• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Length for .30-06 1000 yd shooting

Ovrmydeadbdy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Northern Colorado
I am relatively new to this sport, I have been building my Long Range rifle from a remington 700, .30-06. I have been building over the past few years because I am married and....yeah!!

My next purchase is a new barrel, and I want to go all out! so I don't care about price, but I want to stay in the .30-06 caliber. Only reason is I don't hear a lot of guys shooting .30-06 at 1K.

i mean, I need help on the contoure, the twist, the muzzle break. All suggestions are wanted!!

I have been reloading the Hornady A-Max 208 gr. and getting 1" grouping at 350 yds. will a new barrel help me tighten the group?

Re: Barrel Length for .30-06 1000 yd shooting

If you are getting one inch groups at 350 I wouldn't change the barrel just yet. Could you give details of your current setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ovrmydeadbdy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been reloading the Hornady A-Max 208 gr. and getting 1" grouping at 350 yds. will a new barrel help me tighten the group?
</div></div>

Pics or it didn't happen...Oh, and I am sure those "groups" are going to be IAW Papa Smurf's guidelines. Read below...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sniper's Hide Group Shot Policy v2 2010

In an effort to increase awareness and increase proficiency in shooting, Sniper's Hide is modifying its group shot policy from this point forward. It is every members responsibility to understand and follow this policy in order to make the site a better place. This is not meant as an attack on anyone or any company based on their accuracy standards, merely a way to help each of us be a better shooter.

From this day forward I am deleting any 3 shot groups, and especially any groups that are groups within a group.

So here are the revised rules for posting groups on Sniper's Hide.

1. You must show the Entire target unedited.

2. Inside 300 yards you must post at least (4) 5 shot groups that can be identified on target or you may post (1) 10 shot group for record. I will also accept (6) 3 shot groups on the same paper or target.

3. Anything beyond 300 yards a minimum of 5 shots is required. Please note Rule #1 about the unedited target.

4. The group shot rules can be bypassed with a target using 10 or more 1/2" dots with one individual round on each dot for a minimum of 10 shots. You can download the Sniper's Hide Dot Drill Target from this site to use in place of showing a group that does not meet the above criteria. You can also show a group containing less than required if you have it as part of a video showing you actually shooting the group.

5. Shots on steel can only be used for demonstration purposes and not as part of an exhibition of group shooting. These images must be in conjunction with rifles, optics, etc... they cannot be standalone.

6. Groups shots must be within 2 MOA of the aiming point, otherwise I consider the shots a miss.

This is my effort to help everyone strive to be a better shooter and to shun mediocrity. At Sniper's Hide we want to set the standard of what shooting good groups means, and we encourage those who are practicing to display their groups especially if you are working on improving your skills.

Any group currently posted on the site will be grandfathered in, however moving forward I ask the membership to be vigilant in enforcing the group shot rules and regulations. However this does not give any member license to be combative or argumentative with another member simply because they failed to adhere to the guidelines proposed. I do not want a thread destroyed from a member simply because they did not understand this policy. I think you'll thank me in the long run and we'll help raise the bar for everyone.</div></div>

Josh

Do some searchin' as this topic comes up regular. There are more than a few advocates of this round and it is not gonna fade away. Hell, it is better than it ever was right now. I think the only thing keeping many from using it is there is just enough recoil over the standards (243, 260, 6.5 Lapua, you get the picture) to make it a bother to some. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">Then there is the LA/SA argument but do it really matter at all??
grin.gif
</span></span></span>

That being said, use a fine action, great barrel (Krieger, Bartlien, Rock, Brux to name a few), have a good smith chamber it with a proper reamer (check out German Salazar's blog, or do a search here for Montana Marine/USSR/and lately Bohem for indepth knowledge on this fine round), and use a good piece of glass and you will have a rifle that has the ability to chunk long heavies to well beyond any 1000 yards with the best of them!

Do not short yourself, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">NEVER be without a 30-06</span>.</span>

" Ain't nothing that can't be fixed with $400 dollars or a 30-06" as the old saying goes. Would sure like at least details of this 1/3 MOA 30-06.

I am building one with a 22" Krieger...with contour and length more geared towards long range hunting. It's a good 1000yd round, ballistically superior to the .308 and lots of folks shoot the .308 to 1000 and beyond. If you are shooting legit 1" at 350 yds I wouldn't change anything.

This is My rifle that I've been building. I just finished up relaoding 4 different loads that I am going to test out for the 208 gr. A-max bullet. I will post my results and pictures of the targets.

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg

gun3.jpg

The 30-06 is passable to 1 Mile w/ a 210 Berger or 208 AMAX. Certainly not a preferred cartridge for full time use but it's fun at just beyond transonic speeds. That being said, a 26" tube is preferred in my book, MTU contour is advantageous if you will be driving it hard. Cut rifled is also preferred by me. Reloader - 22 is my powder of choice to attain 2800 fps out of my 26" Broughton.

Cheers,

Doc

OBTW: Twist it 10.

Well, if you're getting 1" groups at 350 yds then at 1000 yds you'd be around 3" groups (no I'm not going to do the math for all you numbers crunchers - do it yourself ;-)

Considering that is around a 1/3 MOA rifle that is fantastic and I'd be envious of it. If you're going all out I'd look at having George at GA Precision put a 10 twist barrel on it. Tell him what you want to do with it and he'll steer you in the correct direction.
Can't go wrong with Mark at Short Action Customs either. Both guys will do you right.

I'd put a 10 twist on it and keep it at 26" or more.

28" - 30" with a 1-10 twist (remember you can always cut a little off if needed or nice to have if you ever set back the chamber later)

I have yet to shoot my next 4 test loads and show the results, But from what I've heard 1000 yard shooting is a whole new beast! I have shot expert 6 out of 6 times while I have been in the Marine Corps. I have a low quality scope on my .30-06 and my grouping did not conform to the rules set forth from 'minor damage.' I had 2 groups of 3 shots each that measured an inch. I was testing loads from my last batch of reloads.

so saying that I could shoot 3" group at 1K is pushing it!

I do appreciate the advice from everyone!!!

Semper Fi.

overmydeadbody- Welcome aboard, it's great to see another 30-06 advocate. For several years my -06 was my only precision rifle and it got the bulk of my shooting through it. I have no idea what the round count is, but from the batches of brass that I keep loading through it must be over 5000 by now and it's still going strong.

I'm shooting a 26" barrel. When I finally need to put a new one on I will probably step to a 28" just because that's the length of the blank and I don't feel like cutting it back at the start.

DHD- Thanks for the confidence, MontanaMarine is a great source of knowledge, I've learned quite a bit from him too.

rbpilot - the quote is from Jeff Cooper (http://harris.dvc.org.uk/jeff/lindy2.html):

<span style="font-style: italic">"When our daughter Lindy married Joe Wisdom he brought to the alliance among other things six hundred dollars in hard cash and an old sporterized 1903 rifle. A phrase slipped out of the woodwork and into my ear that might fit into a Country Western-type ballad. To wit:

"Ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix with six hundred dollars and a 30-06."

Since the saying needs another syllable in order to make it bounce properly, I raised the six to seven and thought we might use it to start off something that Johnnie Cash might sing.."</span>

Barrel length will be per your taste. 20" would be enough to make 1000 yards, but 26" will do it with less drift/drop, and hit harder. 30" will give even better ballistics, but at a cost in portability/balance. So it all depends what you want to do with it regarding bench, or field.

Typical results among 30-06 shooters here launching 208/210s with RL22 are around 2800 fps from 26" bbls. I was getting about that too, then cut to 22.5" for better balance. Now I'm getting 2720 fps.

My rifle build was an .06 as well. I went with a 26" 1-10 twist Broughton in a 7.8 max heavy varmint contour. The extra barrel weight help keeps the recoil at a comfortable level for all day shooting. I run a 200gr. SMK with H4350 at 2720fps.

That is correct, Barrel length is from bolt face to muzzle per ATF. Not all people measure it that way but its the best to use if checking legal length. Then if you want to check length of actual rifling you can subtract the OAL of the particular chambering.

JFYI, my shooting pards 40X is chambered in this great old round. To date, I have to say it is the most accurate rifle to be fired on my range. I've seen him print 3 rnd grps at 500 that could be covered by a fifty cent piece, it is in no way the norm but it has happened. I've also witnessed <5" groups at 1K. Barrel is factory 40X, whatever make that is and is 26" straight taper, 1" I think. Cant remember his load but I'll get it tonight and repost. Always loved the '06. Well built ones driven properly are always impressive.

okie

OK, talked to him tonight. With Norma brass and 58gr. of H4350, he's setting 175 SMK's .002 off then lands. I know he neck turns and uniforms primer pockets and holes too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ovrmydeadbdy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a low quality scope on my .30-06. </div></div>

Use the money to get good optics. Even though your groups don't meet the criteria, it sounds like the rifle is capable enough to start learning the game. At long range reading the wind and mirage are the keys to making hits. Get some good glass and mount it securely and then start shooting. A new longer barrel will give you a bit more velocity and therefore less wind drift. But if you can't read the difference between a 6 and a 9 mile an hour wind at 1000 yds it won't matter.

I started to rethink my purchasing order right before you said that Longshotbml. It sounds like the glass is the first step since i have a decent factory barrel. I get paid my vacation pay in December, so hopefully I can talk the wife into letting me buy a nice USO or NF scope!!! A guy can only hope right!!! If anyone is out there that is looking to sell a scope to a begginer, I could use a little help!!!

All out is a 32" 1:10" barrel. Shoot the heavier bullets, the 1:10" twist <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> handle weights to at least 220gr.

That's for a range queen. For a walkabout, pay attention to Montana Marine, his words on the '06 should be bronzed.

Greg

German Salazar has made it his personal mission to show the 30'06 can compete with the other calibers at 1K. He is quite competitive with it, but that's more a testament to his abilities than the wisdom of using 30'06 at 1K. Facts are that there are plenty of cartridges with less recoil and better ballistics.

Anyway, send him an email if you really want advice about how to set up your rig.

I have a pair of heavy '06s(one by Jerry Newman) that I have shot far too little. I had the Newman rifle throated for the 190 SMKs(should have done it for the heavier bullets) and am looking forward to wringing it out.

Montanamarine and doc have spawned many 30-06 converts.

So I finally had time to go shoot the test load 2 days ago. I went out to Pawnee national grasslands here in northern Colorado. I shot these groups at 350 yards. Conditions were perfect, overcast, no wind and 65 degrees!!

IMG_1739.jpg

Before shooting

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

end result

IMG_1744.jpg

first grouping

IMG_1745.jpg

2nd grouping

IMG_1746.jpg

3rd Grouping, not happy at all with this group..I have no excuses.

IMG_1747.jpg

4th grouping

It looks like I'll need to upgrade my scope. I'm looking at the NF 3.5-15..
Let me know what you guys think!!!

what happen i thought you said you were getting 1 inch groups at 350 yards. Or was it 350 ft. or 1 shot groups

what did you do different here than you did to get the 1 inch groups at 350 that you said you did before <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ovrmydeadbdy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I finally had time to go shoot the test load 2 days ago. I went out to Pawnee national grasslands here in northern Colorado. I shot these groups at 350 yards. Conditions were perfect, overcast, no wind and 65 degrees!!

IMG_1739.jpg

Before shooting

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

end result

IMG_1744.jpg

first grouping

IMG_1745.jpg

2nd grouping

IMG_1746.jpg

3rd Grouping, not happy at all with this group..I have no excuses.

IMG_1747.jpg

4th grouping

It looks like I'll need to upgrade my scope. I'm looking at the NF 3.5-15..
Let me know what you guys think!!! </div></div>

I know you won't ever believe me, especially now that I've posted these results. But I did have a couple 3 shot groups i could cover with a silver dollar. I wouldn't believe someone who said that then shot this. But this is what I'm shooting now, I would like to tighten this up.

One foot groups. Maybe a new barrel will help. But...experience will help more. A couple of 3 shot groups doesn't prove anything. Repeat...no proof at all. Technique, both behind the rifle and at the loading bench comes first. Then about 5000 rounds down range...after taking the online course offered here...then come back with results and questions. JMHO

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I was to say I was getting 1" groups, wouldnt I have to shoot 5, 3-shot groups then get the average of all 5 groups to come up with a 1"?

Not to say he didnt shoot that.

I didn't know the forum rules at the time of the shots. I was trained in the Marines on 3 shot groupings! But I am loading up my next 200 rounds and I am going to practice some more.

see article one 6mm brm on both 30-06 builds serengiti reamer used 28" barrell