• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors barrel length for suppressed .308?

Re: barrel length for suppressed .308?

It's your rifle it can be whatever you want it too be... there is really no "norm"

Just remember, you are adding between 7" and 8" to the length so if you are just moving from the car to the line, no big deal, but if you are gonna move with it, I would err a bit shorter.

Optimally if you wanted to cover all bases, 22" is about perfect.

Um, don't you mean 21 3/4"
wink.gif

i went 16" with mine , helped drop a ton of weight , way easier to move with , i rarely shoot past 700yds with that rig BUT i have pushed to 1000 with it as long as i use heavier bullets like 175g its a non issue.
I like 16" cause its not a class three , the rifle fits in the case with the can on it.

I went with 18" on my .308. I get plenty of powder burn through it. but still get a bit of flash and fouling unsuppressed. I hand load with a bit of a faster burning powder than normal to help this. If I did it again I probably would go 20" just to help that a little. Also, I have a Gemtech Quicksand and it is kind of a long suppressor.

I will post a pic if someone helps figure out how.

i have a aac cyclone which is nine inches long.. its still at the shop waiting for paperwork to come back, but we have put it on my rifle (20 inch bull barrel)and it is pretty long, however all my shooting is done from a bench or prone..it really depends on how you are going to be using the rifle.

A barrell that is 24" plus 10" equals 34", that sort of long and heavy at the end, with a 2pound supressor. Shooting from a bipod wouldn't be bad,but from a standing position it would be a little off balance.NO,there is NO set length.

I definitely prefer shorter with a suppressor.

My GAP 308 has an 18" barrel, but my DTA SRS has a 22" barrel (but it's a bullpup, so it's a 4" shorter rifle than the 18" GAP even with the longer barrel...).

Anyway, just ask yourself if you really need longer than a 20" barrel. Unless you have a strong answer, stay short.

Parker

Not to hijack the topic, but ive been rolling this question around for a while now on a .260.

I dont want to go to short and loose velocity capabilities, but I dont want to be lugging around something in the brown bess length range either.

Currently have 23.5" barrel, was thinking of not taking any off it.

Anybody chime in on .260 tube length with a can? Will be a 30P-1 on it, so 9" OAL on the can.

Thanks

I went with a 20" barrel because it was a factory gun already threaded. If I was going custom tube or having a non-threaded barrel threaded, I would have gone down to 18"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Currently have 23.5" barrel, was thinking of not taking any off it.

Anybody chime in on .260 tube length with a can? Will be a 30P-1 on it, so 9" OAL on the can.

Thanks </div></div>

I run a 24" .260 and a 20" .308 suppressed, those
lengths work for me.

How about 12.5"? It may double as a flame thrower without the can. Haven't shot it yet, still need a BCG.

DSC_0282.jpg

I just got back mine @ 21"... its a 700 in an LTR stock... I also run a 30-p1 but haven't had a chance to use it til I get a thread adapter for it. it handles well though and is not too long.... will post some more pics/info at a later date...

I have used barrel lengths from 18" to 22" in 308. I prefer the 18" as it is easier to move around with.

Or go with a reflex can the overlaps the barrel by 2-3" then you're going the same route as an 18"-20".

Get the barrel length you want/need for the ballistic capability you desire in the rifle. Most of us out here shoot 24-27" barrels for long range, with suppressors on the end.