• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel length for 260 or 6.5x47 Lapua

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Trying to finalize a few details of my first build and im just narrowing down caliber but im leaning towards a 6.5x47 lapua or the 260. rem. I am just getting into the precision sniper matches in my area and was hoping for something a little cheaper, lighter recoiling and easier on the shoulder all day. On top of that most of the shooting i do is in a few of the local farm fields around where coyotes and crows happen to make a great target at multiple distances! Only thing im having difficulties with is barrel length, and twist rate? I dont know if i want 26 or 28" as im hoping for the best speed possible for beating the wind. Does anyone have any experiences with one of these 6.5's with barrel lengths of 28"? the other thing is contour and twist rate? seeing most people around the 1:8 twist or 1:8.5 twist rate? any preferences for the 139-142's? and contour?

One thing for sure is you will want 1/8.5 or 1/8 twist, they will both work fine with the 140's and under. Contour is personal preference, go with the heaviest you can sand to hump around I like heavy barrels (MTU) but I also have a great appreciation for the meduim and heavy palma contours. Length, well I wouldn't want anything past 24" but that is personal preference also. You won't give much up at all with ether cartridge with that length. 28" is too long IMO being able to move at matches is big plus.

I think 24-26" is ideal, especially for the heavier bullets.

I have a new GAP 260 on order with a 24" barrel and a 8.20 twist, after talking a bunch with them this is what we settled on

I have a 22" 6.5x47 and really like it, I am not sure I would go over 24" in that caliber.

I would recomend an 8 twist, run the barrel 26inches and add a brake to cut recoil and help you spot impacts

If you want a straight taper get a m40 or mtu contour or get a heavy palma those would be my top 3 recomendations and will be on the shelves of most smiths

Best of luck

My deer rifle is a 22" 260 and is actually faster than my 24" heavy precision rifle. I have come to be a real fan of shorter barrels for real world shooting. If all of your shooting will be from prone, then barrel weight and length dont mean much. When you have to hold from field positions, you will seriously regret a 26" or longer barrel.

I'm currently having a .260 built with a 24" Barlein M40 8tw. It will wear a TBAC brake for my can. I think this setup meets what you are looking for.

I was told by a truly great shooter/smith that a 260 doesn't gain any speed past 26. I have a 28,24,&20 in 260 and my 6.5x47 is a 23" I love the all but the 28" Because its a MTU and heavy to tote around. But prone its pretty sweet. I have really fallen in love with my 20"ers 6.5's (both creedmoor and 260) but if I was to recommend the one that gets the benefits and the mobility I really like my 24" GAP rem varmint contour Bartliens. They have been perfect.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Tikka t3 ctr 20" .260 that is coming out. Think a 20" barrels gives up to much speed?

Anyone have any thoughts on the Tikka t3 ctr 20" .260 that is coming out. Think a 20" barrels gives up to much speed?

I have a new 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Defiance Deviant II that I will be picking up friday. I really wanted to run a 20" bbl on it as I am planning to run it suppressed 100% of the time and it will only be used for PRS matches. But my smith, that is a great guy and fellow PRS shooter, talked me out of it. He has a 6.5x47 that is 20" and he said the difference between 20" and 24" is huge and his opinion is awesome because it is backed up by 100% first hand knowledge. SO that being said I will be picking up my rifle with a 24" MTU Hart barrel on it Friday and I can't wait.

my 6.5x47 is an 8 twist #17 HV Bartlien 5R finished at 28.25 inches,,it i heavy on a Stiller Tac 30 and AICS 1.5,,maybe 18 lbs but it shoots the 130 Berger VLD at 3000 fps in really small groups,,the 130`s with the extra speed seem to shoot flatter and hold better in the wind than the 140`s at slower speeds until you get way out,

I hate giving up velocity I'd of otherwise had - up to the point where the rifle is "unwieldy".

For me, 28" + brake is over the line. Rifle no longer fits in most cases, bags or car trunks. "Medium" contour barrels (RemVar or Palma) is pretty spindly and whippy.

So, a 26" + brake is what I run - pretty much across the board. Mind you I rarely use a suppressor and certainly don't at PRS events.

FWIW, I thought I was in love with the palma contour until I used a heavy palma...perfection in my mind.

the #17 HV is one heavy barrel,,I think it measured .920 at 28.25 inches,,it weighs 7.25 lbs itself,,the AICS 1.5 is over 6 lbs then the action and spigot mount and bipod,,10 round mags and scope and it is heavy,,I didnt do a brake and trying to learn to spot my shots without it,and the weight helps,,500 yards and out I am ok but inside 500 sometimes I see it and sometimes not,,

I dont shoot matches,,just bang steel for fun and shoot some FClass targets for score for fun and my own satisfaction,,

Well I live in Canada and Suppressors aren't allowed so those are out of the question, but im wanted to give me the best advantage for added velocity but wasn't sure if others felt like there was a line where it gets too long for these 6.5's. So it would be 28" with a brake or 26" with a brake is what i was originally thinking

30bi5pi.jpg

22" Kriger, 1-8.5 twist. Heavy MTU Contour :)

Shoots holes on holes on holes on holes, runs Cor-Bon 142's all day, its what it seems to like the best.....im very happy with this setup. just my .02

Trying to finalize a few details of my first build and im just narrowing down caliber but im leaning towards a 6.5x47 lapua or the 260. rem. I am just getting into the precision sniper matches in my area and was hoping for something a little cheaper, lighter recoiling and easier on the shoulder all day. On top of that most of the shooting i do is in a few of the local farm fields around where coyotes and crows happen to make a great target at multiple distances! Only thing im having difficulties with is barrel length, and twist rate? I dont know if i want 26 or 28" as im hoping for the best speed possible for beating the wind. Does anyone have any experiences with one of these 6.5's with barrel lengths of 28"? the other thing is contour and twist rate? seeing most people around the 1:8 twist or 1:8.5 twist rate? any preferences for the 139-142's? and contour?

Hey Matt_3479,

I am in similar as I leaning towards starting a third custom later this year, if funds are available. I am aiming towards same two calibers as you but more so towards .260.

Based on what I hear your needs are (which appear to be same reason for me building similar) I have been leaning towards:

.260 Rem
24" or 26" (in that order)
Krieger #14 Heavy Palma
1:8 tiwst
140 AMax in Lapua Brass
* No brake for me

My thought is being rig would be used for tactical/sniper type challenges the 24" may be better than 26", especially if you decide to put a brake on it.

Just a quick .02...

Last edited:
How do you all think a 24" light varmint in 260 would perform for tactical matchs? Wondering if the light varmint will get hot to fast.

Well I live in Canada and Suppressors aren't allowed so those are out of the question, but im wanted to give me the best advantage for added velocity but wasn't sure if others felt like there was a line where it gets too long for these 6.5's. So it would be 28" with a brake or 26" with a brake is what i was originally thinking

Yeah, to your question: I have a 26" and a 21" 6.5x47... the 26" runs the 130gr at 2925. The 21" runs the same bullet at 2800. That is a MV loss of 25fps/in. Now the difference between a 26 and 28 will not be 25fps/in... more likely 12fps/in... so if the 26" runs the 130grs at 2925, you are probably looking at a MV of 2950fps from a 28". If you run a 260 instead of a 6.5x47, you will probably get another 50fps... so 2975 for the 26" to 3000fps for the 28".

For your applications, how big a deal is 50fps difference in MV? Well, its meaningless for wind drift, meaningless for terminal energy. Really only important for bullet drop. At 500yds, your danger space vs a 12" target is increased by ~4%, i.e. 3 yds with the faster bullet. A smaller target and your danger space improvement will improve moderately.

A 28" barrel with a brake on it is nearly 30" long. That is getting long. If you are running this thing from non-prone, non-bipod positions, I bet your better served with a 26"...

Good luck with your build!

i have made good hits past 1200 yds with a 24 inch 260 pushing the 142 at 2850fps, faster than that you give up some accuracy and barrel life.
cheers.

Hey Matt_3479,

I am in similar as I leaning towards starting a third custom later this year, if funds are available. I am aiming towards same two calibers as you but more so towards .260.

Based on what I hear your needs are (which appear to be same reason for me building similar) I have been leaning towards:

.260 Rem
24" or 26" (in that order)
Krieger #14 Heavy Palma
1:8 tiwst
140 AMax in Lapua Brass
* No brake for me

My thought is being rig would be used for tactical/sniper type challenges the 24" may be better than 26", especially if you decide to put a brake on it.

Just a quick .02...

Thanks everyone for the help!

Tristian why do you suggest the 24 over the 26 for the precision matches especially if i put a brake on it?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Tristian why do you suggest the 24 over the 26 for the precision matches especially if i put a brake on it?

Nothing based on science.

To answer. 24 inch with a two inch break would bring you to 26. Where 26 plus two inch break would bring you to 28 inches and so on.

Thought:
IF finding yourself in a tactical/sniper type match a 26" length barrel/brake 'maybe' more maneuverable than a 28" length plus barrel/brake while running through various obstacles. As depending on match you just may find yourself shooting in tight positions. Granted a 22 inch with a two inch brake would give you even more wiggle room but 'probably' just a little less fps. There are so many variables above may not be a factor for you. If your longest shot is within 700 yards then my thoughts are probably NULL and VOID. But if your longest shot is 1000 yards or greater then you may want to lean towards the shorter of longer. Not sure if this makes sense.

Also, the few guys I personally know who do very well in these type matches run 22 to 26 (max) barrels with no brakes. 24 inches appears to be a good mid point with velocity and maneuverability.

Above is based on homework I have done and I cannot prove above with facts let alone to be true.

Please take with a grain of salt as I am sure there are others out there that would disagree with my thoughts.

Safe shooting...

Added:
As I read other responses to your question I see they have more real world insight.
I believe my thoughts/conclusions are indirectly in line with their experiences.
But maybe I am incorrect.

I am human ;)

Lastly,
Thank you to everyone who responded to Matt_3479 as your thoughts and comments helped me out as well.

Last edited: