• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel length for a .260

Scotts556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2009
Texas
im building a 260 and cant figure out wat barre length to get.

I was thinking about the lines of 24 inches with a sure fire flash hider.

but then again i was thinking 18 inches with a sure fire flash hider

What do yall think????? Im going to be shooting long range tactical matches with it, F class maybe, and im going to use it for pdog and deer hunting. Id perfer to have a light rifle but with a barrel heavy enough that heat for make that aacuracy got to hell in only 4 or 5 shots.

Scott

Re: barrel length for a .260

Depends what you going to use it for?

More and more guys are going to shorter barrels no matter what the caliber. You are seeing a swing from long and heave to short and light.

Yeah you should get a 18" barrel.
smile.gif

Have the rifle set-up as a switch barrel and you will no longer have to make decisions and compromises about caliber and barrel length. Get several barrels in different configurations and run the one most appropriate to what you are shooting.

I wasn't sure whether to go 24-26 or 18-20 with the .260 so I asked Randy to build me a .260 with a 22" barrel because that length is in between the two...It prints 5" groups at 1000 yds so obviously the barrel length is fine and Randy built me a great gun....

I agree with Randy - shorter is gaining popularity. I finished my .223 at 22". It's lighter and just as accurate if not better. I'm builing another .260 to run the new Hornady 123 grain A-max. Will probably finish it at 22" also.

Good luck,

JamieD

Popularity be damned.

I don't care what the popular option is, I care what the winning option is, and it's as long as you can get. Look at the USA F Class Team. Are <span style="font-style: italic">they</span> running short barrels? Youbetcherass they ain't.

I went with a 28" barrel for LR F Class because anything longer would have cost a premium, period.

As above, velocity is the name of the game, but how you get it makes a big difference in bore/throat life.

With the shorter barrel, your options are limited to one, you gotta hotrod the loads.

With the longer barrel, the same velocities are accessible with lower pressures and temps, and that's the formula for a considerably better barrel longevity.

Flash hider...

Muzzle brakes are not permitted in F Class. Flash hiders are an interesting question. They may <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> be considered Kosher on the line where you shoot. Ask first, then install.

Have you actually <span style="font-style: italic">been</span> to an F Class event?

Greg

Greg is absolutely correct. The longer the better on 260. I also have a 28" and only reason it isn't 30 is same as Greg's.

You could go with a Palma light contour and do fine.

Hey Greg, did you go to Hathcock Match at Cherry Ridge this year. I asked a friend who was there if he knew you and he didn't.

greg your the first person that i know that has maid a logical reason for longer barrels i have never thought about using slower powder longer barrel. now that said that if i am hunting i want shorter barrels. shootoing on bench go with longer barrel

Come on Greg don't be telling people stuff like that. I want to have the people I compete against have 18" barrels. I'll keep my 28"
wink.gif

No, I didn't; haven't since Danny was going. Too many memories. Last coupla times, he was my companion on the drive.

But mainly, I don't like the drive, it's at least five, sometimes seven, hours from here. I don't get home until about midnight. That's something for younger guys, nowadays.

Some remember me, most don't. I used to be involved in running them, back at the beginning.

I recognize and appreciate all the good and valid reasons for shorter barrels, and certainly don't feel critical of the folks who manage to get LR performance from shorter barrels. Their choice, more power to 'em.

But as a pardigm shift to shorter barrels for LR, I don't buy it. I see it as a fad, and wait patiently for folks to 'figure it out'.

LR and short barrels; it ain't just the barrel that's short...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come on Greg don't be telling people stuff like that. I want to have the people I compete against have 18" barrels. I'll keep my 28"
wink.gif
</div></div>
But to be tacticool you've got to have an 18" barrel!
grin.gif

I agree that in some aplications like F-class and BR that longer and heavier makes more speed and stability from a fixed position. On the flip side - I think the shorter stiffer barrel helps accuracy and in carrying one all day firing from multiple shooting postions that it is a good trade off.

Accuracy trumps fps. I don't care about 100fps, I care how well the gun shoots and can it be shot accuratly from all the required postions.

I'm not ditching long barrels - what I am saying is that it is not a fad, there seems to be some truth behind the idea and it applies to some shooting games though not all.

JamieD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Popularity be damned.

I don't care what the popular option is, I care what the winning option is, and it's as long as you can get. Look at the USA F Class Team. Are <span style="font-style: italic">they</span> running short barrels? Youbetcherass they ain't.

I went with a 28" barrel for LR F Class because anything longer would have cost a premium, period.

As above, velocity is the name of the game, but how you get it makes a big difference in bore/throat life.

With the shorter barrel, your options are limited to one, you gotta hotrod the loads.

With the longer barrel, the same velocities are accessible with lower pressures and temps, and that's the formula for a considerably better barrel longevity.

Flash hider...

Muzzle brakes are not permitted in F Class. Flash hiders are an interesting question. They may <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> be considered Kosher on the line where you shoot. Ask first, then install.

Have you actually <span style="font-style: italic">been</span> to an F Class event?

Greg </div></div>

Hey Greg cool your jets
wink.gif
and I agree that if he is going to sit down and do nothing but F-class longer barrel is better but the OP didn't say he was going to shoot F-Class. He later edited his post to indicate that he might shoot F-Class, makes a big difference in what someone might recommend for a barrel length if one has all the details from the get go.

Gosh, I sure hope I'm not going to be labeled a loser for going with a 26" tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler1833</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gosh, I sure hope I'm not going to be labeled a loser for going with a 26" tube. </div></div>

Loser for sure
laugh.gif

or be "tacticool" like me with 18"
Relevant application comes to mind...or NOT with some

I had my 260 barrel blank (Rock) finished as long as possible with a vais break. I said make it as long as you can while being comfortable with making the cuts on each end. It finished out just over 25" from bolt face to crown with the break removed.

HCA, jets cooled accordingly, I never saw the pre-edited post, and wasn't responding to anyone but the OP. Genuinely sorry if hostile impressions were generated. I'm just not a big fan of the current LR/short barrel rage.

Fact is, I favor the swing to shorter and lighter for walkabout, low volume of fire guns. For stationary, sustained fire applications, the longer/heavier gets my vote.

Greg

It seems like the OP is leaning more towards a Tactical/Hunter. Rifles are tools, you can drive a nail with a pipe wrench but a hammer works alot better. Figure out what the purpose this rifle is going to serve then build accordingly.

For hunting/tactical comps
Go light and short for multi position shooting, an 18" barreled rifle will balance nicely. Targets are not usually 1/2moa like F-class so the loss in wind bucking is not as big a deal. Easy to carry. More of a multi purpose rifle.

For F-class
Accuracy and speed are king. You want a long heavy barrel to help with velocity and launch dynamics to keep you in that 1/2moa x ring. Go single shot action because the target is pulled after every shot anyway. Prone only rifle.

I got a good Kreiger Palma barrel and left it LONG, actually about 31" then added a brake for Boomershoot. Its long enough to not be easy to handle but its used only off the bench so that is not a problem - though finding a case was a headache.
The velocities I can get are impressive, but that load of 3600 with 95 gr bullets stuck the bolt in 70 degree weather (was OK at 50). ( I should have known better!)
Today I push 140s at about 2750 and its a tackdriving popgun. Its works great so I have not tried to find the upper limits safe loads again.