• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel length mods

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
So, it seems like the time of year to do projects, and I'm interested in shortening the factory barrel on my 10-22 and tikka .223.

Have you guys done your own barrel shortening jobs? What tools/ techniques?

I have a belt sander, drills, drill press, hand turn pipe cutter, scroll saw, vices, regular clamps, a pretty good selection of bits... What else do I need? Or what's suggested?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas. This mighty turn out to be really cool if I get it done right.

Re: Barrel length mods

I think they're cut on a lathe. You don't want to damage the crown.

You can cut down a barrel and recrown with hand tools but it is far from advisable. You are better off letting a smith do the work. Also remember minimal barrel length is 16 inches unless you want are after a SBR, but that is whole different can of worms.

Yea I know it would be better if taken to a smith or someone experienced, but I know it can be done at home, and I'm dealing with factory barrels that I'm going to replace in the future anyways.

I think this would interesting to learn to do by myself.

I wouldn't use a pipe cutter, instead use either a wet cut-off saw (to avoid excessive heat) or hacksaw and cut as square as you can. Then get a piloted crowning tool. It would be ideal if you had access to a lathe and someone who knows what they're doing.
All this is easy for me to say, because a gunsmith I'm not.

Maybe a gunsmith Hide member can chime in and help you out!

You got big pelotas! Take pictures, lots of them. Before, during and after. Best to you on your project. Eager to see the results. Something tells me you will do it; I would never try it myself.

Re: Barrel length mods (pics)

Alright, so I went ahead and did it! I honestly have no idea what possessed me to do such a thing. But it turned out pretty well.
Barrel cutoff pics

I didn't have time to finish it and make the crown recessed or anything fancy, but here's what I was able to do. (pics will be up later)

1) measured and started cutting with a small pipe cutter. I was sure to add lube in the channel being cut.

2) then, I put the end of barrel in a small drill press vice, so just the part I wanted to cut was exposed.
-note: I also put a wad up the barrel between the chamber and the point I was cutting so nothing went back to the chamber.

3) I took a hacksaw, and making sure to clear debris and add lube, I worked my way around the barrel, until finally I got close to the rifling

4)when near the rifling, I took my sweet time making sure that I was cutting even and smoothly. Finally, the segment of the barrel popped off.

5) I used a clamp on top of the drill press vice so that the barrel was sorrounded on four sides, then I loosened the press so that I could turn the barrel, by it was being kept down by the clamp and the sides of the vice were keeping it perpendicular to side of vice.

6) I used my belt sander with sanding disk on the side and set up the vice so that it was pointing barrel straight at the disc.

7) I rotated the barrel in the vice while taking off material off the end of the barrel.

8) when done, took sandpaper and did edges (need to continue doing them) and then took a countersink bit so even off rifling (used lube and slow drill)

9) took finer grit sandpaper and started smoothing and polishing the muzzle. I need to finish because the sander marks are still evident.

I will be sure to post what pics I did take later today. I will have the chance to shoot it soon, so when I do, I will be sure to post about that as well.

I've heard of guys using a round head brass screw and lapping compound to polish up the crown.

Shoot it and see how it came out. I have cut down more than a few and use the hacksaw to get the bulk removed then cut the new crown. Results have always met expectations. It ain't rocket science.

If you cut down the 10/22 stock barrel with the banded sights it won't shoot very well....It is choked at the bore under the sight band....

Most people use a lathe. There are some quality looking hand tools to do the work, but for the money invested, you'll spend more than paying someone to do it on a lathe.

Send it to ADCO firearms- they'll probably cut and thread it for close to the price other people will cut and crown for.

I agree a lathe is the best way, but I have had excellent results with the Brownells crowning tools. I have yet to have bad results. Be sure to get the steel pilots and keep your hands away from the cutter. I just cut and crowned a 700 varmint to 20" and it is doing a bit over .50 moa without much attention to load development.