• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel length for 300. win mag

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I believe im going to put a muzzle brake on the rifle and this rifle isn't suppose to be that heavy. My options are 26" and 28". now with the muzzle break it makes it 27" and 29" barrels. Now some people stronly suggest the 28" barrel but there rifles aren't meant to be a hunting rifle. This rifle is a long range hunting rifle so would the 26" be better or should i take the 28"?

I know somepeople even get it cut to 27"? would that be a good option

Re: Barrel length for 300. win mag

I have a 27 inch tube on my 300WM. It is front heavy but that is ok because I use it for long range hunting than a walking rifle. Either will get you there. The longer tube will have a little more speed but not so much that is will make or break you.

Mine was 26. You want to squeeze all the velocity out of that barrel to optimize the effect of a 300wm.

Reactions: chevy327

What do your rifles weigh? I am building a 300wm now and i'm planning on putting a 26" m40 barrel on it. I was told it'll be about 15lbs with scope. It's fine with me. Some friends of mine hunt with tiny light rifles and say i'm stupid. I disagree with them. I was going to use it for hunting at longer ranges for bigger game. I don't think it's a big deal to pack that around.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

Cheers

My 300WM has a 24" fluted MTU, threaded for can, no brake.

Alan Brown posted some time ago said that they tested at Crane barrel length/velocity and found 21fps per inch. Not much is lost in 6". 126fps. I think they where testing the 220smk. He noted that the muzzle blast was pretty bad on short barrels. So IMHO it’s all about what you want to lug around in the field. I have a 25".

I have a 22 inch, shooting the 208's at up to 2775 with 79g Retumbo

If that helps

Chris

BARREL LENGTH AND THE PRECISION RIFLE
Why shorter barrels may often be better
by
Eugene Nielsen

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tac Ops took a 26-inch barreled .300 Win. Mag. and chopped the barrel down in one-inch increments. No velocity was lost from 26 inches to 22 inches. Velocity loss started to occur only after they went below 22 inches.</div></div>

I put a 29 inch barrel on my 300 WM. The main reason is I use Iron Sights have the time and like the extra sight radius. Granted its heavy, (.96 dia at the muzzle so you could say its a bull barrel). Only have to carry it from the truck to the firing line, its not a hunting rifle. It's a single shot anyway.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

• Love
Reactions: fclassparadise

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a 29 inch barrel on my 300 WM. The main reason is I use Iron Sights have the time and like the extra sight radius. Granted its heavy, (.96 dia at the muzzle so you could say its a bull barrel). Only have to carry it from the truck to the firing line, its not a hunting rifle. It's a single shot anyway.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg
</div></div>
I bet you don't get much wind drift shooting that baby on the line!

Reactions: fclassparadise

jrob300 is making hits over 2K with his 22" barreled 300WM if that tells you anything. Not sure how far you are shooting but I'm guessing it's sub 1K for hunting. If you can handle the recoil for a few shots for hunting with the 300WM, then I'd go with a 22" for a walking hunter. I wouldn't want to hike with a 14lb 4ft long rifle. I'd rather pack a sub 10 lb rifle to leave more weight for the important things.. whiskey... YMMV

I run a 20 inch barrel, I give up some velocity over my 24 inch rifle but it carries much nicer and shoots good groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The weight on mine is about 18.75lbs. </div></div>
Dang that's a heavy rifle! (for me at least). Glad I don't have to walk around with that. Bet it shoots lights out for you, though.

Mine is 22" as well and with the SAS comes in around 12lbs. Heavy enough for me. 208 A-max at 2750 with 70grains of H4831sc Was shooting some steel yesterday out to 840 yards and boy does it make a splash and knock the steel around with energy to spare. I probably would not go more than 26" and if it was mine 24". Weight and balance will be a little better without much loss in speed.

IMG_8441.jpg

Good luck,

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

I like between 24-26" with the 300WM. Mine is a 25" now after the rebarrel. I run a can on it and it and don't find it overly akward. I like having a little more barrel to get as much velocity as possible from handloads with slower powders and heavy 208 AMAX bullets.

Here's a barricade run from this past weekend.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kEugZxcn32E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kEugZxcn32E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Hi Rob,
Nice video. I'm surprised you would run a 300wm in a match. No prblem verifying hits though : ) Wish I could have been there. You get a chance give a call.

Jamie

AI Stocks and Accessories

I used to run my 300WM at ASC all the time but when we stopped shooting there it didn't get out much and I sold it. I had the one above built last year because I missed it. It only had 100 rounds through it and I was shooting all virgin brass so I was surprised it did so well. Heated up a little with some of the strings of fire but nothing too bad and as you can see the recoil wasn't bad with the can.

And yes those 208 AMAX hitting steel made the verification of hits an easy job LOL

yeah i think i have decided on a 26" barrel and leaving the brake for now and if i decide i want a brake then its only a 27"