barrel for a fair price.

Danny,
Next week your rifle will be started on. Thanks for the compliment and will turn this one into a real shooter too

Yep - will let someone have the barrel when I get it back for not a lot. Will take pics of the Troy, JAE and others all together at some point.

I am REALLY getting the itch for one of these M1A's but I know little about them and so far this thread has some very helpful info...

Thinking about an 16-18" barrel in a J Allen Stock, now how hard (about how much $$$$) is it to get such a setup shooting MOA or a little better by one of these qualified smiths?

Think I would like a low power variable (1x5) with maybe a piggy back red dot on top...

Thought I would add my $.02. I had a friend put together a great
M1A for me and I believe his choice of barrels is a Douglas.
Does the job.

I like the Medium wt Krieger DMR barrels...Phil Arrington in AZ installed mine

Got a 22" medium weight Rock 5R barrel in mine, with the JAE stock i can tell you it shoot sweeeeeeeet.

Have some pictures of the completed rifles - just don't know how to add them. Can someone please direct me to the instructions to upload 'em?