• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel leak? Savage 12 LRP .260 Rem.

MasterPredatorHunting

masterpredatorhunting.com
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2014
masterpredatorhunting.com
When I clean the gun overnight with wipe out foam cleaner, I notice some has leaked out at the intersection of the barrel and where it goes into the lug. Not sure if I am describing the area correctly but it is where the barrel meets the receiver. Is this a problem? It is a new gun with only 100 rounds down the pipe so far.

I'd be afraid to leave any cleaner in my barrel overnight. I've never left anything longer than 5min.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Savages like to be shot dirty. After the first hundred rounds or so, get the copper out then don't put a cleaning rod in it until accuracy drops off.

It just sucks up copper like mad. I shot 30 at the range and you wouldn't believe how much blue the wipe out took out of the barrel. If I don't clean it won't the copper become etched in the barrel?

You've probably etched the barrel by leaving solvent in it overnight.

Sadly, this is more likely than the copper becoming "etched in the barrel". The gun will tell you when it needs to be cleaned, and usually it won't be for a few hundred rounds at least. Even when it is time for a cleaning, there's no need for 24 hour soaks. Do a search for gun cleaning on here. Lots of info. Make sure to use protection (a bore guide).

Edit: FYI, your barrel is fine. That was more sarcastic than anything.

Last edited:
It just sucks up copper like mad. I shot 30 at the range and you wouldn't believe how much blue the wipe out took out of the barrel. If I don't clean it won't the copper become etched in the barrel?

My first Savage barrel did too. I'd also use wipeout/Gunslick foaming bore cleaner after every range trip (20-30 rounds), often applying it several times, including overnight soaks.

Meanwhile, it shot great clean or dirty. When it was still coppering a lot after ~200 rounds, I quit worrying about it, and quit cleaning. Accuracy dropped off @ ~600 rounds. After that cleaning, it never coppered badly again until the barrel quit @ ~6500 rounds. This was a 308.

It's a rough factory barrel, what do you expect? If you want a barrel that doesn't collect a lot of copper then you're going to pay as much for the barrel and smith work as you did the whole gun. The other solution is to shoot the piss out of it until it smooths out. Cleaning won't do you much good.

Seems like everybody here favors only cleaning the gun after accuracy drops off. Guess I will stop cleaning it. Always thought copper would become etched in the barrel if it wasn't cleaned regularly.

etching is a chemical process where material is removed. In reality copper fills the pores of the steel and will build up as it smears over the steel and onto itself. That is definitely not etching. With enough time it is possible that the copper and steel could corrode each other through electrolysis though it is highly unlikely. You are much more likely to screw up the barrel by cleaning than by not.

Frank