• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel heat

Yowie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2014
Hey guys,

Got a standard Rem 700 SPS 300WM rifle and going to mount it on a McMillan A5 adjustable but I'm in a bit of a pickle. The McMillan was designed for a kreiger HV B/C with 4" cylinder, should I buy this barrel so it fits perfectly?

The standard barrel gets hot enough to drop round low after 3 consecutive shots, but those 3 rounds are in about a 1/2" area. The tip of the standard SPS is 0.67"

Is it worth the $600AUD to go to a .850" barrel so I can get the 5 rounds accurately down range like I desire or is there another way?

I can get a Hart 30" MHV for $610 also.

Any help is appreciated

I shot 30 rounds for load development in a 24"#7 Shilen 300 win mag two days ago. I had 5-shot group a little under 1", the rest were 1/2" or better at 100 yards. I would do it.

I would try cryo-freezing the barrel first. Its cheap as hell and theoretically prevents a barrel from walking as it heats.

I honestly don't understand the science in cryo freezing barrel.

Especially formed barrels.

It's already solid, the molecules are not going to realign themselves, if they did then metal wouldn't be solid.

The idea with cryogenic treatment is that it relieves stress in the metal. Typically, the barrel is heated after being brought to cryogenic temperatures, and the stress relief is measurable.

Hmmm.... I would need to see some scientific studies on barrel performance before I'd lay down the cash for this.

I shot 30 rounds for load development in a 24"#7 Shilen 300 win mag two days ago. I had 5-shot group a little under 1", the rest were 1/2" or better at 100 yards. I would do it.

How quickly were you firing? I have a habit of "fire, check POI, reload, acquire target, fire." So I don't wait around ages

How quickly were you firing? I have a habit of "fire, check POI, reload, acquire target, fire." So I don't wait around ages

I shoot a group. Reset the chrono. Record data. Shoot another. I stay on the gun when I am shooting.