• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel imperfection identification

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Was checking with scope to make sure barrel is clean. Noticed this about .5” from muzzle.

I’m not worried about it in the slightest. This is purely for my own education. What is this?

Barrel is dasher with 650 rounds on it. Only patches and light nylon brushing by hand has been done to this barrel. Don’t remember seeing it when barrel was new, but could have easily went past it (and don’t remember if I even looked that far down barrel as I only use borescope to verify cleaning).

Has had carbon and copper removed. Again, just curious. Not worried about shooting it, which I should be don’t today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

2301228B-F3D3-4A6D-9CEC-EAF51697CC14.jpeg

Potentially imperfection in the raw barrel ? Looks like a pin hole, and probably one in a million that a barrel has one, let alone you finding one.

I have seen this previously on a new(ish) Remington barrel, and a friend of mine who makes barrels has shown me the difference between quality steel blanks VS chinesium junk steel.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    To me it looks like an inclusion in the base metal that has popped out. But what seems more concerning is the dark area around the pit, it seems to be a low area. Is cleaner collecting in the pit and attacking the surrounding steel? It might be nothing. If it shoots shoot it might apply here.

One option may be to have the crown pushed back about 3/4"

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    To me it looks like an inclusion in the base metal that has popped out. But what seems more concerning is the dark area around the pit, it seems to be a low area. Is cleaner collecting in the pit and attacking the surrounding steel? It might be nothing. If it shoots shoot it might apply here.

One option may be to have the crown pushed back about 3/4"

It shot well the last time out. If it shoots well now, I won’t worry.

Pushing the crown back is a good idea if it turns into something. Thanks

I would say there was some type of foreign material in the forging of the metal. It broke free and took some of the surrounding barrel material with it.

We've seen similar instances in components of ultra high pressure pumps. I think it's due to the pressure.

It looks like erosion possibly from ammonia based cleaner and copper removal. I've seen this a few times especially on Chrome Molly barrels.

Reactions: AllenOne1
    It looks like erosion possibly from ammonia based cleaner and copper removal. I've seen this a few times especially on Chrome Molly barrels.

Never heard that before do you have some pics, would love to see them

possibly a before and after?

would like to see what actually happens

With pics we would be able to rule out inclusions and other possibilities posted above.

maybe a barrel guy can chime in with the regular barrel materials for CM and stainless.

ill call my solvents supplier later on today and see if ammonia etc can break down those materials

always want to learn

Thanks

Just looking at the picture and not have the barrel in hand per say to look at it.....

I'll say the lighter/greyish colored area is carbon fouling.

The really black dark spot could be pitting in the steel? Was it from cleaning? Possibly.

It could be a void in the material as well but I've never really seen a void look like that at all. If it is a void look around that area of the barrel and see if you see anymore. If you do then I'll say a void in the material. How that happens is from impurities in the material. If you didn't see it when the barrel was new what happens is the voids where just below the surface. Then as you shoot the pressure for the bullet going down the bore etc...will make the surface sink into the voids. Kind a like a sink hole showing up in your yard.

Again though I've never seen voids with a greyish colored area around them. Even after being shot.

I'll say no to the ammonia cleaner causing it per say. I've used Sweet's in barrels since the late 80's and I've never had a problem with Sweet's. Never mix your cleaners together. That can cause chemical reactions and cause etching/pitting in the bore of a barrel. Unless your a chemist and you know how the stuff is going to react....don't do that. We've left Sweet's sit in a bore of a barrel for an extended period of time, put a piece of barrel and let it soak/submersed in the jar for months and nothing happened. If I recall correctly Boots (Obermeyer) did a similar test and didn't have a problem. Then he took the same hunk of barrel and coated it in Sweet's and let it sit on top of the hot water heater and then presto it pitted/corroded. Now did the heat and moisture and or some sort of electricity/current from the water heater cause it to react with the cleaner to cause the chemical reaction and cause the pitting. I'll say yes but like I'm saying...what and how it happened to one guy another guy might never see a problem due to all the circumstances involved.

You say the pit/problem is about a .5" in from the muzzle? It's not uncommon to see pitting at the muzzle end of the barrel more than anywhere else. Why? When the bullet leaves the barrel it creates a vacuum and sucks in the air from the outside into the bore of the barrel. Any moisture/junk in the air etc...that gets sucked in will deposit itself more in the very end of the muzzle area of the bore.

Also did you put the gun away dirty for an extended period of time with out cleaning it? If so the moisture in the air etc...will react with the fouling and pitting will occur. It's just a matter of time. The barrel steel is stainless steel but isn't surgical stainless. It will pit/it will corrode. This gets effected more or less with the type of cleaners (some cleaners are more water based then say oil based) that can be used, to the environment where you live/shoot (one guy who leaves near the ocean in a real humid environment etc...vs a guy who lives in Phoenix, AZ etc....) and or not cleaning it and putting it away dirty like I said.

Not to long ago we had a customer that put his rifle away for almost a year and didn't clean it. The face of the crown area was all pitted from the carbon build up. He got lucky as the bore didn't get effected by any pitting. The barrel did have a muzzle brake on it also.

If it's not effecting accuracy.....shoot the gun and just monitor it. If the accuracy is suffering and like has been suggested....cut the .5" off the end of the muzzle and recrown the barrel and shoot it.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Thanks for the clarification...

Who wants to bet that someone will post the exact opposite of what Frank just replied because they know more...lol

Reactions: beretta_man11
    So, like I said, I wasn’t really worried. I know people freak out over things with a borescope they shouldn’t. I was just curious as to what I was seeing. I use mine to verify I’ve cleaned barrel properly/completely.

Here’s this barrel (dasher, 2840fps, 109 Berger, .020 ish jump, zero load development). If you need anymore proof not to sweat what you see with the scope. Shot 5 or 6 shots to foul barrel. Then these:

Attachments

• 0B68F977-9D6C-49AD-8320-DBC883E38360.jpeg
      0B68F977-9D6C-49AD-8320-DBC883E38360.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 50
    • 42A2EEF1-821E-40B6-BFCD-EF0B96A0A200.jpeg
      42A2EEF1-821E-40B6-BFCD-EF0B96A0A200.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 49
    To me it looks like the orange shoot-n-see are 1mm diameter and stuck on a golf ball. Are you shooting needle calibre bullets or something similar ?